Profile Picture

Game base to Unreal Engine 4

Posted By trafalgamer 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
trafalgamer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
This is the result I get with a game base character using the Auto setup for 4.25 (Look at the nose and ears, you might need to view full size image), this happens with CC3 and CC3+ base characters and with normal export and InstaLOD.
I never had this issue before until I upgraded to 3.3
I get the same result without using CC setup and manually create the materials.
The mesh is around 17K triangles.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b83451cc-b6f0-476e-9c42-eece.png

trafalgamer
trafalgamer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)Senior Member (433 reputation)

After some investigations I concluded that it's a normal map issue, the way the Bump texture is generated in CC 3.3 is different from CC 3.1 when converting to a game base character, like I mentioned I didn't have this issue with 3.1. I have some base color and bump textures saved from 3.1 and when I applied them to my new 3.3 base game character the issue is fixed.

This is the difference, any ideas how I can overcome this issue ?
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/65cbed94-a5ff-4445-9a55-a2c8.png

Here's a video where I switched the CC 3.3 normal map with one from 3.1 : 

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I do not know Unreal, but there is a clear difference between your screenshot and your video.

On the screenshot both maps use the same normal Y, while on the video they are different.

Check your export settings, making sure you use correct Y-/Y+ for your engine. That could be whole problem.

trafalgamer
trafalgamer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks for replying, to be honest I'm not very experienced with normal maps, the first images were meant to show the difference between the exported normal map of 3.3 and 3.1 both are from different characters.
I will take a look at the export settings and see if I can figure something out, I simply use the available Unreal preset in CC export but perhaps something is wrong.

Thanks for your help.
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Here is what I mean. On the screenshot both normal maps (3.3 and 3.1) have the same normal Y.
As an example I have shown a particular area around a knee. It appears *Outset*.
But on the 3.3 normal map on the video it is *Inset*. And that is what probably casing a problem.
(Aside from the fact that 3.3 normal is a bit *stronger*).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/3677fe49-2d5e-4727-a64e-83b0.jpg

This is where to play with Y normal settings. Maybe there is a bug, so try one way or another.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/71a6fbc4-645d-4a1b-b1ef-df49.jpg

And another indication. Inverted Green (Y) channel for White color gives you exactly that purple background.

Edited
4 Years Ago by 4u2ges
trafalgamer
trafalgamer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Oh I see what you mean now, unfortunately no changes. I'll import the mesh inside some other 3D software and see if it looks the same. I'm starting to think I might have to re-install CC3 or revert to 3.1 if I can.
Thank you so much for your help I appreciate it.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0ecc71a-3f97-47ca-9497-275a.png
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

No problem.
But yellow background now indicates that Z is inverted lol....
At this point I am not sure how it's supposed to be in UE. I was just making a logical assumption.

Wait until UE power user Bassline303 shows up. He'd be able to help you.

trafalgamer
trafalgamer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

haha interesting. I learned new things about normal maps from your replies so I appreciate that.
Hopefully someone can report if they have the same issue, it's easy to replicate:
1- Convert the Base CC3 or CC3+ to a game base character.
2- Export using Unreal preset
3- Import to UE4 (I'm using 4.25)

I have this video showing my steps, I even tried exporting with no eyes, mouth etc only body but same result.

charly Rama
charly Rama
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Hi, I don't know if it's the same issue.For me it happens  without conversion to game character. Look at this video, the shoulder and the arm, there is a kind of squares. At Iclone, everything is okay

Edited
4 Years Ago by charly Rama
trafalgamer
This post has been flagged as an answer
trafalgamer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Problem solved thanks to 4u2ges who figured it out.
My issue is in the preferences of CC, I had this set to 1024x1024 by default, after changing it to max value (or at least something reasonable than 1024) the issue is finally solved.
Again many thanks to 4u2ges I appreciate it.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/82c571e3-344c-4fd0-b9e9-35dd.png

Reading This Topic