24fps vs 60fps renders

Posted By sonic7 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I've stayed away from this discussion for good reason -- I've even argued with Spielberg about some issues here -- but I will weigh in for your sound issues.

First of all, sound HAS no "fps".  Sound is what it is -- the length is the length.  When you put it in your editor it will be the time it is recorded at.  For your editor you render out of iClone at whatever fps you'll be using there.  When you say you notice your sound "slipping" you can't judge from iClone because it isn't accurate in that manner.  You can do a rough timing there, but final sync always needs to be in whatever video editor you are using and, yes, you may well need to adjust sync there.  But it doesn't matter what fps you use as long as you use the same fps in your editor (don't render at 30fps from iClone and then use 24fps in your video editor -- that will be Bad).

I use Adobe Premiere so I can't speak for Final Cut but you can't set a project for 30 fps and have it render anything differently -- unless the software is broken (or you are :>Wink.  So perhaps one thing you might do is try and increase your understanding of your video editor.

(Oh and I WANT a "jerky motion", which is why I use 24fps.  The greater the frame rate, in theory, the smoother the animation will be, to the point where it will look EXACTLY like animation and nothing at all like film, which IS by definition "jerky" (those "jerks" are caused by the pulldown in between each frame).  Now, for ideal film emulation we'd also want motion blur, but you can't have everything (or where would you put it?).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Kelly is absolutely right sound has no fps, you do need to tell an audio program the frame rate in order for the program to sync to the proper time code or else sync issues may appear. Also your video editor must be set to the same frame rate of your video or else the video will playback faster or slower.

No need to worry that much about the inner workings and geeky stuff, just follow this simple rules:

If you are doing a video with more than scene (or video file, or image sequence) always use the same frame rate, for iclone 30fps is usually the best frame rate. Dont export scene 1 at 30fps and scene 2 at 24fps. Be consistent with them

When you are editing your video be sure your nle (video editing software) be sure it is set to the correct frame rate (in this case 30 fps.

If you are doing sound work on your video in an audio software be sure your audio project is also set at 30fps.

And that is it, this way you will save you a lot of problems and will save you a lot of time figuring what went wrong

Regarding audio in iclone you should only use it as a mere reference never for final audio work, that is best done in a DAW (audio software) failing that your second best option is to do it inside your video editing software

Hope this helps to make it clearer
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year

@TopOneTone .... " Based on what I read here, I’m assuming that the sound recording is at 24 FPS and I am rendering at either 30 or 60 FPS and this creates the problems with lip sync. Is this correct? Is the only solution to render the animation at 24 fps and will iclone do this accurately? Can The FPS of recorded sound files be changed and if so how do you do it and how would it affect the audio? "

From my understanding, it *shouldn't* matter what fps figure you choose when rendering out your iClone animation because (for example) "60fps" is simply packing in an extra frame (in time) "between" each frame you'd get at 30fps. And the audio is just accompanying any visual "rate" (fps) you choose. But what *does* matter (as has been mentioned), is that whatever you do choose - you match it in your NLE. So if you render 30fps out of iClone, you need to set your editor to 30fps. In Vegas (not sure about other nle's) also set your imported 'clip properties' to 30 as well. Also when *rendering out*, your nle frame rate needs to be configured to 30fps.

Edit: I'm wondering if you need to lock-in (select) your intended render rate *first* before you start animating??? (Rather than animate in a default iClone project, and later altering your render-out fps). Just a thought. Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
5 Years Ago by sonic7
TopOneTone
TopOneTone
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)

Guys thanks for clarifying that. I did understand that you need everything set at the same FPS and my belief was that the higher FPS delivers smoother motion. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here, but it seemed like there was some suggestion that although iclone and the NLE are both set at 30 FPS, iclone is rendering slightly differently and hence why I was grasping at this as a potential cause of my lip sync problem. 
I still don't understand how I am able to use the sound to generate lip sync with what appears reasonable accuracy in iclone, but when it is rendered the lip movement over the duration of the recording moves out of sync. Then if I replace the iclone soundtrack with the original recording (same one used for lip sync) it doesn't fit the rendered animation perfectly, so I end up slicing and moving sections to realign it with the animation. It just seems like there is a timing difference between working in real time with iclone and what it renders. 
The errors I'm observing seem to occur in the rendering stage and I guess the same could be said of the jerky motion that only shows up in the final render. I often go back to the project to make corrections to either lip sync or jerky motion and find the problem is either barely noticeable or not present in the live project playback. Hence why I thought maybe the frame rate was at the root of the problem.
Sorry if this was getting off topic, but it has been bugging me for a long time and I thought it may have been relevant.
Cheers,
Tony  
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Tony, it would be interesting to know *how much* your sound 'drifts' over the course of say 1 minute. (I'm rendering 'vision only', so I haven't experienced audio sync issues). Surely *someone* has experienced your problem ...
You mentioned:
"I do all my editing in Final Cut Pro X and have noticed that even though I bring in an iclone render at 30 FPS and set the FCPX project at 30 FPS the final render may show it as 29.xx. Does this mean that iclone and FCPX are not rendering at precisely the same FPS and therefore the content will not be processed correctly?"

It's strange that your *final* nle output is showing up as 29.xx. So
 yeah - *how much* is the audio out of sync after 60 seconds. And is the sound 'early' or does it 'lag' the picture? These can provide clues as to what's happening. Another thought - if you re-import your nle rendered video - is it the *same length* as the original imported file, ie, can you position it on another video track directly above the first ... Same length?....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Edited
5 Years Ago by sonic7
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
sonic7 (6/13/2019)
Edit: I'm wondering if you need to lock-in (select) your intended render rate *first* before you start animating??? (Rather than animate in a default iClone project, and later altering your render-out fps). Just a thought. Smile

iClone has an "internal rate" of 60fps, and that is hard-coded, so it shouldn't matter what "render settings" you have while editing.  Internally the project is always 60fps.  Then it's just a matter of which frames need to be exported to achieve your desires output fps.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
5 Years Ago by justaviking
sonic7
sonic7
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Ahh - OK - then based on a 60 fps "hard coded" clock, (meaning your 'editing settings' don't impact on your final 'output' settings), then any 'sync loss' *must* be due to your *NLE* settings ...

Edited
5 Years Ago by sonic7
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

How do you embed a video like that in a post?

Good to know about linear transition. I used Linear for everything, and Smooth sometimes.

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

I learn more just eaves dropping on the conversations here than my own video creations.

I didn't know I could export an image sequence instead of a video.

This way if I ever have to do I can do some touch ups on the image before rendering and / or change the render speed.

to the person who recommended the John Hess video, while I am sure he knows more about film making than I ever want to know, he sounds like me and why the 8 track was really all the audio needs we ever needed.

24 FPS may have been great before WW2, but 60 FPS should be the standard by 2019.

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Data Juggler (6/13/2019)
How do you embed a video like that in a post?

Good to know about linear transition. I used Linear for everything, and Smooth sometimes.

Click on the "+ Insert" button, then the "Insert video" icon.
NOTE:  On the pop-up dialogue, there are buttons for YouTube, Vimeo, and Sketchfab URLs.  It defaults to YouTube.  Be sure to specify if you're using one of the others.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0dc7b5e5-9195-4b71-a17d-cc46.jpg

Data Juggler (6/13/2019)
to the person who recommended the John Hess video, while I am sure he knows more about film making than I ever want to know, he sounds like me and why the 8 track was really all the audio needs we ever needed.

24 FPS may have been great before WW2, but 60 FPS should be the standard by 2019.

That was me.
8-track... that's funny.  Smile

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
5 Years Ago by justaviking

Reading This Topic