LINKING - ATTACHING

Posted By jef.goris2 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
esemgee
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
@thebiz. Doesn't seem to be working for me! Had problems so started afresh. Everything looking good - hands attached to dummy boxes by using reach target, then boxes to guitar (string) but as soon as I attach guitar to spine, or hip, the character sinks to the floor, which is certainly not the movement I asked for! Tried three times now. I can't work out if this is a hierarchy problem or not - though you attached the guitar before the dummies to guitar, I get the error message about not being able to attach to self. Will try again... damn! You and Warlord make it look so easy!  
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
Just focus on the fretboard hand and see if we can get that one going. 
  1. Add the character. 
  2. Add the guitar accessory. 
  3. Detach the guitar from the character.
  4. Create a reach target from a box.  position the box near the left hand.
  5. Set the left hand to the reach target and turn on the rotation check box.
  6. rotate and adjust the box so that the hand is correctly positioned along the fretboard.
  7. Attach the box to the guitar.
  8. Attach the guitar to the character.  Set the bone to Hip (not bone root).
  9. Add animation 
How did it go?

In the posted video the bass player strum hand doesn't move much as bass players don't strum so much as pluck the strings.  Therefore the reach target on the right hand works pretty well.   The guitar will be different and likely cannot use a reach target for the right hand.  Therefore you will have to resort to using the edit motion tool, setting the hand to the correct position at all the problematic point in the timeline.  A PITA but not insurmountable.  This method will also be needed to adjust the guitar position when the characters legs poke through as the guitar motions tend to have that right leg moving forward through the instrument..

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Edited
Last Year by thebiz.movies
esemgee
esemgee
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)Veteran Member (933 reputation)

@thebiz. Thanks for the help --- but still got a sinking man! Created a totally new project, used Evan from Rockband and a bass guitar - it came as a prop rather than an accessory so did not need to attach. Followed your sequence, with just the one hand and it works, perfectly, but Even's legs buckle and bend and he is sprawling all over the floor! Is it something effecting the weight? New iClone, as usual, not working with old? Anyway, my iClone time for today is finished so will keep trying tomorrow - will use the avatar the bass was intended for, see if that works any better! Thanks so much for your time! 
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.9K reputation)

Crazy leg issues are often caused by terrains with the foot contact turned on for the character.  Is there nothing else in the project but the character and bass?  Check to make sure that no other body part has been set to a reach target (or reach effector).  Maybe post a screenshot or short video if you can.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Edited
Last Year by thebiz.movies
esemgee
esemgee
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

As straight as could be. Foot contact is on - it makes no difference except off he sinks below the floor! Have video but need to put it on vimeo- very busy right now. I think, if you are as baffled as me, I might open this up as a new post!
esemgee
esemgee
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

@thebiz. Here is the very short video. As can be seen, all is OKish until bass is attached. Can't seem to stop Vimeo wanting to add other stuff I've made!!!-  
Edited
Last Year by garry.smout
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Weird one.  I cant reproduce the effect yet.  I sent out the Rampa Signal so lets see what he or others have to say about it.

Rampa
Rampa
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (29.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Try this:

Start a new project.
Add your character.
Add the bass accessory.
Select the character.
Right-click on the character and find the "Perform".
Choose one of the bass playing performs.

When you add an accessory with perform motions, they need to be accessed from the character's perform menu to sync properly with the character animation included in the perform.
thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I was not using the perform menu to add the motions.  When I decided to try to use it this way I got all sorts of wonky results with the bass being wildly offset from the character.  Feels like a weird pivot point issue.

Garry, are you tryuing to use the perform menu or selecting the motions from the animation folders?

esemgee
esemgee
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

@thebiz.movies. Cracked it! It was so simple I could kick myself! I 'locked off' the feet and hip in reach target. I presume they were locked by default, or similar, when you and Warlord did your tutorials as there was no mention of doing such a thing. They don't appear to be covered in an early manual but are mentioned in iClone 7 manual. Tried to work out how to use the reach effector and got totally lost with an orange ball, can see why you gave up! Your method seems to work fine so will stick to that - and will now lock those points to the original - in other words you put the motion in BEFORE reach target. Again thanks so much for your time and help.
Edited
Last Year by garry.smout

Reading This Topic