Profile Picture

Tutorial video for MetaHumans missing the most important step: "How to"

Posted By mybadstudios 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Tutorial video for MetaHumans missing the most important step: "How...

Author
mybadstudios
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)Senior Member (460 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I originally thought that iClone would not be able to use MetaHumans since live link only works with stuff exported from iClone to Unreal. My previous questions about how to import characters from the UE market place to iClone, for example, were met with "import the clothes only and then use the CC character". It seems tht stuff that originate in UE4 are not compatible with iClone/ CC.

So now I see  there is a Live Link for MetaHumans and I wonder: "How does this work?" 
Does iClone just automatically look for a character in UE4 with the name we enter? Or do we need to go from UE4 -> 3DX-> CC -> iClone -> Back to UE4?

I watched the getting started video and all it says is "You can see the character in Unreal is Samantha so we need to select Samantha in iClone since that is what we sent to Unreal". The end. Tht is the sum total of the entire "Getting started" video. Everything else is just a rehash of the other tutorials that have been done to death already. How to use animations. How to animate the face. How to use the rigs. How to double click on hand poses. How to do all the other stuff we have videos for. 

But how to actually get started using Metahumans in iClone? Do we have to export the character from Unreal into iClone/CC then export it back to Unreal (and delete the original) ? No clue. 
Edited
3 Years Ago by mybadstudios
animagic
This post has been flagged as an answer
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I think someone more qualified should answer this. I agree that the overview video is too fast and not very clear.

I thought a CC character in iClone served as the driver, but it seems more complicated than that...Unsure

I think it is helpful to check out this thread: https://forum.reallusion.com/486904/Animate-MetaHuman-in-Unreal-with-iClone-Unreal-Live-Link.

It is as I thought, a CC3+ character serves as a dummy character to control the MetaHuman in UE. The mentioning of 3DXchange is confusing, as that doesn't seem necessary.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
3 Years Ago by animagic
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 39 minutes ago
animagic (7/5/2021)
It is as I thought, a CC3+ character serves as a dummy character to control the MetaHuman in UE. The mentioning of 3DXchange is confusing, as that doesn't seem necessary.

The 3DX option is if you need to make your own dummy, rather than use one of the existing ones. If Epic introduces additional Metahuman body types, then there is a way to make dummy driver characters for those additional types.

Reading This Topic