iClone v7.7 - Alembic Import

Posted By wsessoms 4 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
wsessoms
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi,
I ran across this YouTube video about using Alembic animations inside of iClone 7. The problem with the video is one it has no sound / dialogue and two the explanation as to how to get Alembic animations to work in iClone 7 is very vague. It would be very useful to be able to use Alembic animations in iClone. 
Below is the link to the YouTube video. Can you take a look at it and see if you can tell how he was able to get the Alembic animation to work in iClone and explain how he did it.
I'm still learning the application and have no idea as to how this can be done but I would really appreciate any help with learning how to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qKw7cZHwpg

Thanks in advance for your help

Dell Precision T5500; Windows 10 Pro; Dual Xeon 5687 3.60GHz Processors; 72GB Ram; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080; Samsung 1TB SSD; Seagate 2TB 7200RPM HDD; Wacom Intuos Tablet; ASUS Dual Monitors
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Import Alembic is experimentally implemented in Python.
Reference: https://wiki.reallusion.com/IC_Python_API:RLPy_RFileIO

LoadAlembic function does not import mesh from the file and only loads animation. You have to have a respective mesh (which should completely match the one in .abc file) in iClone in order for it to work.
It also only works on soft cloth.
Thus it is very limited at the moment

Edited
4 Years Ago by 4u2ges
wsessoms
wsessoms
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Thanks for the reply. Have you tried importing Alembic animation into iClone 7 using a python script?
What I would like to do is import Alembic animation from Marvelous Designer into iClone 7.
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. In the process of learning Python. This would be a great plugin if it can be done.

Dell Precision T5500; Windows 10 Pro; Dual Xeon 5687 3.60GHz Processors; 72GB Ram; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080; Samsung 1TB SSD; Seagate 2TB 7200RPM HDD; Wacom Intuos Tablet; ASUS Dual Monitors
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Have you tried importing Alembic animation into iClone 7 using a python script?

Yes, I have done that. The only problem is, I only was able to import alembic to props.
I could not figure out how to import alembic directly to the soft cloth weighted to the avatar.
There is no way to select a cloth via Python and using GetSelectedObjects function cannot get a hold of the cloth either.
(If someone was able to pull this through, please post the code).

Here is how it applied to props:

And this is a script I was using:

import RLPy
file_path = "PATH TO ALEMBIC FILE"
object = RLPy.RScene.FindObject( RLPy.EObjectType_Prop, "Prop_Name" )
RLPy.RFileIO.LoadAlembicFile(object, file_path, RLPy.ECoordinateAxis_Y)

Note: Mesh name in the alembic file and the Mesh name of the prop it would be applied to MUST be the same.
Prop_Name (and I think mesh names as well) are case sensitive!

Edited
2 Years Ago by 4u2ges
wsessoms
wsessoms
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks 4u2ges. That is very interesting. I'm am going to try to give it a go and see what I come up with. Will keep you updated on any progress.
Thanks again!

Tugpsx
Tugpsx
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (180 reputation)Junior Member (180 reputation)Junior Member (180 reputation)Junior Member (180 reputation)Junior Member (180 reputation)Junior Member (180 reputation)Junior Member (180 reputation)Junior Member (180 reputation)Junior Member (180 reputation)

Do i need 3DXChange pipeline for this exporter to work? i get <class 'NotImplementedError'>, when running the script.
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Tugpsx (8/7/2020)
Do i need 3DXChange pipeline for this exporter to work? i get <class 'NotImplementedError'>, when running the script.

Hmm, good question. I do not know. Maybe someone from RL dev team can answer that.

animagic
animagic
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
4u2ges (8/7/2020)
Tugpsx (8/7/2020)

Hmm, good question. I do not know. Maybe someone from RL dev team can answer that.

You do need 3DXchange Pipeline as that enables Alembic and other export functions in iClone.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

ahingel
ahingel
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)

thank you for the script so much

but how do you create the .py file?
do you export if from blender?
im not good at all in code 

thank you
ahingel
ahingel
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)Veteran Member (566 reputation)

thank you for the script so much

but how do you create the .py file?
do you export if from blender?
im not good at all in code 

thank you
Edited
4 Years Ago by ahingel

Reading This Topic