OFFICIAL iClone 7.2 Issues Thread

Posted By Peter (RL) 7 Years Ago
Rated 1 star based on 1 vote.

Author
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
TonyDPrime (2/9/2018)
This is a follow up on my earlier post regarding overlapping textures with opacity masking out.  In this case a Daz Genesis hair brought in through 3DXchange...   
iClone 7 has a hard time showing what is behind one piece of hair shaped by an opacity map when there is another piece of hair shaped by an opacity map behind it. 
It has difficulty reconciling the overlap of 2 or more "alpha/opacity/masked/transparency" textures.

Try minimizing viewport to smallest possible size and render. Is the result the same?

TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
4u2ges (2/9/2018)
TonyDPrime (2/9/2018)
This is a follow up on my earlier post regarding overlapping textures with opacity masking out.  In this case a Daz Genesis hair brought in through 3DXchange...   
iClone 7 has a hard time showing what is behind one piece of hair shaped by an opacity map when there is another piece of hair shaped by an opacity map behind it. 
It has difficulty reconciling the overlap of 2 or more "alpha/opacity/masked/transparency" textures.

Try minimizing viewport to smallest possible size and render. Is the result the same?

HOLY SHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That actually made a difference!
OMG - The ol' resize the screen maneuver strikes again.  
THANK YOU 4U2GES!!!!

It didn't actually eliminate the problem, but it does drastically minimize it.  Some of the hair looks darker and pixelated, but not too noticeable.
Fascinating....almost like, if you can 'hide' the pixelation from the screen, then iClone can't see it and won't render it. 
And you can hide it by making the viewport smaller through pulling the timeline towards the top of the screen.  
So weird, but really amazing that it works this way.  Wondering if this is actually a NVidia driver issue revealed through iClone.

Well, developers can take note of the fact that viewport size adjustment does impact how iClone renders pixelation occurring with overlapping opacity masked textures (ie Daz hair with multiple overlapping textured pieces). 

Really appreciate that help, 4U2ges!  
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I was not really sure if that would work, because you had monstrous artifacts there. But I am glad it almost did. For animation though it would take helluva lot of time to render with viewport size that small regardless of setup.
And the idea actually came from your thread about DOF dependency on the viewport size. I was afraid after fixing it (according to your FT entry), opacity artifacts would not go away anymore by varying viewport size. But apparently a workaround routine is still valid.
See the original thread: https://forum.reallusion.com/339948/Opacity-Artifacts?PageIndex=1

TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Playing around some more with the artifacting hair due to overlapping opacity-masked textures: 
-hair with shine roughness cranked up (to 'black') gives more artifacting than the same hair with roughness lower (to 'white')
-resizing screen will eliminate large artifacting, but will not eliminate small artifacting
-workaround is to lower roughness on artifacting areas/pieces, or pull them out by reducing opacity.  Then resize screen prior to render (resizing results can vary depending on resize and artifacting amount you start with.) 

Some other engines have this problem, including Unity.  I saw in another thread for a different software (Godot) a user is speaking with another user about flickering trees on a mountain top, and the assisting user refers to "back face culling" and "z-depth sorting" as possibly causing the issue.  Assisting user ultimately had no solution for the other user.
Jfrog
Jfrog
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Works for me (just tried a PNG export, which is the only export anyone should be using anyway).

Really strange!  I can confirm that the custom export to 4096x2048 is working fine now.  I tried it several times before posting this...

Thanks Kellytoons. 

Ryzen R9 5950x, RTX 3090, 128Gb Ram ,2 x 2 TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD

Horror Stories in VR
Immersive Sound VR
Immersive Sound VR on Oculus TV

TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

TonyDPrime (2/8/2018)
Never really played with DOF until now, and it seems kind of weak on closeups.   In Daz or Octane, for example, you can bring a significant blur vs sharpness in a very small geographic space via an aperture /F-Stop control. 
But iClone's seems to only gradually spread it out over a larger geographic space.  I find that no matter what camera type, lens size, mm...whatever, and no matter what slider settings for DOF I use, it doesn't matter.
You can only spread a DOF blur so much, and it's not very much at all.  Just a touch of blur difference for smaller spaces. 
Anyone else notice this?  Like the Blur between the colored DOF regions should be able to be greater.  Like a REALLY  heavy focus and then STRONG blur, in a few inches, let's say, if the objects were real world...
I'll just throw it in Feedback Tracker as a request, but just figured I'd see thoughts on this first. 

Well, I have been playing with this DOF stuff in another scene and it all of the sudden I found it was giving me exactly what I wanted.  A very strong Blur to very sharp over a short distance.
I took the settings and moved them to my other scene, and Voila, I had what I wanted.
I just wasn't arranging the sliders properly to get the effect I wanted, but I found it is possible.  It was made a lot easier by using the DOF color-viewer.  That really shows you what you have depth wise.
Such a fantastic tool it is!

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 55 minutes ago
TonyDPrime (2/13/2018)
TonyDPrime (2/8/2018)
Never really played with DOF until now, and it seems kind of weak on closeups.   In Daz or Octane, for example, you can bring a significant blur vs sharpness in a very small geographic space via an aperture /F-Stop control. 
But iClone's seems to only gradually spread it out over a larger geographic space.  I find that no matter what camera type, lens size, mm...whatever, and no matter what slider settings for DOF I use, it doesn't matter.
You can only spread a DOF blur so much, and it's not very much at all.  Just a touch of blur difference for smaller spaces. 
Anyone else notice this?  Like the Blur between the colored DOF regions should be able to be greater.  Like a REALLY  heavy focus and then STRONG blur, in a few inches, let's say, if the objects were real world...
I'll just throw it in Feedback Tracker as a request, but just figured I'd see thoughts on this first. 

Well, I have been playing with this DOF stuff in another scene and it all of the sudden I found it was giving me exactly what I wanted.  A very strong Blur to very sharp over a short distance.
I took the settings and moved them to my other scene, and Voila, I had what I wanted.
I just wasn't arranging the sliders properly to get the effect I wanted, but I found it is possible.  It was made a lot easier by using the DOF color-viewer.  That really shows you what you have depth wise.
Such a fantastic tool it is!

Setting the bokeh to various shapes has a dramatic effect in DOF level as well. The circle bokeh type will really increase the blur amount. That's how I like it! Smile
Edited
6 Years Ago by Rampa
raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
i
justaviking (2/9/2018)
raxel_67 (2/7/2018)
Undo is not working again in 7.2

I noticed that to, but I think it was a corrupted session.  It worked again after restarting iClone.
Are you seeing that, too?  Or is it 100% broken for you?
(Still should be fixed, but might be difficult for them to find the root cause.)

nope, i can create a new scene and have undo but as soon as i save it and open it again it is gone
wires
wires
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
raxel_67 (2/15/2018)

nope, i can create a new scene and have undo but as soon as i save it and open it again it is gone

Undo is only available for the open, active, Project. As soon as you close a Project and reopen it the undo information is gone. This is normal as undo information is not saved with the Project.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
wires (2/15/2018)
raxel_67 (2/15/2018)

Undo is only available for the open, active, Project. As soon as you close a Project and reopen it the undo information is gone. This is normal as undo information is not saved with the Project.

that is not what i meant, what i meant was that once i save a project and open it again will cause undo to stop working, if i make any change to the project i can't undo it, happens everytime

Reading This Topic