Content License Policy

Posted By lvanvalk 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
lvanvalk
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I just read the new Reallusion Content License Policy and am very confused. Does Reallusion now own all of our custom characters? I no longer use or buy ActorCore characters because of their usage license, now if I am understanding correctly, Reallusion owns all of my custom characters created with HeadShot morphed characters and any other customized character? I don't want to have to track my views for my little created animations or have to get "special  permission" for creating ads, brochures, business cards, etc. Every time I customize a character to be unique for someone else's animation, Reallusion owns that character and that animation? Also, am I only allowed to use purchased products such as hair, clothes, scenes, once? I have to re-purchase that product wig, clothes, scene, every time I want to use it in another character or project?

Your new license policy may be the end of my animating with Reallusion. I want to purchase once, then edit as needed and use in as many projects and characters as possible. I also don't want to be doing all of this work and have it belong to someone else.

Please clarify.
3dSphinx
3dSphinx
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Yea. I think my resolve is to no longer buy content in the store. I don't like the license flip flop. People who paid more for export license get the same license as a person that paid less for icontent license. When it was stated any export licenses purchased before July 27th would be moved to extended. Now it saying both icontent and export licenses that was purchased fall under standard. They change our license but I doubt they will be giving export license people credit for their purchase difference between export and icontent.
Edited
2 Years Ago by SugarMoxie
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
I think you may have misunderstood the new license.

You can create unlimited commercial videos, images or other media using the characters and scenes you create without any restrictions and without further remuneration. The videos or images you create are yours.

You can also use the characters you create in games, applications, VR and so on. The only restriction here is that for commercial games or applications you will need to purchase the Extended License version for any purchased CC Components used (hair, clothing etc.). With an Extended License the content can be used in an unlimited number of games or applications.

Please Note: Embedded content that comes with CC4 does not require an extended license. Motions also do not need an Extended License.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

jerome.dipietro
jerome.dipietro
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
Are you saying that if I've purchased hair models, or created a hair style using Hair Builder, I can only use it on one character? I thought the whole point of a tool like hair builder was that I could use it on all my characters! And if I've bought a hair model from the Store, are you saying that it's only actually for single use (if used in a commercial game)? That's not at all how the old Export license came across when I bought items like clothes/hair/etc. and seems totally against the whole concept of what Reallusion's software was about, or used to be about.

When iContent and Export licenses were merged I just remember you saying that it would simplify things. I certainly don't remember any mention of needing a new Extended license to export multiple characters with the same clothes.You can't just move the goal posts whenever you want. I've recommended Reallusion to others in the past but cannot in good conscience do so while this scammy behaviour is going on. Do you realise that you're trashing your reputation by such restrictive licenses?

The software's not exactly cheap. The  Content Store content is not exactly cheap either. Just let us use the software and purchased items to create all the different characters we want. That's why we bought the tools for in the first place. 

Unity Virtual Reality Developer
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I have been interested in this subject for quite some time, so I would like to share some of the knowledge I have gained.

All export licenses of CC components you purchased in the past should be automatically upgraded to extended license.

If you have a standard license, you can produce unlimited images and videos for personal or commercial use.
There is nothing here that affects individual users who produce pictures, videos or work for corporate companies. By purchasing standard licensed products, you can continue your work as before.

Extended license required for Gaming, AR and apps only.
So if you want to use CC components in games and applications, you need the Extended license. Extended license only applies to CC components (Hair, Clothing, Shoes, etc.).
All other products without extended license (animation, prop or some products without extended license) can be used commercially for game, application development without limitation. In addition, all of the content that comes with these programs and the characters you produce can be used in game production without any additional cost.

Allowing customization of characters was already prohibited in the old license, and it is still prohibited. However, with the newly issued license under the name of corporate license, this seems possible now.

Frankly, I did not fully understand the single-use license part.
The reason was, for example, I knew that if I wanted to use a hair component in game production, I had to get an extended license.

However, it seems like a good thing if I can use this character, which I created with the condition of using a standard licensed CC component in a single character, unlimitedly in games and/or applications.

As I mentioned, this is only required for games and applications developed for commercial use.
There doesn't seem to be much change in licenses for video and image production.

The issue that confuses people the most is the status of the export licenses purchased in the past. If these export licenses are CC components, they should all be automatically upgraded to the extended license. You can check this in your account. The Programs, the characters you produce with the Programs, and the content that comes with the program are already included in the extended license.

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/yepkoo
https://dev.epicgames.com/community/profile/bxvo/Yepkoo#learning

Edited
2 Years Ago by yepkoo
3dSphinx
3dSphinx
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

yepkoo (10/17/2022)

The issue that confuses people the most is the status of the export licenses purchased in the past. If these export licenses are CC components, they should all be automatically upgraded to the extended license. You can check this in your account. The Programs, the characters you produce with the Programs, and the content that comes with the program are already included in the extended license.

The issue is the new email is stating that isn't the case. They going back on what was previously told to export license holders. I am not making a game at the moment but dished out the extra money as a future investment if I decided to do that.  But now export is being technically downgraded to the same as a buyer that paid icontent license price but export holders that paid more money to have the same license.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7bbce563-3a4d-46e6-8748-3c0e.jpg
Edited
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

If you notice, this message indicates that the old licenses (iContent and Export) are no longer available and will be called Standard Licenses with the same rights.
CC components that you have purchased with export license in the past are not meant here. If there are CC components such as hair, clothes, etc. that you bought before the new licenses are released (close to last year), you can check whether they are automatically upgraded to the extended license on your membership page.
iContent licenses were not automatically upgraded to extended licenses.

Frankly, I agree that the e-mail was written in a way that would cause confusion.
However, they only apply to new purchases (from the date the Licenses changed).

Edited
2 Years Ago by yepkoo
3dSphinx
3dSphinx
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Very misworded if that's the case because it says legacy rights so that means past purchases. Export doesn't exist anymore so no reason to mention it about future. So the wording says legacy rights (past content licenses) both fall under Standard. And the person would have to purchase the Extended.

Besides who to say like January 2023 buyers get update the motions they bought have to now get an extended license and all motions bought before then is upgraded. But then August 2023 get another email saying well everyone who has standard needs to buy extended for outside use. So consistency is an issue as well. I don't want to worry about something changing down the road. When I was at the understanding of what I was told at the time of purchase.
Edited
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Yes, I think this is already to inform the old members.
It states that instead of the old rights, namely iContent and Export license, a Standard license with the same rights can be obtained.

Edited
2 Years Ago by yepkoo
jerome.dipietro
jerome.dipietro
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
Thanks @yepkoo for providing some clarification but I'm still confused.
You mention, "Allowing customization of characters was already prohibited in the old license, and it is still prohibited." That just doesn't make sense to me. Isn't Character Creator primarily designed to enable users to customise characters? Or am I missing something here?

I work as a VR developer so I assume I now fall foul of not only having had to buy the software but now having to pay again for the correct license to use it.

Unity Virtual Reality Developer
Edited
2 Years Ago by jerome.dipietro

Reading This Topic