Profile Picture

Rendering is extremely slow in iClone 8 and very fast in Vegas 20. How is that possible?

Posted By leeahmendes Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!

Rendering is extremely slow in iClone 8 and very fast in Vegas 20. How...

Author
leeahmendes
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hi, folks! I know rendering takes time, but in my case, I believe something must be wrong. My characters are only 2, and they sit all the time talking; there's no physical action. The camera switches from one character's face to the other, and I've deleted all the items in the scene that don't appear in the shot, leaving only the speaking character's face and 2 trees behind him. That´s it. Moreover, my laptop is new and really good: it has an Intel Core i9 processor and 16GB of RAM. To render a 15-second dialogue in MP4, iClone 8 takes 50 minutes! I'm frustrated because Vegas 20, which I have for editing, takes only 4 minutes to render all the scenes I'm creating. How is that possible? Am I doing something wrong? Thank you

ChatGP
animagic
This post has been flagged as an answer
animagic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 32 minutes ago
What is your graphics card? That is an important factor in rendering performance.

You can not really compare rendering times between a 3D program and a video editor. A 3D program needs to create the image and then render it out frame by frame. In a video editor the video is already there so less processing is needed.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

leeahmendes
leeahmendes
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)Junior Member (191 reputation)

Hi!
The graphics card is NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 3050. What is the best one for a faster 3D rendering? Thank you!
animagic
This post has been flagged as an answer
animagic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 32 minutes ago
The desktop version of the RTX 3050 is not a bad card, but, unfortunately, because of power considerations, laptop versions of the same card are often far less powerful. Another important factor is the amount of VRAM on the GPU. The desktop 3050 comes with 8GB or even 16 GB, where as the laptop version seems to have 4 GB or 6 GB.

Here is a page that compares the specifications of the RTX  3050 laptop version with other GPUs in 3000 family: https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3050-Laptop-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.513790.0.html.

I don't know if you could replace the card in your laptop, but a 3060 or 3070 with at least 8 GB of VRAM would already improve performance.

To get a better idea of the current setup's performance I would suggest using a tool called GPU-Z. It would show how much VRAM is used for the scene and if it is perhaps maxed out, which could explain the slow performance. The better quality of assets in iClone comes at the price of higher resolution textures which of course eat memory. 

I mainly work on desktops because for the same money you get better performance and it is easier to update components. I do have one laptop, which is an Alienware. High-end gaming laptops tend to work best, but they are pricy and heavy.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

leeahmendes
leeahmendes
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Thank you!!!
Sophus
Sophus
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
If your laptop has a thunderbolt port (at least version 3), you can also connect an external GPU case, for example a Razer Core, to it and put a desktop graphics card inside it. This might be a cheaper option than getting a new high end gaming laptop. 

Reading This Topic