Profile Picture

How to attach facial hair to a characters face for realistic movements?

Posted By Snarp Farkle 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

How to attach facial hair to a characters face for realistic...

Author
Idea.png
Snarp Farkle
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
Has anyone had any success attaching facial hair to a characters face and have it move with the character's expressions and/or viseme's?  This has plagued me for years now, I just want a beard to move with the chin or jaw whenever they move, you know like in real life! w00t  The same goes for a mustache, every bone I try attaching them to does not move the mustache or the beard along with the facial movements... this is unacceptable! Crazy

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

mrmdesign
mrmdesign
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I am hoping the next cc update brings us a good solution for this.

----
Designer, Illustrator, Artist, Developer, Modeller - Augmented Reality : Instagram and Facebook Camera Effects
www.realityaugmented.co.uk
Bellatrix
Bellatrix
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Snarp Farkle (5/15/2016)
Has anyone had any success attaching facial hair to a characters face and have it move with the character's expressions and/or viseme's?  This has plagued me for years now, I just want a beard to move with the chin or jaw whenever they move, you know like in real life! w00t  The same goes for a mustache, every bone I try attaching them to does not move the mustache or the beard along with the facial movements... this is unacceptable! Crazy

Lower jaw attachment should work for all jaw-activated talking iavatars I believe.
I've no problem attaching upper lip mustache iprop to imported Genesis3/ Daz skinned head/facial rig.
move nicely with talking non-stiff upper lips...and definitely lower jaw
this should apply for any imported non-standards with properly skinned and 3DXCHANGE-ASSIGNED facial rig

iClone standard characters, a different story
You can onlyh attach lower lip/ beard to IClone standard G5 and CC LOWER JAW
Also this only works for single point attachment (long horse tail like beard)
and not for fuller coverage beard - no glue-on-beard stickiness (because no skinning)

Pointless to attach upper lip/ mustache for iClone standard characters, because
(as far as I've tested)
1. CC upper lip bones is exposed but NOT ACTIVATED in iClone
A few CC upper lip bones are Attach function accessible
but won't animate with upper lip even with position/rotation alignment + all Transform settings ticked (w00t!!!)
2. G5 upper lip bones exist but not exposed in iClone;
said bones (CP08/CP09) exposed in 3DXchange but no attach function over there Rolleyes
This means G5 upper lip facial hair needs to be skinned in Max Maya.

This is yet another shortcoming of iClone native characters 'retentive bones-withholding issues'
Another reason why non-hobbyists should stick with imported characters
and continue to expect refinement of CC FUNCTIONALITY WITHIN ICLONE
and continue to support Feedback Tracker Call for IAVATAR BONES ACTIVATION WITHIN ICLONE

IClone is one unique character animation tool:
in hiding character bones from animators, iClone has no peers! WinkBigGrin
That said
One of my 'Bone Activation' requests has been assigned and considered so there's hope Smile

Methinks CC 1.5 will make possible upper lip/ whole face custom facial hair.
It is just another conforming object after all
But that's not my call Smile

For now
Whether you use iClone standard or imported non-standard
Best solution for 'conforming' full beard is still a conformed/skinned item rigged externally
Or...make do with official marketplace offerings

Cheers

>>> Indie Generalist modeler-rigger-animator <<< Hardware: AlienWare i7-HK 32G GTX1080 2T-SSDs BenqSW320 Wacom-Intuous 3Dconnexion ||| Software: IC6 Pipeline - CTA3 Pipeline - ATK2 - Indigo ||| Zbrush4R8. Blender 2.79. DazStudio 4.9. Carrara. Poser. Octane.

Edited
8 Years Ago by Bellatrix
Snarp Farkle
Snarp Farkle
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
The only other idea I could think of, but haven't tried yet, is to somehow use a displacement map mustache, I don't know if it can be done without distorting the face though.

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Snarp Farkle (6/1/2016)
The only other idea I could think of, but haven't tried yet, is to somehow use a displacement map mustache, I don't know if it can be done without distorting the face though.

ya,  easy to do actually ,   just do it gray scale and edit it in your photo editing software

I did this character that way -  made everything but the beard black in the displacement map. - if you want a fu-manchu type mustache then you'll need to model that to utilize the soft cloth physics,  which in that case you can probably do a combination of displacement and model. - another approach is modding the character for bulk on the mustache area and using your normal / displacement to give it the strand detail. - it also depends on the kind of hair,  for example,  the grateful dead beards don't move

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/dcaff438-2269-4db8-b343-7332.png

and if you want a beard like this,  you'd definitely have to mod the face in a software like sculptris to include the beard shape,  and again,  do the hair detail with the displacement map

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/073339ed-93f1-45d6-9fae-d5b9.jpg

and a beard like this would require a model accesory for the soft cloth physics -

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5382b3dc-a64b-401f-ab38-818f.jpg

Edited
8 Years Ago by planetstardragon
R Ham
R Ham
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 minutes ago
Bellatrix (5/17/2016)

For now
Whether you use iClone standard or imported non-standard
Best solution for 'conforming' full beard is still a conformed/skinned item rigged externally
Or...make do with official marketplace offerings

Cheers

Here here!  I'm going back and forth between these two solutions now.  Neither are satisfactory.  Today I'm leaning toward "make do." 
I've not seen any hint of improvement planned for IC7 either.
Still, RL Marketing continues to dance around the campfire as if they had a fully functional product.
Unfortunate.
REF: Issue 297

"Less clicks good, more clicks bad."
eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
We need a new way to do hair in iClone. I vote for this:

https://developer.nvidia.com/hairworks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
The best way to do facial hair is to create it like clothing. You import it through Character Creator clothing import.

Dilerna made a whole bunch of beards that he has in the Marketplace. If you've had a go at making CC clothing, it is the same process.

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
The only real issue with that is the moustache and soul patch areas, it doesn't conform when weight mapping for CC. I have a few of Delerna's stuff and they are good, just they have the same issue, the ones that cover part of the face have issues during lipsync. I run into issues at the brow line as well with conforming hair, I wish the whole face could apply weight info.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Here here, getting the beard to follow the chin is pretty good. Getting the moustach to follow lip syncing is near impossible. Increasing the depth of the mo so the lips dont penetrate it too much is the best i have been able to do. As to conforming to different characters. i tested that and it worked ok for what i did but i think im going to chek that out a bit more now. Thanks for that hint of an issue.

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Reading This Topic