Any path from obj to iFace?

Posted By wjs_pdi 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
wjs_pdi
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
I'm using a face/head generator called FaceShop 6 which outputs an .obj file. Is there any pathway or work flow which allows 3DXchange 4 to take in an .obj file and output an iFace file usable in iClone 4 ?
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
yeah , but i think the procedure requires some radioactive materials, asbestos, and 3DS Max along with the iclone plug in for 3DS Max...you wont be able to do it through 3DX 4 - at least not that i know of, especially because of 3DX4's strict importing scheme.

check out the developer section of the site, and look for how head morphs were created pre 3DX 4 with 3DS Max.

and maybe someone else with more knowledge on it can chime in. - Good Luck Smile

animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Actually, this you can do without 3DS Max.
  1. Load your character into 3DXchange.
  2. In the tree on the left, select Face.
  3. Click Export Mesh, which will save your head as an .obj file.
  4. In FaceShop, you can load this .obj file as a custom mesh.
  5. Do your FaceShop thing as usual. I found this to be tricky, especially the lining up.
  6. Save the modelled head as an .obj file. 
  7. In 3DXchange, click Replace Mesh, and load the modelled head.
  8. The head texture map will not change automatically, so double-click the Diffuse icon and load the texture that FaceShop has created.
  9. You can now reimport the character with the new head in iClone.

There were a couple of things that didn't work for me. One was creating a texture map larger that 1024x1024, even if I selected 2048x2048 or 4096x4096. I have an earlier version of FaceShop that does create a larger texture.

The other problem I had was lining up the imported head. FaceShop always insists on tilting and turning it, which results in a deformed mesh. I had to use Agile to fix that.

It's a pity really, because it would be a nice way to create larger resolution face maps.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

AM's way can be done if you start by using the 3DX4 exported mesh, but if you have another mesh from other software, you need the radioactive materials and 3DS Max. Part of the problem is that 3DX is quite strict about what it imports , and the easiest way to avoid the extra work is to use whatever mesh 3DX / Iclone gives you and model those without increasing the vertex count.

Edited
13 Years Ago by planetstardragon
wjs_pdi
wjs_pdi
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Thanks to you both. I'm off to experiment.
animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

The procedure I outlined using FaceShop keeps the neck untouched, so no worries there. Of course, sw00000p's approach is far more dramatic... w00t

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Ya, sw00000p is the 3D hazardous materials Expert, he got skillz!! BigGrin

animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (3/16/2011)[hr

Another Noobie lead astray from imcomplete advice!

sw00000p

This was the question:

I'm using a face/head generator called FaceShop 6 which outputs an .obj file. Is there any pathway or work flow which allows 3DXchange 4 to take in an .obj file and output an iFace file usable in iClone 4 ?

The workflow I propose allows changing the iClone mesh and create a head using FaceShop, which it saves out as an .obj file. FaceShop always starts out with an existing mesh, either a built-in or an imported one. As far as I can tell that was what the OP asked for.

FaceShop shapes the mesh, based on a photo, it does not change the vertex count. I know what I'm talking about because I have actually used the procedure I outlined myself. I always give advice I try out myself and not without thought, so I find your comment unwarranted. You may not like my approach, but it works and would work for anyone who cares to follow my instructions.  

Edited
13 Years Ago by animagic
rayj00
rayj00
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
After creating a face in Faceshop, when I import to 3DX or Meshlab, there is no face mapping?
Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
rayj00 (6/18/2011)
After creating a face in Faceshop, when I import to 3DX or Meshlab, there is no face mapping?

Your face is extremely dead: it has no bones to animate with.

General Picture - animating now to life itself(tm)
Member of Content Wizards

Reading This Topic