Profile Picture

How do I Make a G2 character smile between speaking?

Posted By VocalPics 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
VocalPics
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi There, I'm an infrequent user of CTA3 and am working on a client animation. I have purchased Buddy Faces and have added a Buddy head to standard G2 body, which looks great. But the normal look of the Buddy face when not talking is quite miserable! I have added a voice track and want to make the character smile during pauses in his speech. I tried using the Sprite editor, selected Face and then clicked on the mouth in the sprite editor. This brought up loads of mouth shapes and I chose a happy mouth. But when I played the animation, after he smiles, the lip sync afterwards does not work... he remains smiling like a ventriloquist whilst he carries on speaking! What does Mouth_T, Mouth_S and Mouth_D mean on the Face timeline? As it puts a keyframe in one of these when I get him to smile?
I am sure I'm doing something silly here, but can't for the life of me work out how to stop the smile from overriding the mouth animation when he speaks again.

Can someone indicate what to do step by step please?
VocalPics
VocalPics
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)Senior Member (452 reputation)

Oh dear, Christmas time doesn't seem to be the best time to post on a forum like this, but if anyone out there can point me in the right direction on how to add specific mouth sprites (which smile) in between the automated lip sync mouth expressions without wiping out the rest of the auto lip sync mouth animations afterwards, I would be really grateful.
vepop
vepop
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/75c5be1c-d6c4-4f46-8e71-3d11.jpg
1.  In the Timeline, select the Voice Clip.
2. Break the clip. 
3. Move the 2nd clip a few frames away.
4.  Double click the frame where a new mouth sprite will take place.
5.  Lips Editor pops up. Choose a mouth sprite.
Hopefully this method works for your project.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9331d0a4-6a4b-4e86-9f88-963f.jpg
YouTube Tutorials Here
VocalPics
VocalPics
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi Vepop, thanks for replying, much appreciated.
I thought about cutting the voice track after I posted again, but haven't tried it yet. However, the mouth sprites available in the Lips Editor don't include all the mouth sprites available. The more smiley mouth only seems to be available when I select the Sprite editor, select Face and then click on Mouth in the Sprite Editor? Will cutting the voice track and moving it along and then adding the sprite using my method still work do you think? If so will I need to remove the smiley mouth sprite before the second half of the voice track will work again, and if so how?
Edited
3 Years Ago by VocalPics
vepop
vepop
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

Try replacing the mouth sprite (none)  with another sprite that you fancy.

YouTube Tutorials Here
VocalPics
This post has been flagged as an answer
VocalPics
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi Vepop, thanks for all your help. I tried your suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't work.
I have now found the solution through trial and error. The solution is far more simple and hope this will help someone else like me in the future...

If you want to use a mouth or other facial sprite temporarily without messing up the lipsync, just do the following:
1) Click to select the character and move the play head to where you want to change the mouth sprite
2) Click on the Sprite Editor and select face and then click the mouth to bring up all the mouth sprite options (this will give you more mouth sprites than the Lips editor)
3) Select the mouth sprite you want to use
4) Move the play head to where you want to stop using the new mouth sprite and in the Sprite editor with Face selected make sure the mouth is still selected and click the "Release" button which is below picture of head and to the right (It looks like 2 circular arrows). This will effectively stop the mouth sprite from continuing over the rest of the timeline. 

By doing the above steps, this ensures that lip sync is not lost after you have finished using the mouth sprite you have inserted. 
I'm sure this is fundamental stuff for most users, but for me it was not intuitive and I couldn't specifically find this solution in the user instructions or forums.

I am now a happy bunny until the next time I can't do something!
vepop
vepop
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank you @VocalPics.
I've tried your method and it works great. 

YouTube Tutorials Here

Reading This Topic