"Failed to load the file" when opening project

Posted By _RESERVED__219337 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem.png
_RESERVED__219337
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
So I've been working on a project in iClone for a couple of weeks and after a couple hours of work I will save the file as normal. Then the next day when I go to work on it, I will get the error "Failed to load the file" when opening the project.

I have gotten into the habit of saving multiple backups, and usually that will do the trick, but last night for instance I saved four backups and all of them gave me the same error when I tried to open. It will load about halfway and then just pop up with that message with no more information.

Any help or ideas are appreciated! Not sure if something about the files are corrupting, how I am saving them, or if it's something with my computer. I am baking some pretty simple physics animations in the project if that helps, all simple 3D blocks and solid textures, nothing that I think would be super demanding but I have a pretty low-budget PC.

I have tried:
- Updating my graphics card
- Reinstalling / updating / closing and reopening iClone
- Hard reset multiple times on my machine
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi...

If you have been working on the project for the last couple of weeks do you have an earlier build from a day or so ago that you can try to load? This will help determine if the problem is with something you did to the project in the last time you worked on it. Also do other projects like the samples that come with iClone still load okay?

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

_RESERVED__219337
_RESERVED__219337
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)Junior Member (229 reputation)

I can! I can open up some of the earlier files but I feel like  even some of the older files are becoming corrupt and not letting me open them. Really weird.

So basically, every night that I'd work on it I would save a couple different files just in case. Some of them would open and some of them wouldn't. So I'm not sure if something's going wrong in the save process or if something in the project is causing it to act that way.

But yeah, some of my other past projects still open alright.
_RESERVED__219337
_RESERVED__219337
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Peter (RL) (4/15/2021)
Hi...

If you have been working on the project for the last couple of weeks do you have an earlier build from a day or so ago that you can try to load? This will help determine if the problem is with something you did to the project in the last time you worked on it. Also do other projects like the samples that come with iClone still load okay?

The previous files used to open but now they also give the same error. I tried starting completely over and the same thing seemed to happened.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.7K reputation)

_RESERVED__219337 (4/16/2021)
The previous files used to open but now they also give the same error. I tried starting completely over and the same thing seemed to happened.

Thanks for explaining more. Sounds like a possible hard drive issue if all projects are affected.

If you have another hard drive, try saving your projects to the different drive. If they save and load ok then that would indicate you have problem with the hard drive you were using. It would also be worth right clicking the hard drive in Windows Explorer, choose Properties and then the Tools tab. Then run an error check on the drive and also defrag it in case that is the issue.

If the drive checks out ok, then you may need to uninstall iClone and do a clean install just to eliminate a faulty install as the problem.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

jimsebor
jimsebor
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I have the same issue with Iclone8 "failed to load project" My hardrive is fine and I didn't do anything unusual. I put a few hours into this project, hopefully reallusion will get this kink out soon.
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

jimsebor (6/26/2022)
I have the same issue with Iclone8 "failed to load project" My hardrive is fine and I didn't do anything unusual. I put a few hours into this project, hopefully reallusion will get this kink out soon.

Is this a project created in iClone 8 or one originally from iClone 7? Also what is the size of the project (file size/triangle count)

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Cary B
Cary B
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
I have had very similar "Failed to Load File" issues. It has happened many times with many different projects. I thought perhaps my files were too big, but many of my biggest projects would still open, while smaller ones would not. 

So far in my experiments, it seems that the projects which fail to open are ones which used several of my legacy animations. I have many old animations that I converted, including Mixamo animations that I had converted using 3Dxchange. These would seem to work in Iclone 8, though sometimes I would get a message about having to "update" the motion when I applied it. 

I am not positive, but I suspect that the projects which use a lot of these old animations are the ones which fail to load. I have avoided using the old animations in recent projects and have not had the problem again so far. 

There are some old horse animations I use extensively from an old Iclone product. I have tried applying these animations then using a "collect clip" to replace them with a new clip before saving the project. This may have helped. I have also been very careful about trying to keep the size of my projects smaller, much smaller than what I used in Iclone 7. 

There is another thread about animations that are ballooning in size in the forum which may be related to this, not sure:  "Saved Project is Gigantic"

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/848c8492-ac67-42c2-9d27-461e.jpg

djjuanitopresents
djjuanitopresents
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)New Member (17 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Nope! It's not a "Hard drive issue" This is happening to me too! It just started out of the blue! I've been doing everything the same for years! My computer is new and loaded!
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

djjuanitopresents (7/30/2022)
Nope! It's not a "Hard drive issue" This is happening to me too! It just started out of the blue! I've been doing everything the same for years! My computer is new and loaded!

This is the iClone 7 archive forum. Are you having problems with projects not loading in iClone 7 or iClone 8. If it is iClone 8 please post questions and report issues in the correct forum.

If it is iClone 7, does the issue happen with all projects or just one? Also do you have any problems loading the sample projects that come with iClone?

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic