Ver 2.0 Affinity Apps no longer work on Windows

Posted By AverageJoe 2 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
AverageJoe
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Has anyone from Reallusion looked into this further?
wires
wires
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
AverageJoe (11/12/2022)
Has anyone from Reallusion looked into this further?

Why should they? Reading your posts the issue lies with Affinity and not Reallusion so you should direct your questions there as RL, or even Microsoft, have nothing to do with the software not working as published.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

AverageJoe
AverageJoe
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.7K reputation)

Because it's entirely possible that Reallusion could discover a solution.  Why should I not seek answers from all possible sources and solutions?  Reallusion has worked with Affinity products for quite some time, and may be interested in seeking such a solution. It can only benefit them since many people use Affinity products in conjunction with CTA.  Sorry my question offends you so...
Edited
2 Years Ago by AverageJoe
grinnbear
grinnbear
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.2K reputation)

I am hoping that Affinity fixes this, but to avoid wasting money and my sanity I have asked for a refund.
Here is the email for that.
affinityreturns@serif.com

I'm guessing they are going to have a LOT of refund requests as the forum there is lit UP with angry people and confusing work arounds that don't seem to work. 
Since I am not a software developer, I will just get a refund, install V1 and wait to see what they do.

My PC
====
CPU: 4.00 gigahertz Intel Core i7-6700K
MB: Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2133
HD: 2-2TB Western DigitalCaviar Black
VB: EVGA GTX 980
DirectX: 12

"Sure you can trust the government, ask any Indian."
rosuckmedia
rosuckmedia
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
@AverageJoe
Hello,
I have downloaded a trial version of Affinity Designer 2.0 Downloaded and installed. 
The integration in CTA 5 did not work.
Afterwards I have uninstalled the trial version again.
You can unzip the MSIX with 7 Zip, so you can get to the exe.(under Apps.)
Then I took the exe to install.
Test version installed again.
The not hidden Exe I have integrated into the CTA5.
see photos.
I hope this is legal
It's only the test version.
I also hope that Affinity will solve the problem.
Greetings Robert
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6a15f795-3894-4ec8-a880-5d07.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fced4e57-c345-44e4-a573-395a.png
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f8750926-6589-41c2-ab23-90a8.png
Edited
2 Years Ago by rosuckmedia
AverageJoe
AverageJoe
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Robert, I did as you suggested.  And it works... sorta...
When I click the SVG button while on a blank scene, I am prompted to choose to create a new file open a file. (I chose new object) Affinity Designer opens up and a Default.svg file is open.  I add some vector elements, and now want to get it to CTA5.  However, when I go to Save, I can only save it to an .afdesign file, not a SVG.  To save to SVG, I have to export it but then it's not available in CTA5.  Unless I of course navigate to where I exported it and manually load it into CTA5.  So the link between them probably isn't ever going to work since clicking Save in Affinity Designer will not allow to just save the current SVG, you have to export it.
rogdodge
rogdodge
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)Veteran Member (749 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
@rosuckmedia

Thank you for the information. I did wonder why I could not find the software and a Link to it. I do not often use Affinity, but I have it for whenever I decide to jump in the deep end. Smile  I felt a bit miffed when I could not link it to CA. Problem appears to be resolved.

Rog
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.9K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
AverageJoe (11/12/2022)
Because it's entirely possible that Reallusion could discover a solution.  Why should I not seek answers from all possible sources and solutions?  Reallusion has worked with Affinity products for quite some time, and may be interested in seeking such a solution. It can only benefit them since many people use Affinity products in conjunction with CTA.  Sorry my question offends you so...

The solution I provided previously does work. I have used it and was able to get the Microsoft Store versions of Affinity products to launch from Cartoon Animator.

However, the problem is that a lot depends on the Administrator and user account setup of your computer. You must make sure you are giving the right account the necessary permissions.

One other thing that is easy to overlook, and not mentioned in the step-by-step guide, is to make sure you check the option to "Replace owner on sub containers and objects".

Thank you also to rosuckmedia who has provided another workaround that seems to work (and is probably easier). However, hopefully Affinity will provide a different install option as they did with their previous versions which would make life easier for everyone.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Edited
2 Years Ago by Peter (RL)
AverageJoe
AverageJoe
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks Peter.  rosuckmedia's solution did the trick, and was a lot easier and perhaps safer.
I'm curious though, about using SVGs with Affinity Designer, since it cannot save the currently open file in anything other than an Affinity Designer file (.afdesign).  Would the workflow, in that case, not provide a two way trip, but instead will require one to actually export the current file as an SVG, and then drag that into CTA5?
danielpojda
danielpojda
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)

You can achieve this by replacing default.svg in the source location.
0. Click on affiinity icon (launch to affinity designer)
1. Click new object
2. In affinity draw your object
3. ctrl+s or save file -> copy destination to default.svg file
4. ctrl+shift+alt+s or export 0> chose svg and click Export
5. paste destination and click save
6. confirm replace 
7. Click prop
8.  Smile
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0251bb51-351b-46b4-bc3b-3b0e.jpg

Reading This Topic