Profile Picture

Help tracking down hair style

Posted By Rayvn322 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Rayvn322
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (377 reputation)Senior Member (377 reputation)Senior Member (377 reputation)Senior Member (377 reputation)Senior Member (377 reputation)Senior Member (377 reputation)Senior Member (377 reputation)Senior Member (377 reputation)Senior Member (377 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Can anyone point me in the direct of the hair styles used in the new Wild &Chic promo pictues. Looked through what i believe is every hair style in the Content Store. Think I went through all the SWAM styles and essentials as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c55908a0-d5d4-4d9e-b3ea-1c47.png
Dorothy Jean
Dorothy Jean
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I don't believe these are available for purchase.  I also was unable to find them. You should check out my store. I sell alot of hair styles you may like  ☺️https://marketplace.reallusion.com/store/DorothyJThompson

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/dbdccbe9-2417-45d2-b87d-7b31.jpg

Scyra
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
The fourth one looks like Whitney Hair from Daz. I think they are all Daz hairs. Hopefully RL can pick up some more good hair artists. Export content prices here are far more reasonable than Daz's overpriced and suddenly-vanishing-forever Interactive Licenses.

CC3 & Daz Tricks | CC3 to Unity workflow

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 26 minutes ago
You're right on all counts.  I think these are all Daz hairs -- first one looks like Ladina, second is called (I think -- I have all of these but this particular one I didn't bring over into CC3 yet) single tail, the third is possibly Lana or Voss (honestly I have around five Daz ones that all kind of fit this) and I agree the last is Whitney.  All of these work well in CC3 and if you are a Platinum club member they can all (usually) be gotten for a very reasonable cost (usually around $5 -- you always wait for a sale AND you always get $6 per month as part of your membership so it pays for itself in no time).

As I demo elsewhere, it's easy to make your own hair and while it does take *some* artistic talent it's not terrible to learn (I have all the women's hair I want or need, but I'm always in need of short men's hair so that's what I concentrate on making).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Dorothy Jean
Dorothy Jean
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.0K reputation)

Kelleytoons (12/14/2019)
You're right on all counts.  I think these are all Daz hairs -- first one looks like Ladina, second is called (I think -- I have all of these but this particular one I didn't bring over into CC3 yet) single tail, the third is possibly Lana or Voss (honestly I have around five Daz ones that all kind of fit this) and I agree the last is Whitney.  All of these work well in CC3 and if you are a Platinum club member they can all (usually) be gotten for a very reasonable cost (usually around $5 -- you always wait for a sale AND you always get $6 per month as part of your membership so it pays for itself in no time).

As I demo elsewhere, it's easy to make your own hair and while it does take *some* artistic talent it's not terrible to learn (I have all the women's hair I want or need, but I'm always in need of short men's hair so that's what I concentrate on making).

I know DAZ hair is extremely high poly count, at least the hair i have tried, i could make hair like the photo the OP showed if i used a higher poly count.  Right now i don't go over 16,000 Tris.   Any hard limits?  I guess it really depends on computer specs too.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Not all Daz hair is high poly -- some is even lower than "normal" RL sold hair.

Of the Daz hair I've converted (and I would guess I've converted about 90% of all hair sold on the Daz site) I would estimate that about half is either the same as RL hair or only slightly higher.  There is some hair that's higher that's still usable, and there is some hair that is not usable at all (I'd say out of the hundreds I've converted only 10 or 20 fall into this category).  What I always suggest to folks is they ask me -- I can tell them if a Daz hair will work or not.

But since the Blender Hair tool is cheap (less than $40) it's really easy for anyone to make their own hair and I would advise folks interested in such to do so.  Once you've mastered this (and it only takes a week or two) you can then do anything you want without having to rely upon others making it for you (and no offense, Dorothy -- you hair makers are great and up until now it's been the only way anyone can really get the hair they need.  But like all things, the time has passed).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Dorothy Jean
Dorothy Jean
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Kelleytoons (12/15/2019)
Not all Daz hair is high poly -- some is even lower than "normal" RL sold hair.

Of the Daz hair I've converted (and I would guess I've converted about 90% of all hair sold on the Daz site) I would estimate that about half is either the same as RL hair or only slightly higher.  There is some hair that's higher that's still usable, and there is some hair that is not usable at all (I'd say out of the hundreds I've converted only 10 or 20 fall into this category).  What I always suggest to folks is they ask me -- I can tell them if a Daz hair will work or not.

But since the Blender Hair tool is cheap (less than $40) it's really easy for anyone to make their own hair and I would advise folks interested in such to do so.  Once you've mastered this (and it only takes a week or two) you can then do anything you want without having to rely upon others making it for you (and no offense, Dorothy -- you hair makers are great and up until now it's been the only way anyone can really get the hair they need.  But like all things, the time has passed).

You are correct about the blender hair tool. It is very easy to use (If you know blender).  That is what I use to make hair and it only took me a few weeks to really get it down. But I alone created all the content on my store  and used the hair tool add on for all the hair.   I guess I only tried a few Daz hairs and they all had huge poly counts so just assumed they all did, so thanks for the great info on that!   

Right now I feel like the marketplace has pretty much (almost) any hairstyle anyone wants. Someone could always create a topic with suggestions on different hair styles they need and cannot find, then us hair creators can get ideas on new styles to make!  

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Maybe I haven't looked at the Marketplace lately (and that's true) but the one hair style I've NEVER seen (even from Daz, and definitely not from RL) is shorter men's hair.  I don't mean bald, I don't mean the "Classic Taper" that RL offers, I mean a short, decent hair for men that about 80% of all men over the age of 50 have in various forms.  You only have to look at such public figures as Biden, Sanders, Gore (to name some politicos) or Clint Eastwood, Michael Caine, Bill Murray, Kevin Spacey in Hollywood to see these styles.  They are "balding" but not bald, and their thin hair is just something hair makers don't attempt (or perhaps don't do well).  Some of the stuff I've seen that purports to do this is pitiful.  And yet it's a huge need for those of us not totally concentrating on women (and young women at that - seems that's all anyone wants over at Daz).

While I am making some myself (for my own use -- I have no desire to get into sales) I think a lot of folks would welcome such hair.  It's pretty amazing no one has even tried (the closest I've seen is some fibermesh hair at Daz -- and FM hair is pretty awful inside of iClone).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Scyra
Scyra
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Dorothy Jean (12/15/2019)

I know DAZ hair is extremely high poly count, at least the hair i have tried, i could make hair like the photo the OP showed if i used a higher poly count.  Right now i don't go over 16,000 Tris.   Any hard limits?  I guess it really depends on computer specs too.

Many times Daz hairs like these are around 200K triangle count. This cripples performance. With Polygon Reduction you can take them down to 40K—50K and they still look great, and performance is restored. Right now there is a glaring quality difference between most hairs and the Digital Humans. We need hairs like these...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/58b76dd3-f715-42d0-9468-704c.png

That is Dax Hair from Daz at 27K, down from the original 68K, but looking 100%, identical.

CC3 & Daz Tricks | CC3 to Unity workflow

Dorothy Jean
Dorothy Jean
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Scyra (12/15/2019)
Dorothy Jean (12/15/2019)

Many times Daz hairs like these are around 200K triangle count. This cripples performance. With Polygon Reduction you can take them down to 40K—50K and they still look great, and performance is restored. Right now there is a glaring quality difference between most hairs and the Digital Humans. We need hairs like these...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/58b76dd3-f715-42d0-9468-704c.png

That is Dax Hair from Daz at 27K, down from the original 68K, but looking 100%, identical.

Wow that looks great!  So 27K is OK?  I guess I never though anything over 16,000 was really OK to use.   Let me know how your system runs with that hair.  I could make some pretty decent hair with that poly count, however, that hair style is short. A long one would almost double the poly count.
Here is an example of some of my hair i created that is on the marketplace. It does not look that bad with the digital human shader. Its around 17,000 Triangles.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/628f2d08-6dce-4610-a1b5-4081.jpg

Reading This Topic