LINKING - ATTACHING

Posted By jef.goris2 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jef.goris2
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
When I want to link or attach a CUSTOM prop, like a hat, to a character, I clone 7 tells me that it isn't possible.
Is there a way to attach or link a hat to a character that walks along a path ?
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
What exactly are the steps you try to do this, because it should be straightforward.

You select the prop and then in the Modify panel there are options to Link or Attach.

Select one or the other and the cursor will turn into a selection marker (don't know how to call it).

With the marker you then click on the appropriate area of the character in the view port. So for a hat it would be the head.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

jef.goris2
jef.goris2
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)Veteran Member (679 reputation)

Hello, you're absolutely wright and everything you say is wright as long as you use a PROP from TEMPLATE. When
you use a prop that you made by yourself, like a hat, you select it, than you got that little quare and position it above
the face of the character and enter, it won't work. I clone 7 don't let you attach or link props which you made by yourself.
(I mean CUSTOM props) At least this is my experience but i am a beginner.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Are you sure they are props and not, for example, clothing?  How exactly did you make them?  (Give us the step by step process).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
jef.goris2
jef.goris2
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

I made a hat in BLENDER, than exported in FBX, imported in 3 D X CHANGE, and from there I send it to I Clone 7 as a prop. After I read your comment I did everything over new,
and i can ATTACH the hat to a part of my character, it's a CC STANDARD character with a new body from one of the 100 RL Head serie. I have the possibility to attach the hat
to the Root bone, or to the eye, I don't have the possibility to attach the hat to the head.  When i let my character walk along a path wit an EZ motion walk the hat don't follow
the character. What do I do wrong ?
animagic
animagic
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
I don't have iClone open right now so this is from memory. In the Modify section where you Attach or Link where you see name of the bone listed, there is a button with three dots. Click that and you will see the full bone hierarchy where you can select the head.

I would suggest to check the manual for details.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

jef.goris2
jef.goris2
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Hey, You solved my problem ! Thanks a lot. I was already thinking when you use the Edit Motion Layer you see all the
bones of the character. But I couldn't find where i could find them, untill you solved it. I linked the hat to the head bone
and now the hat follows nicely the character, and now I can also link a bag to the right hand of my character. Again,
thanks for helping me. ( It's not so easy for me, i am 71 and English is nog my native language)
esemgee
esemgee
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
@animagic. Like an idiot I am trying to have a character play guitar. I am using moves and guitar from Rock band. And here lies the problem - the body of a guitar is sort of static, but the neck can 'move' up and down, forward and back, etc from the body's central point. How can that be done in iClone? If I link the fretboard to the hand then the body goes mad, or the body to waist, then the neck is miles from the hand. I had hoped I could attach the hand to the fretboard but I get an error message, says I can't attach something to itself. I think that is a clue, if hands can attach to props then is this guitar a prop? How do I find out? Somewhere there is a tutorial on a person using a spear or staff that has similar moves - one arm is different to another, though not as dramatic motions. There is little help from the pages of Rockband - just the obvious 'learn to animate', but I am sure there must have been a method in the creator's mind as it is an extremely complex piece of animation for anybody. 
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Heres a quick tutorial I made on the subject.  Short version is too make sure the guityar/bass is attached to the hip bone and adjust as needed to the animation.  Then use a reach target for the fretboard hand to move the hand along the frets as she plays.  Hope it helps.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Edited
4 Years Ago by thebiz.movies
esemgee
esemgee
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
@thebiz. Perfect! After posting my question I had a distinct memory of maybe dummies being used and you have certainly pointed me in the right direction and the problems of hierarchies (I watched Warlord's video after yours) I am baffled why my searches never found either video . Love the anime characters - new to me! Will try tomorrow, but I think you have 100% solved my problem. Many thanks

Reading This Topic