Less Feature Updates MORE PERFORMANCE

Posted By greggoryaddison 4 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 3 votes.
Author
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I am not sure how you got that low VRAM utilization (UNLESS you duplicated them, which is a totally different story),
but after switching to 2K limit and transparency settings in both CC and iClone, transferring her 3 times to iClone, saving that project and reopening  I still got this:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6ab87d9a-94b8-4657-9bf1-d06f.jpg

But how can that be otherwise? That character has 2K texture by default. There are only three 4K textures (out of 148) applied to her:
sorted by dimension

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2081b830-b89b-4cb0-83dd-af8a.jpg

Edited
4 Years Ago by 4u2ges
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I should also mention that the difference between my out of memory render vs the reboot is that in the first session,  I was using skin tools to create my character ie trying different skin tools and settings / deleting them until i found the right one. ....the saved version also had the same final choice skin tools .....but was a fresh load ...also pointing directly at poor memory management being they should have been the same exact environments.  

Edited
4 Years Ago by planetstardragon
Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.4K reputation)

4u2ges (8/9/2020)
I am not sure how you got that low VRAM utilization (UNLESS you duplicated them, which is a totally different story),
but after switching to 2K limit and transparency settings in both CC and iClone, transferring her 3 times to iClone, saving that project and reopening  I still got this:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6ab87d9a-94b8-4657-9bf1-d06f.jpg

But how can that be otherwise? That character has 2K texture by default. There are only three 4K textures (out of 148) applied to her:
sorted by dimension

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2081b830-b89b-4cb0-83dd-af8a.jpg

Yes , I have duplicated them , you are right ,  different story.  Tongue & Nails.png -  24mb  thats huge.
Edited
4 Years Ago by Bassline303
animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I use 2k for the face, 1k for the rest, which has helped me. In one scene, I used 10G out of 11 of VRAM, so I needed to so something.

WARNING: The following is mere speculation on my part. I'm not privy to RL's design.

I think that if we could bake (meaning we don't need all the adjustments in iClone anymore) we would end up with the usual texture set. At one point everything has to be flattened like that anyway in order to render.

The textures you see are used to generate the final texture set, unless I'm wrong and they are part of the DHS shader. Still, they are shared so their contribution shouldn't multiply proportionally.

I appreciate that people are struggling and their experiences will hopefully encourage RL to further optimize. On the other hand, I do like the new features and the visual improvements I achieve for my characters.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

I agree @animagic with the baking,  that can at least help offset these super high settings

but aside from this, it's obvious from first going out of memory from my working file.....to a more stable render by simply restarting the program, that any edits I made in first project,  then remove during the creation process,  stays in ram -  else reloading the program should have had same out of memory error.   they need to flush their memory better when things are removed -  it's like that memory leak thing I've been trying to say for years... but now the bloat has gotten to the point that it's hindering creativity.

I appreciate the stuff Iclone and CC3 do very much,  else I wouldn't care about performance.  You don't see me complaining about autodesk lol!!   Someone at RL is taking shortcuts and overlooking serious issues that is trashing iclone and cc3 performance.  it has to be addressed. Too many great features to be lost to poor coding.

Edited
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Job, I totally understand what you are saying. I was always advocating here on the forum for user responsibility, when someone was trying to through unimaginable stuff into iClone (like models from cgtrader or other sources with millions or polygons or crazy texture) and demanding it to behave.
Yes, we should be responsible for brushing up our models and characters, while building a scene. And I am willing to help to those who does not know how.
But there are 2 sides of a coin. RL should be responsible for delivering a product, which is at least optimized to the level where ordinary user like myself would not find some outrages stuff to complain about.
And that is a case now.
I am always trying to be fair and backup my statements/complains. And if someone proves otherwise with hard evidence, I'd be glad to take my hat off, admit I was wrong and shut up.

Again, here are facts.
PBR character with 2K texture for critical body parts exported out of CC.
The overall texture size is 39 MB - 83 files

Same PBR character converted to CC3+ with medium 2K quality and exported out of CC
The overall texture size is 234 MB - 124 files

I am not a developer and I do not know the way it internally works and what else might be causing high VRAM utilization. But I see that huge difference, plus some obvious texture size *abuse* and I start asking questions.
I can optimise both PBR and CC3+ character, but in the end the difference in VRAM utilization would be at the same level (when compared).

BTW it is a great idea to have everything baked in iClone including DHS (if that is even possible) for characters which are customized and ready for render.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I'm using the word optimization,  specifically from my gaming experience especially from beta's ....in the beta's everything ran clunky - because everything was being loaded to ram and not optimized ...over time they add culling,  optimize image files and tweak processes / codecs to speed up performance.   iclone realtime basically follows the same concept,  and your evidence fantastically makes that apparent.    It's not just the code to clear the ram,  but optimizing images,  optimizing compression algorithms, and well thought out logistics .... like with headshot...how could they possibly mix and match a unique facial texture with a generic neck skin texture and expect it to have any resemblence to what the artist wanted from the unique image ?   that's just bad logistics and forcing an issue .....it's many little things that is actually making iclone and cc3 less pro and more "one algorithm fits all" - that's a techie making artistic decisions.   no sorry. -draws lines-  

Edited
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I hear you... Smile

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

we willl help get this right,  when I tell people I use iclone and cc3,  i want them to fear me and look at us with respect and awe, not snicker!   we have great tools here,  they just need some guidance and love. <3

greggoryaddison
greggoryaddison
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)Senior Member (476 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
wires (8/9/2020)
It would help if you posted your PC specs, without those there is no way that any useful help can be provided.

Win 10

Nvidia 1080 8gb

32 gb ram

256 ssd with 1tb hybrid hdd

I’m working on minimal and still shit frames and load times

Reading This Topic