Planar tracking or what?

Posted By sonic7 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

Was wondering if anyone can anyone help with what's going to be my biggest hurdle by far.....
I've seen results of 'planar tracking' where a simple 'rectangle' on the side of a building (a moving shot), is replaced with say a 'sign' (lettering).
But what I'm wanting to achieve involves not just a static sign, but rather an actor's motion.
Imagine this:
An actor (real person), goes through the 'motion' of 'climbing' a narrow ladder. (This could be shot against blue screen).
That captured footage is then somehow 'tracked' to match an iClone model of a narrow ladder (in this case rising up the side of a circus 'king-pole').
Both shots are 'moving' - yet the composite needs to be convincing (as though the actor *really is* climbing that pole [model]).
I'm uncertain of the best way to go about this, and I'm sure it's the most difficult thing I'm likely to need for my project.....
I realize some would suggest animating an avatar to do the actual climb, but I have reasons for needing a 'real' human.
Any suggestions?? .... or links to videos?? (I'm *hoping* it can be achieved with something I already use). Thanx Smile
Steve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Would the camera be moving with the actor?

As long as the perspective doesn't change, you could place the actor on a plane (you would need video with alpha) and tweak the plane moving upward along your ladder, such that the upward movement looks plausible. (This is my "fudging" approach of solving problems...) 

Fortunately, we have real compositing gurus among us, which hopefully will have a better answer.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

@animagic .... The actual 'move' is yet to be finalized. *IF* there was a 'sure fire' approach to this, I'd use a dramatic 'fly-by' or 'move around' (for maximum impact).
Failing that, I could perhaps 'fudge' the shot by limiting the camera move. The easiest way would be to use 'static' shots - which would be as simple as chroma-keying.
But I'm hoping for the dynamic first option - if possible. (I could use it in other ways in the same project) ...... thanks for your thoughts - I may have to go that way - but still *hoping* .... Smile
I'm open to *any* suggestions really ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
sonic7 Smile

Having just done a composite shot I would recommend using a path for your camera. It's pretty difficult to match up the composite unless you do.
[Got burned through experience Whistling ] Not sure what to say about the other. Billboard would be my first test but....

Cool pete 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
Edited
6 Years Ago by Peter Blood
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Pete ... I'm just trying to understand your suggestion ..... I'm a tad confused (nothing new), but I'll keep re-reading until it becomes clear .... be patient with me ..... Smile

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Edit

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Yeah, I don't think I understood your issue as well as I first thought sorry.

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

No - it's valid Pete - I'm getting 'ideas' from what you've said - even if not exactly what you intended - I'm gathering 'pieces' of this ..... it's a 3D puzzle in my mind - every bit helps ..... Smile  so thanks ....

I'm thinking there's got to be a way to use some sort of 'reference' markers on both the actor's position as well as the iClone camera position.
Then somehow matching them up .....

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
This a complex thing you are trying to do, and it can be hard to explain, why don't you do a small animatic (rough animation Just to illustrate things) so we can see how you intend to move the camera and how you will be framing things, because depending on the camera movement you could try a method like animagic suggested, cause it could be easily solved with a plane with alpha video and some transform keys or you might need to do some camera tracking or whatever but it will be hard to tell unless we actually see what you are trying to accomplish
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yeah ... OK raxel .... I'll try to put something visual together to help ....

Edited
6 Years Ago by sonic7

Reading This Topic