Posted By ckalan1 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Error message: Failed to locate the iclone custom data folder

Author
ckalan1
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
I just got this error message.
Failed to locate the iclone custom data folder. iClone will not start.
I never got this before. I just updated to latest Windows 10.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
I uninstalled and reinstalled but I still get the same message.
I also change the location of the custom data when I did a new install but still get the same error.
But, I can get the program to start if I start 3dxchange and load a model then apply to iClone, iClone starts up normally.
I would love to hear from you guys.
Thanks,
Craig

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Hi Craig

If this issue started after a Windows 10 update then it may be that the update has changed your permission settings preventing access to certain folders or drives.

First thing to try is Right Click the iClone 7 desktop icon and select "Run As Administrator". Does this allow iClone 7 to launch correctly?

If iClone 7 still won't launch correctly, please check your Registry to see if your custom data folder is set correctly.

WARNING: This is NOT recommended for those who are unfamiliar with registry editing. Only proceed if you feel comfortable doing so.

1) Type Regedit into the Search box on the Task bar and hit Enter.
2. Select "Regedit Run Command" from the displayed list.
3) Once Regedit is open, navigate to the location below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Reallusion\iClone\7.0

4) Now check that the "Custom Data" folder is correct. (pay particular attention for any extra spaces or missing letters)
5) Now navigate to the location below and check again that the "Custom Data" location is correct.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Reallusion\iClone\7.0

6) If the Custom Data address is not correct you can edit it to correct the errors.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

ckalan1
ckalan1
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Thanks, I will give it a try.
Craig
ckalan1
ckalan1
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hello Peter, 
Everything in the registry is correct. 
What I find interesting is that I can launch iClone 7 from CC3 and 3dxchange. It does not work every time. It does most of the time.
When started the computer today iClone 7 launched. But, when I turned iClone 7 off and try to restart iClone 7 I got the same error and the program would not launch.
Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig

ckalan1
ckalan1
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I got another Windows update. I was able to launch iClone 7. I turned it off and was able to launch it again successfully. I turned it off again but the third time I launched iClone 7 I got the error message again and was unable to launch iClone7.

Craig
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
ckalan1 (4/5/2020)
I got another Windows update. I was able to launch iClone 7. I turned it off and was able to launch it again successfully. I turned it off again but the third time I launched iClone 7 I got the error message again and was unable to launch iClone7.

Craig

Hi Craig

If the problem is intermittent then this may indicate an issue with the hard drive itself. Try opening Windows File Explorer > This PC. Then right click the drive where the content is stored and choose Properties. Now on the Tools tab (see below) try running an error check on the drive to see if there are any problems. If that checks out ok, try defragmenting the drive which may help if it is badly fragmented.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/79e5fe69-adc5-4579-8a0a-1db5.jpg

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

ckalan1
ckalan1
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I set up the file on different drives and got the same error.
I just got some info from tech support. They suspect that Windows corrupted some registry entries and the AppData\Local\Temp file.I will let you know what happens after I try their suggestions.
Craig

kenmatthews
kenmatthews
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hello,
I received this message. "Failed to locate the iClone custom folder. The path is J:\Users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\Custom\iClone 7 custom. Please make sure you have the rights to access this folder and that the file exists."
The drive I have all the contents of iClone on is my 'J drive.'...This happened after I updated Windows (see attached screenshot)
After having problems, I switched off iClone 7 and restarted Windows, then tried to open iClone 7, which is when I received the error message...
After trying everything I could think of, I started to check my computer, which is when I discovered my 'K' drive had disappeared and my "J" drive (which has all my iClone content) had been given the drive letter "K". (which is why the computer can't find the content)...  I then tried to change the drive letter back to "J" which is when I discovered the drive letter "J" had also disappeared...
So I'm now at the point (after viewing my Windows update history) where I wonder whether I should cross my fingers and uninstall the Windows update!
I'm not going to make any decision until after 1300 hours BST today, (28/07/2020, this is when my stepson (a computer expert) will do a remote viewing of my computer. I definitely do not want to have to reload all my programmes again... If anybody else has any other suggestions I would be very grateful.
Best regards
Ken 

The more I learn, the more I realise, I know nothing!
Attachments
windows update.png (88 views, 638.00 KB)
wires
wires
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Ken,

You can change the disk letter from K to J using the Windows Disk Management. You can read how to do that using the information available in these search results. If you don't feel comfortable doing that yourself then I would suggest that you let your stepson take care of it for you. If it's done correctly then you won't loose any files.

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

kenmatthews
kenmatthews
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hello Gerry,
Thanks for that, been there and done that several times. The problem is the drive letter "J" is not available. It seems to have been re-allocated to a hidden 'something' that appears to contain nothing... Still waiting for stepson but I blame the windows update. There is a facility to uninstall the update but I am hesitant, my skills are good not expert... Will wait for Scott...
Best regards.
Ken

The more I learn, the more I realise, I know nothing!

Reading This Topic