Profile Picture

Character "look at". How it works? Where is the Transition Areas?

Posted By dogged2003 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Author
Problem.png
dogged2003
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have a scene,: three people are talking. They look at the speaker. Seeing off the birds.
I use Look At. Actors are unpredictably twisting their heads. No Transit ion for Look At.
Prompt the guide!
Thank you.

My YouTube channel.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Yeah, I wouldn't use "Look at" if I were you.  It's an old, old setting that others have reported not working reliably.  Just animate via hand.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
You set the transition by using the release function within the tool.  The transition will occur between the "look at" frame and the "release" frame within the timeline (under constraints).  To set the transition at the beginning of the action you need to set a look at key and then select release to overwrite the key. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
The look at transition can be found in the timeline, there is a bar next to the keyframe, pull that backwards and it will create the transition. Look at has a weird behavior that forced you to create extra look at keyframes, in other words if your character starts looking at the birds but further along the timeline they start looking elsewhere click on look at and select the birds again. Also if you right click on the constraint link track before the keyframe you can select release from the pop up menu which also Works better than clicking on set free. Another thing to keep in mind is that look at looks at the prop's pivot so be sure it is in the right place, also it is easier if you make them look at a dummy box and move that around instead, it is easier and more practical, plus you have more control
dogged2003
dogged2003
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Kelleytoons (4/3/2018)
  It's an old, old setting.

I do not think that this is a very old setting, in the sixth it was updated:

but maybe it's a fake with a dummy. With additional objects and labor ...

My YouTube channel.
dogged2003
dogged2003
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I've got it!
Short description:

First "Look at" application and transition time:
1. Right-click the mouse a little earlier choose Release, get a triangle - this is to regulate entry into the "Look at".
2. In the subsequent frames, set "Look at" the object you want.

Switch to another object (if there is one, or see the Finish immediately)
For a few frames before switching, make "Look at" the previous object. We get two triangles to regulate the transition section!

Finish the 
"Look at":
1. We release from "Look at" a place where the influence should end (and in fact the actor has long been looking the other way).
2. Go back a few frames back, copy and paste "Look at". We get two triangles to regulate the transition section!

And: In the timeline right click a look-at keyframe open transition curve presets to have custom  motion between keyframes.

Many thanks to all for explanations and additions!
My short video about it:

My YouTube channel.
Edited
6 Years Ago by dogged2003

Reading This Topic