Profile Picture

How to attach facial hair to a characters face for realistic movements?

Posted By Snarp Farkle 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

How to attach facial hair to a characters face for realistic...

Author
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I have also tried making bushy eybrows but they dont follow the forehead animation at all. Looks really weird so gave up on that one.

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 13 minutes ago
I was pretty thrilled when I discovered how to do it, but a little bummed it does not follow the viseme morphs. Sad That's the down side. You need to not get to close to the mouth. To have it move with the visemes, you would need to use displacement and texture for your beard instead.

For fine placement issues and minor poke-throughs, use the mesh tool in CC to adjust. Use the soft selection and select one poly.
eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
You can see how a moving beard without the visimes throws the whole thing off. Beard itself looks like crap, but that's another matter Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My system: i7 3770 Gtx1060 6GB

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

So how about something like this?
It will be in my store soon, just working on improving the textures

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.9K reputation)

Delerna (12/14/2016)
So how about something like this?
It will be in my store soon, just working on improving the textures

That looks great! I'm guessing a touch of displacement on top of it when you get the textures sorted will make it look really good. Can you share how you achieved it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Sure. customised morph sliders

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 13 minutes ago
You can also do it with displacement. Make your texture map black except where you want it bulging out. If you use displacement, you can benefit from a 10 times higher resolution to work with.
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Rampa.
Please don't take anything I say here the wrong way. I just thought I would add a few of my humble opinions (not aimed at anyone) about what I have discovered and my observations on the subjects here.
I do reasonably with what I do but I am a learner and not a super professional, so these are only my opinions that are based on how I work (which is all ways my own way and not necessarily the "Professional Way" LOL)
I do listen and learn from others but then I merge the bits that I think are good ideas into my own ideas and my own ways. 
Some might not agree with how I work but  I believe everyone should do things in whatever way it makes most sense to them and not necessarily the "Professional Way"

Anyway, back to why I'm posting this
I agree, displacement is indeed a fantastic feature in iClone but like everything there is always both good and bad.
I actually tried displacement mapping for this first off and the first image below shows part of the reason why I ended up choosing to go with morph sliders instead.
I realise I could have corrected a lot of that by using gradients on the edges but, for me, texturing is the most tedious thing about modelling, the weird thing about that is that texturing is the most important part of modelling. Also I love drawing with pencil and paper but on a computer, I find it tedious.
On top of that, the second image is a completely naked Gwynn with nothing but displacement mapping and texturing to turn her into Wonder Gwynn.
Displacement mapping is pretty impressive but if you look closely at the edges, particularly the red square on the arm. I find that unless there is a mesh edge that completely follows where you need a displacement edge it is extremely difficult to get that edge to go straight and smooth.

So in summary, displacement mapping is indeed a valid option but for me it would take too much effort with the texturing and I much prefer modifying the mesh instead. Also the morph sliders makes it easy to control the size of the moustache and the beard. And finally, the most of the morph sliders effects could also be done with displacement but we wouldn't get the easy control like we do with the morphs. So that's why "I" chose morph sliders

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/418b6ff2-ef9f-49a5-8bda-2335.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2d937674-9b67-46b2-92f9-270a.png

GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I am wondering what you mean by using morph sliders for this, I'm confused. Anyhow, I think a mixture of displacement to give texture and mesh to give shape is the best option for us at the moment. The main thing is semi-realistic movement with the mouth. Beards are so expressive so it really sucks that it is so hard to pull off. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

eternityblue
eternityblue
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Oh wait, you are building the moustaches into the body morph! That's smart, I didn't consider doing that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reading This Topic