Justaviking's iClone 7 corner

Posted By justaviking 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
R Ham
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
This is the kind of topic I've been looking for. I've subscribed. Be seeing you.

"Less clicks good, more clicks bad."
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I've been intending to post a couple things here, but my "intentions" to improve them before posting have resulted in me posting nothing.  So even though I still have a couple things I intend to do to "finish" them, I finally decided to share them anyway.

First, I present to you...  Toilet paper.
Okay, go ahead and laugh.  It's funny, but only until you run out.  Then we'll see how funny you think it is.

I am convinced in addition to lighting and a couple other items, one of the big contributors to iClone rendering looking like they came from iClone is TEXTURES.

Here is a toilet paper roll holder, with TP on it, modeled in Blender by my young son.  It's not bad, and this is where a lot of iClone props stop.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/82e371a1-6fc6-4061-ab18-8af0.jpg

I had some fun in Substance Designer, and created three substances:
1) A custom "dust" material where I have adjustable sliders for the amount and opacity of the dust, how far it spreads, how it collects in the recesses, and also the color and roughness of the metal.  Dust?  Surely I am not the only person whose brand of TP lets a few fibers float away and make a light layer of dust on the holder.  (TMI?)
2) A "toilet paper print" pattern, including a couple of parameters such as the "lumpiness" of the overall surface.
3) A "concentric circles" substance, suitable for the ends of the toilet paper roll, also usable on paper towels, gift wrap, or even disk brake rotors.  I have several parameters for that, too, including the intensity of the rings and a warping factor so it's not all perfectly circular.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5df5bbaa-f48c-4d23-9161-dd20.jpg
(Normally this would not be used in the middle of an outdoor patio.)

This model does not have the cardboard tube painted in it.  It is a trivial thing, but needs to be added to the model in Blender.  And the model should be re-unwrapped to, rather than just using the automated default unwrapping.  I never seem to get around to doing it, but as you can tell I finally decided to post my picture anyway.

I also created my first-ever "morph" in iClone, so I have a morph slider to adjust how much paper is left,  from this "full roll" down to about "1/4 remaining."  It would be fun to also have a separate "empty cardboard tube" which could also be removed, leaving only the empty holder.

I was telling a coworker about this, and then we started looking at a roll of paper towels on the lunch table.  That inspired me to try my hand at that, so I made a paper towel substance.  I was actually very pleased with how the "fine fibers" turned out.  I think it made the paper look soft and plush, and hopefully very absorbent.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8d4c453d-2884-4b3c-9c80-7d9e.jpg

If you zoom in on this picture, you'll see what I mean about the soft, fuzzy texture.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/604facf2-0ec1-4869-a728-40ec.jpg

I've been working on some terry cloth towels too, with customizable monograms, but I'll save them for another day.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking
mark
mark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
Never thought I would ever say this but...that's beautiful toilet paper!!!Tongue

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

mark (4/23/2018)
Never thought I would ever say this but...that's beautiful toilet paper!!!Tongue

LOL.  (And "thanks.")

I might have shared this confession before, but before I made the Substance, I tried scanning some toilet paper.  (Yes, "clean.")  I have to say, you know you have a strange hobby when you find yourself putting toilet paper on your scanner.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Tarampa Studios
Tarampa Studios
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
ROFLMAO @ your toilet paper jokes, but crikey, what a great job!...
I especially love that 3rd texture of the paper towelling in the last pic. 
That would look great on a teddy bear!

Looking forward to seeing your toweling texture. 
well done! 
Smile

Anita, aka "Bleetz" the Toon Wrangler @ Tarampa Studios
SYS: Win 8.1,  64-bit, i7-4770 CPU @3.4GHz,  
32GB RAM, Intel(R)Graphics 4600 & nVIDIA GTX1060 TI 

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for the happy comments, Tarampa.

Here is a picture of my concentric circles with the adjustable "warp" applied:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c8c9f447-fc24-4f6b-9b32-8cc6.jpg

As long as I'm sharing semi-completed works, here is a sample of my towel.  At one point I had a version I really liked, then I regressed, so "some day" I'm going to have to revisit my older revisions of the substance and combine the best of all that I like.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f206062a-51d6-4a24-a8f8-9320.jpg

The "body" is my towel substance (the arms are someone else's material I applied while playing in Substance Painter).  You can see I made a "band" too, since a lot of towels have that shorter-looped band that goes across near the ends of the towel.

I learned that iClone does not support the "Text input" variable, so I had to complicate my substance by creating a "pick list" of monograms (A-Z, His, and Hers).  I need to write that up in Feedback Tracker one of these days.

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking
Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Viking: Smile

Very nice work man. You're wiping the competition, and doing it with style.

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Good pun, Peter.
I was afraid my substance would be the butt of all jokes.

mark
mark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
Have to confess I'm getting a bit flushed with all this potty talk!!!!TongueTongue

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I think that we need to get to the bottom of this issue. HeheSmile

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

Reading This Topic