Character Creator constantly 'deleting' files

Posted By gekido 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
gekido
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 14 hours ago
What's up with this? I work on a file and after doing exports, pushing to iClone or what-have-you the actual CCProject files somehow get deleted? I've started managing them in a version control system so I can restore backups but this is horrific behaviour for a program like this?

Related: why does the project end up being 'temp.ccProject' after doing a push from CC to IClone? In what world would this ever be what you want as a user? 

www.twitter.com/gekido 
gekido
gekido
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)Veteran Member (861 reputation)

Last Active: 14 hours ago
As a follow up - this isn't some 'random' thing that happened once - it happens ALL OF THE TIME. I can have a project open, be doing some work on it, and then randomly when I try to save, the file that I opened is GONE and I'm suddenly saving a brand new file to disk. 

It's very obviously a bug in the save system (or auto save system? does CC do auto saves?) because every time this happens I end up with a file:

__RL_Save_File_.Temp

in the same directory - so obviously something went wrong with the save and this file didn't get copied back onto the original file. 

www.twitter.com/gekido 
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 49 minutes ago
gekido (6/26/2021)
It's very obviously a bug in the save system (or auto save system? does CC do auto saves?) because every time this happens I end up with a file:

__RL_Save_File_.Temp

in the same directory - so obviously something went wrong with the save and this file didn't get copied back onto the original file. 

I'm sorry to hear you are having these problems but I don't think it is a bug with the software otherwise it would affect everyone. I personally have never had this issue and we are not seeing any other reports of this issue so it is more likely a system specific problem.

You also mention temp folders and files which by their very nature they are intended to be temporary and are deleted at the end of your current session. The normal way to save your project is to click the + ADD button at the bottom of Content Manager and the project will be saved automatically in the correct custom folder. Never save anything in a Temp folder. Once a project is saved it can then be re-loaded from Content Manager when required.

You can find out more about how to save in Content Manager using the link below.

https://manual.reallusion.com/Character_Creator_3/ENU/3/Content/Character_Creator_3/3/04_Introducing_the_User_Interface/Content_manager.htm

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

OvO_4550
OvO_4550
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (76 reputation)New Member (76 reputation)New Member (76 reputation)New Member (76 reputation)New Member (76 reputation)New Member (76 reputation)New Member (76 reputation)New Member (76 reputation)New Member (76 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I am having this exact same issue. All same symptoms. This happens to every project I work on in CC3. I start them all the same, create a new project and save it to a file on my data drive which is a physically separate hard drive than the drive CC3 is installed to (not in the temp folders), and they disappear during the course of working on it. I didn't catch this last night when I saved and closed my project for the night only to find it missing when I went back in and in it's place is the _RL_Save_File_.Temp file. So, yeah, have to redo a couple hours of work from the backup version I made earlier.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 49 minutes ago
OvO_4550 (8/30/2021)
I am having this exact same issue. All same symptoms. This happens to every project I work on in CC3. I start them all the same, create a new project and save it to a file on my data drive which is a physically separate hard drive than the drive CC3 is installed to (not in the temp folders), and they disappear during the course of working on it. I didn't catch this last night when I saved and closed my project for the night only to find it missing when I went back in and in it's place is the _RL_Save_File_.Temp file. So, yeah, have to redo a couple hours of work from the backup version I made earlier.

Have you tried saving your project by simply clicking the + ADD button at the bottom of Content Manager (see below). This will save the project file to your custom library where you have a thumbnail available to load it at any time. I have never lost a project file using this method.

Please Note: Your Custom library is saved in the location you set during install. This does not have to be the C: drive and can be any drive you wish.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/813cd8db-2e07-4839-8821-06b6.jpg

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

renagoff
renagoff
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (51 reputation)New Member (51 reputation)New Member (51 reputation)New Member (51 reputation)New Member (51 reputation)New Member (51 reputation)New Member (51 reputation)New Member (51 reputation)New Member (51 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I'm guessing that it's expected to NOT "Save Project" but within ONE project go to Content Tab > then the Custom Tab and save there? And ideally only one project carries all the different characters we've created within the year, or whenever, there, in that One Main Project? I ran into questions such as the above questions posted here, on how to save a project, or the day's work, but I see the characters showed up in the Content/Custom folder, and we should save there intentionally, and not save a new project. Does that sound right?
Thanks.

Reading This Topic