Filmmaking versus Animation

Posted By Kelleytoons 6 Years Ago
Rated 4 stars based on 4 votes.
Author
4413Media
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Sorry Peter, perils of text there. I misread the comment. The Schenectady shots from others have haunted me. Wink

'But that same scene, with different camera angles, perhaps some closeups of the character's face, some reaction of what was happening, could tell an actual story and be a real SCENE.  That's the difference between animating and filmmaking.'

BINGO! It is the power of visual storytelling and visual literacy. That's the big thing, what shot, what lighting, what blocking, what expression, all these decisions must be carefully made. Smile

Last point…take your favourite film, turn off the sound and really watch it all the way through. No Sound! By the end you’ll know something about film you didn’t know before…

This is honestly the best lesson you can get folks.

iClone Certified Director and makes miserable Westerns.
Edited
6 Years Ago by BenjaminTuttle
Spiny Norman
Spiny Norman
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Ridley Scott is always praised for his beautiful camera work. Guess where he started out? Making T.V. commercials!

iClone 7.93/8.01, 6.0 Pro, 5.5 Pro, 3DXchange Pro, Character Creator 3/4, CrazyTalk Animator 2.5 Pro

Homebuilt computer - Windows10, 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K   3.00 GHz Nvidia RTX 3090 Graphics, 64GB DDR5 RAM,  MS-7306 motherboard, 12 terabytes of disk space, 28” monitor and Optoma UJHD65-LV projector. 
Update

animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
We in the US are mostly exposed to one or two particularly kinds of animation, often with the premise that "animation is for children". This is incorrect. Spiny Norman already mentioned some other possibilities. For those interested I can recommend checking out the animation presented and supported by the National Film Board of Canada: https://www.nfb.ca/channels/Animation/.

In 1977 ( 40 years ago!), I did the film music for a Dutch animation movie that was selected for the animation festival in Annecy, France. The filmmaker and I attended, and I was introduced to an enormous variety in animation; techniques as well as subjects. It was edgy then and more artistic I think than the market place that it is today. Nowadays animation is of course a big commercial success, but I think that has taken out some of the bite. The good news is that if you do your own thing you don't have to answer to mainstream sensitivities, except when you have to make a living of course. I've given up on that long ago...Unsure

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

uncwee
uncwee
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
"3d animated Film".... in CGI:
The idea is to write an awesome story and tell the story using various methods to grab the audience attention.

From this point of view, (Using iClone)
How is (3d Animated Film Creation) discussed as Film Making Vs. Animation?

if you grab the audience attention using the awesome advice given here and apply smooth animation.
It's a win win.
No?

Edited
6 Years Ago by uncwee
RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Damned you all guys!  This thread is so interesting that I almost burned out my pizza while reading it!

..and i did not even "notice that bulldozer getting close to my house because somebody decided that here is going to pass the next interstellar highway" (a FANTASTIC beginning of a story from a famous book) Cool

Thanks you all: so many useful hints, tips links, and information here in this thread.
Nothing to add... I am just a beginner in CGA

Cheers

Roberto

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

uncwee
uncwee
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)Senior Member (340 reputation)

Thanks you all: so many useful hints, tips links, and information here in this thread.

Wow! I echo this thought.
This (detailed info) will take me many moons to fully grasp.

ThanksSmile

uncwee
uncwee
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Wow! I echo this thought.
This (detailed info) will take me many moons to fully grasp.

ThanksSmile

mark
mark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Good stuff....I'm takin' notes for sure! Wink

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

Spiny Norman
Spiny Norman
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Thank you all for being so kind about my post.  Post’…it was practically a novel. I hope it was helpful for those unsure where  to start?  Thanks Benjamin Tuttle for  getting and promoting my last point, and thank you Kelleytoons for starting  this post, it has obviously struck a nerve?

There are no sure things about storytelling; and  despite how people have tried, no formula that lasts for terribly long, because  of its very nature. Duh!  

The ancient Greeks had a system for drama that much of  Western storytelling has followed; number of acts etc, etc. But even in the  ‘Orient’ (and I don’t mean that term pejoratively, but as a means of  differentiating cultural bias,) there are systems and structures that underlie  all successful tales, and yet would leave most Westerners totally confused…

People have been jailed for storytelling, a few even  killed, (and I’m talking pure fiction here?) Yet despite all this, many, many  fine novels and motion pictures simply fail to find an audience. Sometimes it  is because the story is too confronting…too soon…as modern lingo would have it.Sometimes it’s just a lousy story, but mostly it’s just a story ‘badly told’…

We are lucky to live in an era of endless ‘remakes’and ‘re-boots’…watch them all! (I don’t mean enjoy them necessarily, most are  execrable.) I recently watched the two hour re-make of Alfred Hitchcocks  ‘Rebecca’…in my humble opinion one of the great movies of all time…and my soul  nearly departed my body!

Immediately afterwards I watched the original. I saw  where Hitchcock had ‘cut to the chase’, created and deleted dialogue to improve  character and pacing. In short, watching a two hour modern re-make gave me a  chance to get a lesson in film making from Alfred Hitchcock himself, even  though he’s been dead for 38 years?..

It has been said many times, that great writers, are  great readers, and I have always found it so. Great film makers are generally  great cineaste’s. Martin Scorcese, George Lucas, Steven Speilberg and Francis  Ford Coppola all come immediately to mind. Without their efforts all of the  later films of Akira Kurosawa would never have come to pass, and Abel Gance’s 4hour silent film of ‘Napoleon’ would have rotted away beyond saving.

What has this to do with IClone’ I hear you ask?  Everything!..

Since the very first art gallery came into being,(most in the early days owned by only the very rich and powerful,) artists from  all over would go to examine and criticise each others work. There was a  certain amount of ego involved as each artist tried to outdo the other…not  unlike a lot of Hollywood today?

Those artists knew, if they were stuck painting, say‘a full moon’, someone, somewhere would’ve figured out how to pull it off, all  they needed was to see what had been done and figure out a way to do it better.

We ICloner’s are so lucky, Cinema is just over a  hundred years old. There’s a lot of film out there folks! Just in terms of  ‘animation’ we have everything from Disney to Chuck Jones and beyond. (The  Warner cartoons or even ‘Tom and Jerry’ aren’t much longer than most IClone  offerings?) Got an ‘animation’ problem? Someone, somewhere has figured it  out…all you have to do is find it…

So, watch more, animate more…how to have a family and  a real life while doing all this, I’ll leave that to somebody else to explain?..

iClone 7.93/8.01, 6.0 Pro, 5.5 Pro, 3DXchange Pro, Character Creator 3/4, CrazyTalk Animator 2.5 Pro

Homebuilt computer - Windows10, 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K   3.00 GHz Nvidia RTX 3090 Graphics, 64GB DDR5 RAM,  MS-7306 motherboard, 12 terabytes of disk space, 28” monitor and Optoma UJHD65-LV projector. 
Update

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Thanks for you posts fellow Ausie. Similar with every ones tips/comments they are causing me to consider things effectively I think.

There are no sure things about storytelling

I think that is one of the most significant comments made. I don't know how many times I have heard reviews about movies described as rubbish that I and many others loved and thought were great and many others that were described as fantastic that I and many others thought was rubbish. Were any of them really rubbish and really fantastic. Maybe...maybe not.  A lot of what make a movie great is the viewers personal preferences.
I think you are right that we just need to make our video's how we want. Definitely pick up tips and ideas from others but in the end it is really our choice on how we should make what we make

I also think I like your suggestion about watching some of my favourite movies without sound and will be trying it over the weekend. I don't know if it will work for me but I think I might discover some idea's/methods that will help me to use my graphics to enhance/assist the story I am telling. The most obvious point related to this I can think of is using effective horror graphics to make a horror story more horrifying.  Maybe I will discover some other things that doing that will show? If I do I will be posting things I find here and I hope many others do as well. Discovering ideas I haven't thought about should be helpful to some degree.

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
6 Years Ago by Delerna

Reading This Topic