Profile Picture

Jacket Metalic texture not updating after deleting the character and re-importing

Posted By jeff.davies Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!

Jacket Metalic texture not updating after deleting the character and...

Author
jeff.davies
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi  Victor,
   This is kind of a wierd one and I'm not sure how to reproduce it. Let me go through the steps I took to see this in one of my files.
  1. I have a character in CC4
  2. I import that charaacter into CC 8 (latest versions as of today), animate  it and export it to FBX.
  3. In Blender I use the CC Pipeline to import that character. So far, so good.
  4. I want to make a change in the diffuse and metalic channels of my character's jacket. So...
  5. I go back to CC4 and update the PBR textures Diffuse and  Metallic textures.
  6. I re-export as an iAvatar file.
  7. In iClone, with the original character selected in my animation, I import the new version to overwrite it and keep the animations. I check the textures for the jacket and they look good (ie updated)
  8. I re-export the charaacter as FBX
  9. In Blender, I remove the original character, purge orphan data, close blender comnpletely and reopen it.
  10. Using CC Pipeline, I import the new charaacter again.
  11. In the shader editor for  the jacket I can see that the diffuse text was updated peoperly
  12. However, the Metallic shader still has the old texture file.
So far I've only had this in the first file where i needed to update a character's textures. I'll find out if this happens in other files later today. One thing of nbot, I do have Automaticall Pack External FIles checked for these models in Blender. Not sure if that bit of info helps or not.
Thanks in advance for your help with this!

- Jeff
The Adventures of Capt Sanchez
Cybernautic Studios
jeff.davies
jeff.davies
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Also, to get around this, I simply opened the Shader Editor in Blender and loaded the correct metallic texture into the existing image node in the overall PBR shader.

- Jeff
Cybernautic Studios
Victor.Soupday
This post has been flagged as an answer
Victor.Soupday
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
Automatically pack external files tells Blender to keep a copy of all the textures in the Blend file and it won't update these until explicitly told to do so by invoking the Reload function from the texture editor.

The diffuse texture gets changed because the Fbx importer always brings in a new diffuse texture (no matter how many versions of this texture might already exist in memory), but for all the other textures the add-on checks to see if it already exists in the Blend file and re-uses it, otherwise Blender can quickly fill up with duplicate textures.

Add to this that Blender is notoriously fickle about what it purges when no longer in use. It can sometimes take a few cycles of save and reload of the blend files to completely purge the unused data.

If you know a texture needs updating you can force a reload by finding it in the image editor and reloading it from the menu.
jeff.davies
jeff.davies
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank you VIctor!  I'll do that in my subsequent files! Smile

- Jeff
Cybernautic Studios

Reading This Topic