Motion Capture Plug-in - iClone7 - Windows10 - Kinect Xbox OneV2

Posted By Snarp Farkle 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

Motion Capture Plug-in - iClone7 - Windows10 - Kinect Xbox OneV2

Author
asecretofthe
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)Senior Member (312 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
your computer can't power the kinnect. You need to use the MS power injector. Because the kinnect needs ALLOT more power then USB 3.0 can provide. 

Speaking of USB 3.0. Your computer needs to have USB 3.0 built-in. Some people have managed to get it working with a PCI usb 3.0 card. But even if you get one of the usb 3.0 cards that are known to work. Half the time it doesn't work. so really USB 3.0 built in. 

The kinnect plugin sends your kinnect data to iClone. So you still need iClone.
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
@asecretofthe
Thanks for confirming about the power ....
And yes, - good point re: the speed .... I've been reading through articles regarding the V2's USB 3 requirement / issues.
(Hoping my laptop will handle the 5Gb/sec data rate).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
《/^\》
《/^\》
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
sonicthehedgehog_24 (3/22/2018)
Am I missing anything here? - apart from my marbles w00t
Other than the software mentioned at the top of this thread, and the required hardware ie: SENSOR and PC-USB3 ADAPTER, is there any additional power supply required? Or does the sensor get it's operating power from the USB connection?
Anyone know?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/55dc8522-8070-4574-b074-4f6d.png

The adapter has power plug which you plug into your wall socket
Just a note though on motion capture from the kennect,  it's not as smooth as advertised,  there can be a lot of jitters & I found iClone crashed a lot but I only had a 4GB GPU & 16GB RAM 😉
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Hi《/^\》...
I stumbled across this video - the narrator says he was happy with the results he'd obtained from a SINGLE Kinect sensor (and that he'd stopped using 2 sensors).
I'm still finding how to use ONE sensor w00t - I hope Snarp Farkle isn't too upset with me highjacking his thread Crying
As to whether the guy in this video has hit on anything 'special' with his approach or not - I'm not sure. Maybe someone with more experience can comment on this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YAunipIKEyw

But yeah《/^\》- I hope you don't mind me calling you by your first name BigGrin - yeah I really don't know how anyone can totally know if they're in for problems unless they actually try it (not sure if that's wise tho?) - nothing ventured and all that ... (it'll probably totally backfire on me)
Anyone else with real life experiences / tips / advice ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
《/^\》
《/^\》
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
sonic7 (3/23/2018)
Hi《/^\》...
I stumbled across this video - the narrator says he was happy with the results he'd obtained from a SINGLE Kinect sensor (and that he'd stopped using 2 sensors).
I'm still finding how to use ONE sensor w00t - I hope Snarp Farkle isn't too upset with me highjacking his thread Crying
As to whether he's hit on anything special with his approach or not - maybe someone more experienced / discerning can comment on this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YAunipIKEyw

But yeah《/^\》- I hope you don't mind me calling you by your first name BigGrin - yeah I really don't know how anyone can totally know if they're in for problems unless they actually try it (not sure if that's wise tho?) - nothing ventured and all that ... (it'll probably totally backfire on me)
Anyone else with real life experiences / tips / advice ?

You can call me by my first name or full name 《/^\》+《[[□]]》😄, within that video he is using multiple programs to refine the motion, I'm referring to using the iClone plugin alone. I have bought it used it & requested a refund as it's very difficult to get any smooth motion & its really only front on motions.
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@《/^\》 ..... I understand.
You're right; - this thread's about the Kinect Xbox OneV2 as used with iClone's Motion Capture Plug-in.
You're being totally honest and although part of me doesn't want to hear it 😲 (that it's disappointing to the point of returning it), - there's also part of me that wants to think it'll work out satisfactorily enough.😊
I'm sure you're not the only one who's obtained sub par results - (remind's me of Kelley's "Good, Fast, Cheap - pick any two" illustration) -
 ...... in my case I'm goin' for 'GOOD' AND 'FAST' - but on a low budget ! 😨

It'd be nice to hear from someone who's got a "success story" to tell though....
There's up and coming indy film makers who really want to know about this stuff !!!
Can anyone post some half-successful results obtained from the Kinect v2 (using iClone's Plugin)?

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Fellow dreamers and 'would-be owners' of a budget Mocap system - (that includes me!), - guess it's time to check how we're traveling here ....
Actually it seems a tad deserted ! - not many attempting this? - probably quite a few have already - I'm a late starter - but I'm digging and scratching my way around ( hope I don't end up down one of those 'ever narrowing rabbit holes' - and getting totally 'stuck'! ) 😩

Here's some more clues to the 'trail' (or 'trial' - depending on your experience).....

● 64-bit processor
● A Physical duel-core 3.1 GHz (2 logical cores per physical)  *** mine's an AMD A9-9410 is that enough? - how can you tell anyway?)😦
● DirectX 11 required.
● USB 3.0 port, Intel and Renesas chipsets only.  *** Not sure if there are exceptions to this??
● 4 GB Memory (or more).
● Installing the correct software and ONLY the correct version for YOUR particular Kinect SENSOR:
    ○ Kinect for Xbox ONE ---- ('XBOX' on the top)
    ○ Kinect for Xbox ---- ('XBOX 360' on the front)
    ○ Kinect for Windows ---- ('Kinect' on the front)
● A high percentage of purchasers report failure in getting their unit to function. (mostly because their hardware is in some way not suitable).
● Some have reported periodic disconnection of the Kinect v2 as just 'part' of their ongoing experience.
● Isolated reports of Kinect v2 sensor totally 'dying' further down the track.Yikes! 😨

So, does this sound like a recipe for a 'successful Mocap' or rather a recipe for 'disaster' ?
With so much 'hassle' involved why would any 'sane' person even venture down this path?

Well IF you're really technically 'savvy', you'd simply take all this in your stride and acquire the necessary hardware / software - no problems ....
But if you struggle with the technical (like me), it's definitely a hard slog trying to piece it all together one bit at a time.
The way I see it - if there's even a 'chance' for success though - I'd give it a shot .... (yes - it helps to be slightly 'insane' as well). 😆

What's the 'worst' thing that could happen? - well, I'd have to sell my laptop and buy a more suitable replacement - one that WOULD work.
It's really not possible to know for sure if any given PC or laptop will work with the Kinect UNTIL you actually try it. - It shouldn't be that way - but it is.
Obviously you'd make sure your PC was ticking enough boxes first.
I'm keenly waiting on Snarp Farkle's findings once he takes delivery of his kit - this is exciting stuff!....
If anyone's managed to overcome problems and succeed with this - please chime in! Your experience is much needed !

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e3792841-44e5-4f02-a73c-35f4.jpg

Can anyone with "technical" knowhow - please comment on these ACER Aspire E15 specs (for use with the Kinect MOCAP) ........................

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

■■■ Kinect Hardware versions ■■■

● I knocked up this visual to help alleviate some of the confusion regarding the various models

Please note that although I try my best to be as accurate as possible - I'm 'human' and can make mistakes!. Please use other sources to 'cross check' before committing to any purchase.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/96d5ab2d-19b8-4c68-b1fd-e2d7.png

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
@asecretofthe, You posted:  

"Is there a trick to connecting this to iClone 7?
I'm trying  iClone 7.2 Trial with Kinect Mocap Plug-in - Xbox One v1.0 Trial,
The Kinnect Mocap Plug-in can connect to the kinnect one. And I'm able to calibrate.
But when I open iClone 7.2, 'Device MoCap' is grayed out in the animation menu.
Am I missing some thing? Or is there another peace of software I need to install?"

Did you ever resolve this issue?

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Edited
6 Years Ago by Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hi sonic7,

I went with the xBox One sensor because it seemed to be the one referred to on [THIS PAGE], if you look at the comparisons it shows it to be the one to use.  I'm still struggling to get heat in my new office so I can be a little more objective on all this, I will update my original post with some positive responses to the questions I've seen so far. 

Not as many users seem to be going this route now days, and since I can not afford the Perception Neuron setup this is the only way I can get motion capture at this time, but I made a commitment to get it working, iron out the bugs and explain the best I can how I did it.  So please don't worry about posting your questions in this thread, we learn from each other, that's what makes this forum so special! Wink

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

Reading This Topic