Profile Picture

Unity Auto Setup

Posted By Victor.Soupday 3 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 10 votes.
Author
tantrum
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Ohh, ok got it.  I reference it as 0.1.7 so it threw me off Smile

Thanks for confirming.
cly3d
cly3d
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
@Victor.Soupday 
The work you're doing is inspirational. I've been speaking about it in the Unity Facebook group for Virtual production: https://www.facebook.com/groups/892348284544650 
It would be great to have you there.

Yesterday, to evaluate piplelines and render fidelity I downloaded both Blender and UE to try things out.
I get turned off rather fast in UE. Granted I'm looking for the most artist-friendly, intuitive approach - and when livelink in UE came up with a "black" character, I just deleted the project and shut it.
Your blender importer - I loved. To be honest I don't see much of an advantage of learning blender (for rendering) given that Unity's HDRP and now path tracing might be almost the same.

Which brings me to the reason for this post:
Would it be possible at all, to include the excellent Environment options you put into the blender importer, into Unity? It would really kickstart things for newbies to lighting Digital characters.
Of course, UE has the luxury of nearly a whole scene being sent from iclone in realtime.. but the Blender CC3 environment setup would be great to begin with.

Many thanks again for your excellent work!

cly3d
cly3d
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Two things I've come across:
- If baking the shader so as to then use Lit->tesselated on the baked prefab, then Path tracing won't work on that particular material. Is this a Unity limitation?
- Path tracing is not working on the eye (empty holes are rendered) either in baked prefab or normal prefab 
Any ideas how to get path tracing to work?
Regards.
Victor.Soupday
Victor.Soupday
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
cly3d (8/28/2021)
Would it be possible at all, to include the excellent Environment options you put into the blender importer, into Unity? It would really kickstart things for newbies to lighting Digital characters.
Of course, UE has the luxury of nearly a whole scene being sent from iclone in realtime.. but the Blender CC3 environment setup would be great to begin with.

I thought about doing something like that, but it's much more complicated to do in Unity as all the lighting set-up is scattered about the Lighting Volumes and Overrides, Project Settings and HDRP assets. There's no safe place to set it up except in a new empty scene in a new project. The only thing that springs to mind that could work in this regard is template scenes. It's a possibility...
Victor.Soupday
Victor.Soupday
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

cly3d (8/28/2021)
Two things I've come across:
- If baking the shader so as to then use Lit->tesselated on the baked prefab, then Path tracing won't work on that particular material. Is this a Unity limitation?
- Path tracing is not working on the eye (empty holes are rendered) either in baked prefab or normal prefab 
Any ideas how to get path tracing to work?
Regards.

Going by the Unity documentation there's a lot path tracing doesn't support. Tessellation and Vertex animation (Used in the eye) being amongst them.

The empty holes in the eye could be down to screen space refraction and reflections not being enabled in the lighting volume.

Edited
3 Years Ago by Victor.Soupday
cly3d
cly3d
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Victor.
 I has a hunch some things might not yet be supported in Pathtracing. I did enable screenspace refraction and reflection in the volume as well as in main hdrp and hdrp raytrace assets But stil get gray "holes" for the eyes.
(Jeeze I wish unity would simplify things with these "hdrp assets" So many tick boxes in multiple places for the same effect. 

But anyway, I think I'll not be using path tracing so much for now so I'm back to just raytrace.
One thing I've found is that when using the "Realistic Eye movement" asset https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/animation/realistic-eye-movements-29168  - there is a lag with the eye occlusion and tearline shaders "catching up" with the main eyes, resulting in a weird effect on the eyes. Probably because the realistic eye movement asset targets the main eye bone/eyeball objects of CC3 characters.  Choosing late update/fixed update seems to have no effect.

But I guess that's something that developer will have to look into.
Overall, very happy with the way the CC3 importer works and the amount of fine-grained tuning options you've exposed when importing.

I just tried importing a camera movement FBX into unity. That works great too - at least transforms work and copying settings for FOV and sensor size in the Unity camera panel, gives a 1:1 match to iclone cameras.
DoF would have been great.. ahh well.

Sovo
Sovo
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hey, thanks for the tool.  I'm having some trouble with getting animations to work properly with CC3-imported assets and was wondering whether you could point me in the right direction.  Setup is:
  • Unity 2020 LTS
  • Base character export from CC3
  • Conversion tool installed from github
  • Humanoid Rigging Change for the CC3 FBX
  • Mixamo idle animation
  • Humanoid Rigging Change for the Mixamo FBX
  • Animation Controller with one state - Mixamo idle animation
What I notice is that the CC3 Character seems somewhat "tilted."  Legs slide around and clip during "breathing" motions of the animation in a way that does not occur with other models.  I can't say for sure, but something seems to be off with the hip bone.  Here's a quick screen grab of the tilted posture.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0a041376-2547-4c7a-b9e0-da24.png
Victor.Soupday
Victor.Soupday
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Sovo (9/3/2021)
What I notice is that the CC3 Character seems somewhat "tilted."  Legs slide around and clip during "breathing" motions of the animation in a way that does not occur with other models.  I can't say for sure, but something seems to be off with the hip bone.

Sliding legs and feet in a stationary or idle animation is a sign that the animation should be baked into the XY plane. Otherwise it tries to keep the character centred on it's original position or centre of mass which causes the legs and feet to look like they're sliding around the floor.

Baking the rotation may also help with the tilting.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7c5aea19-60ea-422c-80ed-0071.png
Sovo
Sovo
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)New Member (64 reputation)

Thank you.  I will investigate tonight and report back.  I have to say that other models do work with animations as-is.  I don't mind altering each animation for compatibility, but it would be nice if out-of-the-pipeline the models were compatible.
Sovo
Sovo
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Here's the results using a comparison of a Character Creator default character and a Unity asset store model after setting the animation clip settings as you illustrate in your screenshot above.  I'm also attaching a screenshot that shows the difference between a Synty low poly model and a Character Creator 3 model using the same animator controller.  Unfortunately the tilt remains.  I appreciate your insight.  Any ideas for other things I could try?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9a1cf4c3-bf56-431d-89ab-ef67.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cfb4cbdd-7308-4c6b-97ba-96a7.png
Edited
3 Years Ago by Sovo

Reading This Topic