Profile Picture

Working with vector art using Affinity Designer and Cartoon Animator 4 Pipeline?

Posted By Wilby 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Working with vector art using Affinity Designer and Cartoon Animator 4...

Author
Wilby
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
vepop (1/20/2021)
No such problem on my side. 

hmm... Maybe your set up is a little different than mine. Do you use more than two (2) words for your "Users" folder name in Windows 10 64-bit? Folder is located by default at "C:/Users/[Your Name]/". As further testing, I've created a new User account and Windows automatically generated a single word "Users" folder name. I re-logged in into my system using that account and ran Cartoon Animator 4 Pipeline launching each of these same graphics editing software... and they worked in that kind of set up. But I would still like to retain my original User account so I hope this issue can be fixed soon.
vepop
vepop
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.7K reputation)

I've never heard of anyone having the same issue as yours.
Perhaps, this is a first case.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9331d0a4-6a4b-4e86-9f88-963f.jpg
YouTube Tutorials Here
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 4 minutes ago
Wilby (1/20/2021)

hmm... Maybe your set up is a little different than mine. Do you use more than two (2) words for your "Users" folder name in Windows 10 64-bit? Folder is located by default at "C:/Users/[Your Name]/". As further testing, I've created a new User account and Windows automatically generated a single word "Users" folder name. I re-logged in into my system using that account and ran Cartoon Animator 4 Pipeline launching each of these same graphics editing software... and they worked in that kind of set up. But I would still like to retain my original User account so I hope this issue can be fixed soon.

I used to use a two word username with Windows 10 and never had a problem with Affinity Paint or Designer. Sadly I no longer have a two word username in Windows so can't test it now. Please do keep in touch with Technical Support about this issue. They will be able to advise you if the issue is with CTA.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Wilby
Wilby
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)Veteran Member (752 reputation)

I've already contacted Reallusion Tech Support yesterday but I just couldn't wait for the reply any longer. I've just reset my Windows 10 operating system, created a new user account (the system auto-generated a single word "Users" folder name), and have reinstalled almost everything. I can now launch Affinity Designer without any issues so far. My machine is now also "fresher" and a little bit more responsive than before. Thanks everyone for trying to help me! :-)
Wilby
Wilby
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

hicksight (1/19/2021)
Ibis Fernandez (11/20/2020)

Keep in mind this flash player nonsense has nothing to do with animation and the actual production of animated content. That's just for browser based webstuff which no one is really making any more anyway. 

The SWF format is still the best format for animated vector based toons "

Ibis Fernandez is far more accomplished than I, but that doesn't prevent him from being just plain wrong.

When he says SWF is the best format and criticisms of it are "nonsense," he's just reflecting a deep bias from having long success with it. He also trash-talks SVG, which is plenty powerful and open source.

You all should be lobbying hard for CA5 to support SVG and then we can design with free tools such as Inkscape or great-value tools like Affinity Designer.

Adding support for SVG may be the next best thing for Cartoon Animator 4. While I was checking updates for my Win 10 OS after resetting it, I got reminded by this message... Crying

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bb8ffcd3-805d-49a0-90b5-754f.png

rfbindl
rfbindl
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Peter (RL) (1/11/2021)
You work with Affinity Designer (or Affinity Photo) in the same way as Photoshop using PSD sync and raster layers.

If you are working with vectors you will need to Rasterize first to flatten the layer otherwise Cartoon Animator will ignore it when saved.

This leads me to a question on importing PSD files for props and characters and then launching the prop or character back into Affinity Photo with the PSD link.

How are artists managing the process when they draw complex vector object, save to PSD, bring into CTA4, tweak bone and 360 positions, and then lauch back into Affinity Photo to edit the image again? (Where the PSD vector capabilities are lost).

I realize that PSD is a raster image, but in editing and saving it has vector properties and keeps them, but they're lost in the transition to CTA4. I can create the PSD, save, and open again in Affinity Photo and all the vector properties are kept in tact. 

Is this the only option? --- I've been saving the *.afphoto file and doing a copy/paste between the launched image and the original, but it's a little awkward.

Most of the time I draw with raster brush (I like the feel of drawing that way with pressure sensitivity and things), but I see so many people are drawing with the vector features that I'm pulled into that idea. I'd like to try more.

Wilby
Wilby
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

vepop (1/19/2021)
Is there any other option to create something like the animated SWF format?

I just discovered SVGator. Seeing what it can do, I think SVGs can possibly work like an animated SWF file... but it will require some adjustments to the future version of Cartoon Animator.
General Picture Animation
General Picture Animation
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I have been lobbying Reallusion to ditch support for SWF and incorporate SVG instead.
A glance at your SVGator link is VERY intriguing -- I sure would love to see a partnership between them and Reallusion!

Animating now to life itself --Walt Whitman 
Wilby
Wilby
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

hicksight (2/24/2021)
I have been lobbying Reallusion to ditch support for SWF and incorporate SVG instead.
A glance at your SVGator link is VERY intriguing -- I sure would love to see a partnership between them and Reallusion!

If Cartoon Animator will be able to read and use any imported animated SVG files regardless of what software it was created in, that would be magnificent! If ever Reallusion will partner with SVGator, I hope it would be more on how to integrate the technology into CA and NOT to involve any requirements to subscribe to a new service. I'm avoiding Adobe Creative Cloud and anything similar. :-P
Wilby
Wilby
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

rfbindl (1/30/2021)
Peter (RL) (1/11/2021)
You work with Affinity Designer (or Affinity Photo) in the same way as Photoshop using PSD sync and raster layers.

If you are working with vectors you will need to Rasterize first to flatten the layer otherwise Cartoon Animator will ignore it when saved.

This leads me to a question on importing PSD files for props and characters and then launching the prop or character back into Affinity Photo with the PSD link.

How are artists managing the process when they draw complex vector object, save to PSD, bring into CTA4, tweak bone and 360 positions, and then lauch back into Affinity Photo to edit the image again? (Where the PSD vector capabilities are lost).

I realize that PSD is a raster image, but in editing and saving it has vector properties and keeps them, but they're lost in the transition to CTA4. I can create the PSD, save, and open again in Affinity Photo and all the vector properties are kept in tact. 

Is this the only option? --- I've been saving the *.afphoto file and doing a copy/paste between the launched image and the original, but it's a little awkward.

Most of the time I draw with raster brush (I like the feel of drawing that way with pressure sensitivity and things), but I see so many people are drawing with the vector features that I'm pulled into that idea. I'd like to try more.

I was planning on using Affinity Designer (AD) to create vector characters and save in PNG. But will export said PNG with "Continuous Mode" feature turned on in AD so it automatically updates the said external file when I edit it in vector. If Cartoon Animator will constantly read the external referenced PNG files, this might work. But that is a big "if". I discovered someone who uses Spine Pro and Affinity Designer has this work flow. 
Edited
3 Years Ago by Wilby

Reading This Topic