Making Faces

Posted By JasonWynngard 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
JasonWynngard
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 days ago
Looking into the Photoshop plug-in today. Thanks for all the tips.

Omen HP17t ck00 -- Windows 11 -- 32GB RAM -- Two 1TB Crucial M.2 NVME Drives -- nVidia Geoforce RTX 3070 -- 11th Generation i9 -- LG 32" QUHD Monitor

animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
JasonWynngard (4/16/2011)
Question: Does anyone have experience with Faceshop Pro v.6 used in collaboration with iClone and can advise me?

This is how I have used FaceShop in conjunction with iClone (and 3DXchange). I make use of the fact that you can import an obj file of a head in FaceShop.

I start out with an iClone character to which I want to apply a face created using FaceShop.

1. Load the character into 3DXchange.
  2. In the tree on the left, select Face.
  3. Click Export Mesh, which will save the head as an .obj file.
  4. In FaceShop, load this .obj file as a custom mesh.
  5. Apply a photo in FaceShop as usual. I found this to be tricky, especially the lining up.
  6. Save the modelled head as an .obj file.  This obj file has the same vertex count as the original; FaceShop only changes the shape. Also, the all-important neck area isn't touched, so the revised head will fit the body.
  7. In 3DXchange, click Replace Mesh, and load the modelled head.
  8. The head texture map will not change automatically, so double-click the Diffuse icon and load the texture that FaceShop has created.
  9. Reimport the character with the new head in iClone.

There are a couple of things that didn't work for me. One was creating a texture map larger that 1024x1024, even if I selected 2048x2048 or 4096x4096. I have an earlier version of FaceShop that does create a larger texture.

The other problem I had was lining up the imported head. FaceShop always insists on tilting and turning it, which results in a deformed mesh. I had to use Agile to fix that.

Although this pipeline is possible, the question is of course if it is worth the trouble. Hopefully iClone 5 will have improved face-mapping capabilities.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

col757
col757
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (495 reputation)Senior Member (495 reputation)Senior Member (495 reputation)Senior Member (495 reputation)Senior Member (495 reputation)Senior Member (495 reputation)Senior Member (495 reputation)Senior Member (495 reputation)Senior Member (495 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
animagic (4/17/2011)
JasonWynngard (4/16/2011)
Question: Does anyone have experience with Faceshop Pro v.6 used in collaboration with iClone and can advise me?

This is how I have used FaceShop in conjunction with iClone (and 3DXchange). I make use of the fact that you can import an obj file of a head in FaceShop.

I start out with an iClone character to which I want to apply a face created using FaceShop.
  1. Loadthe character into 3DXchange.
  2. In the tree on the left, select Face.
  3. Click Export Mesh, which will save the head as an .obj file.
  4. In FaceShop, load this .obj file as a custom mesh.
  5. Apply a photo in FaceShop as usual. I found this to be tricky, especially the lining up.
  6. Save the modelled head as an .obj file. This obj file has the same vertex count as the original; FaceShop only changes the shape. Also, the all-important neck area isn't touched, so the revised head will fit the body.
  7. In 3DXchange, click Replace Mesh, and load the modelled head.
  8. The head texture map will not change automatically, so double-click the Diffuse icon and load the texture that FaceShop has created.
  9. Reimport the character with the new head in iClone.

Thereare a couple of things thatdidn't work for me. One was creating a texture map larger that 1024x1024, even if I selected 2048x2048 or 4096x4096. I have an earlier version of FaceShop that does create a larger texture.

The other problem I had was lining up the imported head. FaceShop always insists on tilting and turning it, which results in a deformed mesh. I had to use Agile to fix that.

Although this pipeline is possible, the question is of course if it is worth the trouble. Hopefully iClone 5 will have improved face-mapping capabilities.

Click Export Mesh, which will save the head as an .obj file.Ermm

thats about as far as i got, there was no such option
animagic
animagic
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

In the scene tree on the left, do you see an element called Face or RL_Face? And what is the color of the scene tree?

Actually, when I wrote the instructions they were for iClone and 3DXchange 4 and FaceShop 6. It doesn't seem to work anymore for the current release of iClone and/or FaceShop. The head is created, but ends up at the wrong position.

EDIT: It works with  FaceShop 6 and iClone/3DXchange 5.

Edited
11 Years Ago by animagic
colour
colour
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
(_!_)ing-in Wink

"Making Faces" ?

Sorry - I couldn't resist BigGrin

(_!_)ing-out Wink

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

animagic
animagic
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It positively shows that an avatar's mouth does open...BigGrin

colour
colour
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
"animagic (12/27/2013)
It positively shows that an avatar's mouth does open...BigGrin"

The Animation was quite funny, Job & done very quickly, by "Layering " several Puppet Recordings (Eyes, Mouth & Jaw), Keyframing Tongue Move-out & Edit Motion Layer of Arms, Hands & fingers, jnto one Animation Clip.

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

Edited
11 Years Ago by colour

Reading This Topic