Less Feature Updates MORE PERFORMANCE

Posted By greggoryaddison 4 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 3 votes.
Author
Postfrosch
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
CC 3.3 does NOT delete the Skingen Temp files from the Temp folder after exiting the program.
Large amounts of files are left behind and have to be removed by hand (or CC Cleaner).
Operating system Win 10 (up to date)
Greets from Germany
Postfrosch

--------------------------------------------------------------
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cd9c9a06-21a5-44c5-9f67-6810.jpg
Terry Miller
Terry Miller
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Let me weigh in here as well. I have been a faithful iClone user for about 5 years now. The program boasts more features than ever.... and is more unstable than ever. A typical day of trying to animate with iClone results in repeated crashes and unexplained slow-downs. Today, I am working on a scene that has 180,000 tris and is 144 MBs (so far, only one character in it). Everything was lovely, until iClone suddenly decided to stop working. When I hit play now, it plays five frames and crashes. I am currently in the process of deleting each asset one-by-one to see why iClone has decided to bail on me. Since I have been writing this post, it has crashed three times.

Reallusion: Please, for Heaven's sake, before you release any more features, fix the program so that it will run the ones you have now! I have wasted the last three hours today trying to get this program to work the way a normal person would expect a program they had shelled out literally thousands of dollars on to work!

OK, rant over. We now return you to your regularly scheduled complaints.

Thanks,
Terry

Intel Xeon CPU E3-1505M-v6 @3.0 GHz
64 GB RAM
nVidia Quadro P5000, 16 GB vRAM
animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
@Terry: I see you have a Quadro. Unfortunately that is not an optimum/recommended GPU for iClone. 

System requirements are a bit hard to find, but are at the bottom of this page: https://www.reallusion.com/iclone/download.html. You want the recommended specifications or better.

I'm have a system with an Nvidia GTX 1080i and it works pretty well for me. I could use more VRAM, so I'm hoping for the RTX 3000 series.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Terry Miller
Terry Miller
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Yes, I know the Quadro isn't the best for iClone. Unfortunately, this is a work computer, so I have to use what they bought for me. That would not have been my choice, but they didn't ask me... ;-(

On my home computer, I run a 1070, and yes, it does give me pretty good performance. However, iClone still crashes far more often than it should. It just occurred to me that I was running the Smooth Camera Follow Pythin script today, and it made me wonder if that is what has been giving me problems...
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I did a little testing yesterday ,   after considering the impact that I was getting on my internet...I updated my Network Drivers - my performance actually improved ...the software is still sluggish, and painfully slow  but it doesnt feel like its going to crash after every click anymore. 

if your system uses the "Killer Network" software drivers,  try updating to the latest release  -  the killer network software is known to be unstable - unfortunately they are a staple in some MSI motherboards. ( msi motherboards are amazing,  but their software is really bad )

Edited
4 Years Ago by planetstardragon
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

after running a few benchmarks,  and monitoring my system performance -

It seems the bottleneck is happening somewhere in the CPU path -  Im using a I7 4770k -  that auto overclocks and when Iclone / CC3 are running their processes is the one spec I constantly see running in the Red -  even though I still see lots of headroom - the monitor still light's it up as red

The i7 has 4 cores but normally treats it as 8 -   I only see iclone using 4 -  so I imagine they are not using the virtual tech of the CPU to go all 8 cores - as 4 cores remained dormant during the process.

overall my whole system gets spiked ....especially the drives when I first fire up a process in CC3 -  but it's a short spike and the only one taking a constant heavy load is the CPU -   my video card hardly budges and remains unstressed ...I was using "Kombuster 3" to monitor my card,  and in benchmarks I'm actually performing very close to the RTX series -  Kombuster is tied to an online ratings list with AMD showing as the most powerful video cards on the market.  AMD had ratings in the 90k and the fastest RTX was under 40k  ...with my 1070 coming in at 36-37k 

Most taxed in this order

1 - CPU
2 - Hard Drive
3 - Ram

video card not taxed at all,  normal function.

The bottleneck in my system is happening before the data reaches my video card.   -  with my video card processing all data almost instantly according to Kombuster 3.

If anyone else is monitoring or benchmarking their systems to track down the bottlenecks - please post so we can compare results ....

I was using the basic Task Manager to monitor CPU, Ram and Disc
I was also using the Intell Extreme Tuning Utility to monitor my CPU performing at 3.9 mhz
and Kombuster 3 to monitor my video card performance.- which avgs 1632 mhz,   1832 mhz factory overclock,  and can oc to 2.3 mhz with 8g vram.
( the 2.3 mhz is a danger zone where I can risk burning out my card if used at that speed for too long,  but i can go there and goes to show more the headroom I have available instead of actual usage,   the system also underclocks  my video card to 187 mhz when not in use )

Edited
Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Try to work in "Quick Mode , Minimal Mode , or Custom Mode" ,  especially when you are working with a lot of Characters at once and your GPU is not the fastest , don't use Subdivisions , better use Tessellation if needed.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I tried that yesterday actually -  no difference in performance,   but I do agree it helps with slower video cards - where the bottleneck is in the card itself.

I'm trying to think of all drivers that might impede RL software ....seems part of the issue is that RL software bursts so much data in 1 shot ,  that any other drivers or softwares running get slammed in the process.....

I'm thinking the Developers are using unrealistic set ups -   maxed out ram, top of the line video cards and running nothing else -  unlike normal users that use computers for other things as well.....that's what my benchmarks have been showing so far from the blast of data I'm getting from CC3 and Iclone. 

Basically RL software runs like trump when he shoved everyone else out the way at the convention lol

Edited
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I'm benching Iclone 7 today,  -  7 is apparently using all 8 cores of my cpu
CC3 was only using 4 - and there is a performance difference

Can anyone else confirm on a similar system ?

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

another fun discovery,   I just got the out of memory error again on Iray -  but my benchmark says only half my vram is being used ! w00t

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c9204847-bc6d-4ef5-9614-b1b5.jpg

Reading This Topic