Posted By Peter (RL) 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

New Content Licenses Explained - Standard, Extended, Enterprise

Author
Peter (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Dear Customers

We understand the recent changes to our Content Licensing have been confusing and left customers with many questions.

To help answer those questions, and to make everything clearer, we now have a dedicated page and table which shows exactly what is permitted under each license.

Please take a look by clicking the link below, and if you still have questions, please feel free to post your questions below.

https://www.reallusion.com/license/content.html

Thank you.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Edited
2 Years Ago by Peter (RL)
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Thanks for the detailed information Peter.
I re-read the entire license and it's all clear.
There is only one item that I don't understand.

According to extended license rights; We can apply unlimited components to the characters we create and use them in unlimited projects.

However, there is something strange in the following statement.

"Unlimited Characters: For example, a uniform component can be applied to many characters. With the Extended License, you can mix and match various CC components and create unlimited number of different characters, across multiple projects. These characters can be used in various projects, games, XR, and interactive services as well, as long as they share the same CC components. "

Accordingly, if we dress a character in a soldier outfit, we cannot use the same character with a police outfit.

"as long as they share the same CC components", you say. What if it doesn't share the same CC components?

Or is there a restriction for the extended license that I don't understand?
If there is no such thing, I am trying to understand why this sentence was written.

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/yepkoo
https://dev.epicgames.com/community/profile/bxvo/Yepkoo#learning

Edited
2 Years Ago by yepkoo
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

yepkoo (10/24/2022)

Accordingly, if we dress a character in a soldier outfit, we cannot use the same character with a police outfit.

Hi Yepkoo

With an Extended License you can certainly use the same character in a soldier outfit or a police outfit providing the change is not done in-game. If the clothing switch was done in the game itself, then this would be classified as an in-game character creator and would require an Enterprise license.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Hi Peter,

I'm thinking of making an adventure game and when the character moves from a hot climate to a cold climate, of course I will have to change his clothes or the game will be weird.
Also, when my character goes into space, he needs to be in a space suit.

So let me ask this way.
If I import the same character with different outfits I think it doesn't go into this character customization, is that correct?
The character with the appropriate outfit according to the environment will be activated automatically.

I think what you are talking about has something to do with the fact that changing clothes in the game is optional.
I absolutely do not need such a thing.
The only thing I need is for the characters whose clothes are prepared according to the environment to be activated automatically.

When my projects are successful, I will already apply for enterprise licenses.
While I don't need character customization, I will need to take ownership of the main characters of my successful projects.

Edited
2 Years Ago by yepkoo
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Peter, can you confirm that I wrote about it?

Because if I cannot replace my characters in the game with characters with different clothes, it will be impossible for me to use RL contents in game development.
Even this way it will already break enough of the game optimization.

There won't be much difference between having to keep my character in the same disguise throughout the game or using a mixamo character.

From now on, I will avoid purchasing content as much as I can so that my game optimization is not impaired. But I don't want the content I've purchased so far to go to waste.

For example, if at the beginning of the game the character's outfit is suitable for the summer season (t-shirt and shorts) and this character goes to space, it will look pretty bad for the character to explore in space in summer clothes.

Edited
2 Years Ago by yepkoo
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I also request that the explanation you add as a footnote to this part of the license be reconsidered.

Unless there is a user choice, we should be able to change the character's clothes according to the environment or story flow.

For example, the character cannot even wear a hat if it rains while walking.
Instead, a character with a hat needs to be imported separately for the optimization of the game to break down.

I want to add one more question.
What is meant by learning AI?
For example, can't I add enemy soldiers acting with AI behavior to the game?

Edited
2 Years Ago by yepkoo
Wilby
Wilby
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Peter (RL) (10/25/2022)Hi Yepkoo, With an Extended License you can certainly use the same character in a soldier outfit or a police outfit providing the change is not done in-game. If the clothing switch was done in the game itself, then this would be classified as an in-game character creator and would require an Enterprise license.

Hi! I have a question about what "clothing switch was done in the game" and "change is not done in-game" means as there can be different methods to do this and its relation to the paragaph in the Content Policy that I think this pertains to, which is:

----
"Unlimited Characters: For example, a uniform component can be applied to many characters. With the Extended License, you can mix and match various CC components and create unlimited number of different characters, across multiple projects. These characters can be used in various projects, games, XR, and interactive services as well, as long as they share the same CC components."
----

In my understanding, the underlined words "share the same CC components" is quite vague and too strict if taken at default. But if I will consider your statement above, it looks like restriction will only trigger if:
  • There is a code in the game that targets the change of the specific ccCloth (and other ccComponents) into a different ccCloth (and other ccComponents) worn or placed into a Character Creator model. 
But if the FULL Character Creator model wearing that ccCloth (and other ccComponents) was switched / changed inside the game, it is allowed regardless if the identity of the model is the same? That means the code in the game did not modify the Character Creator model itself within the game but it only REPLACED it with another full model. This direct modification of the model still happened using Character Creator software and not inside the game's code.

If that is the case, the game using the Character Creator models might have to be programmed inefficiently because it cannot optimize the use of its resource assets like sharing the core humanoid model (w/o clothes) and only changing certain aspect/parts of it. But of course, the overall impact to the game itself would depend on how many times this "switching" function is being used. If the character has 100 clothes like in selected RPGs, then all I can say is "yikes"! Laugh

A workaround might be to use Clothes that were bought from a third-party and not from Reallusion. But I'm still unsure how that can be adapted to fit a Character Creator model without it being converted to a ccCloth upon export? Does exporting a Character  model wearing custom clothes automatically convert that clothes object to ccCloth component or not? Sorry, but my knowledge of the "inner" workings of exporting Character Creator model is not enough yet so I can only speculate on this. Whistling

Anyhow, maybe doing the fitting of the custom clothes to the Character Creator model in an external program like Blender and exporting from there directly to a game engine might be the solution. Inside the game, the code will just switch the custom clothes  (which is not a ccCloth component) worn by the Character Creator model. That might work but kinda cancels out the purpose of using Reallusion software as I think its strength is streamlining the workflow. Also, the restriction might just hurt the Content Store and reduce the usefulness of Character CreatorSad  Here's what I mean...

Another way is to just stick to using one pair of clothes, accessories, & look/design for a particular Character forever. But that is impossible if you plan to develop your game further in the long run and have sequels. Tongue
Edited
2 Years Ago by Wilby
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

yepkoo (10/25/2022)
Hi Peter,

I'm thinking of making an adventure game and when the character moves from a hot climate to a cold climate, of course I will have to change his clothes or the game will be weird.
Also, when my character goes into space, he needs to be in a space suit.

So let me ask this way.
If I import the same character with different outfits I think it doesn't go into this character customization, is that correct?
The character with the appropriate outfit according to the environment will be activated automatically.

I think what you are talking about has something to do with the fact that changing clothes in the game is optional.
I absolutely do not need such a thing.
The only thing I need is for the characters whose clothes are prepared according to the environment to be activated automatically.

When my projects are successful, I will already apply for enterprise licenses.
While I don't need character customization, I will need to take ownership of the main characters of my successful projects.

If you have an Extended License for the relevant content, then there is no problem switching clothing on characters at different parts of the game. For example, a game like Tomb Raider would often see clothing changes for different locations (Mountains, Jungle etc.). This isn't classed as a character creation system so there will no problem.

Traditionally in-game character creation takes place at the beginning of a game where you would choose from different faces, body sizes, skin color, hairstyles and hair color, clothing etc. This is what is not permitted with an Extended License and would require an Enterprise License to embed the Reallusion content into the game.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Peter, that was the information I needed, thank you.
Because the theme of my game takes place in different climates and regions, and I have been preparing the infrastructure for this for a very long time.
The only thing I need in my project is for the character to look appropriate for the environmental conditions.
Now I am relieved.

Edited
2 Years Ago by yepkoo
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Wilby (10/26/2022)

In my understanding, the underlined words "share the same CC components" is quite vague and too strict if taken at default.

Hopefully I have clarified this in my answer to Yepkoo, but to reiterate, as long as you have an Extended License for the content used, it can be used on as many characters as you like, and in as many games or projects as you like. The only restriction is that the content can't be used/embedded in any form of character creation system, such as those used in a game like The Sims 4, or used for in-game purchase such as allowing the player to purchase extra content that was sourced from the Reallusion Stores. Both these options would require a negotiated Enterprise License.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic