Profile Picture

MOTION CLIP IS NOT ENOUGH AND IT IS FRUSTRATING. I WANT TO BE A PROFESSIONAL ANIMATOR.

Posted By Pitapan 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

MOTION CLIP IS NOT ENOUGH AND IT IS FRUSTRATING. I WANT TO BE A...

Author
Pitapan
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I have been using Iclone for the past 5 years. I started with Iclone 5.2
My attraction to Iclone is the simplicity.
Someone laughed at me on Instagram that I am using a COPY and PASTE Program because I can't make my own motions.
I need to rely on pre-made motions and the rest.
Truth be said, I used to call myself an animator, but what is an animator if he does not know what the 12 principles of animation and apply them?
Then ICLONE came with Curve Editor. I was excited about it, not because I know how to use it, but because  I have read about the importance of curve editing for a real professional animator.
There are many motion clips in the market including Mixamo library, but they are not enough for a customized job.
I want to make my own unique motions like a real professional.
I get irritated when I see iclone videos on Youtube. I see same motions, same character, same clothing.
So what am I saying?
How can I make my own professional Character animation using the Character Editing and  Curve Editor?
I want to know how to move from Step to spline professionally.
I hope I am making sense to someone.

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
The funny thing is, I'm working to move in the opposite direction.  I tend to do too much manual keyframe animation, which is very tedious, and want to get more productive by leveraging pre-defined motions more often.

You can use "Edit Motion Layer" to move/rotate any joint on a character, but it's very tricky to make a natural motion that way.  The Curve Editor helps greatly to smooth out and correct those manual keyframes.  On the other hand, you can also take a pre-generated motion and modify it to make it unique, and still use the Curve Editor to help refine it.  That's what I want to do more often, since 80-95% of the animation will have already been done for me, saving many hours of work.

Another possible solution for you is motion capture, using something like the Perception Neuron suit.  Then you can dance, jump, duck, kick, and make custom motions to your heart's content.  I don't do that because I don't do enough "real" animation to justify the cost, but it's a fantastic option and I'm jealous of the people who have that in their toolkit.

The bottom line is the finished product, not how you made itA "real" professional animator needs to be productive.  People that do architectural visualization renderings often start by thinking they need to model everything in the room, but that's a mistake.  A professional arch vis person recognizes the value of buying assets (tables, lamps, vases, books, fruit, faucets) and using them to create a beautiful rendering in weeks rather than months or years.  So apply the same logic to your animation.  There is no shame is using something pre-defined; it's smart, as long as the end result is good.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

The-any-Key
The-any-Key
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
My idea is to use motions clips as much as possible. As they often got natural motions and are very easy to adjust and make something totally different compared to the original motion of the clip. And you can combine motion clips to get an never ending stream of unique motions. Key-framing is hard to get natural in the end. Why not start with something natural and then just adjust it to create a unique animation?

iClone 7, 3DXchange 7 Pipeline, CC3 Pipeline, CT8 Pipeline, Iray, Live Face, iPhone Xr, Win 10, i9 9900K ~5GHz, Nvidia RTX 2080 8GB, 16GB Ram, M.2 SSD
charly Rama
charly Rama
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 59 minutes ago
And it's really simple to avoid "same characters, same clothing" at Iclone, you can make your changements at CC3, change your cloths if you want

thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
Regarding motions, I've always found the puppeteering abilities to be a good middle ground between keyframing and motion capture for unique motions.  The motion puppet allows you to tweek characteristics of ready made motions, re-time the sequence via your mouse motions and mask out body parts (particularly helpful for motions from a seated position) while the direct puppet is pretty good for adding lifelike movements to individual body parts (which can be done after setting a pose) again using mouse motions.  Its definitely an often used tool in my toolbox.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Edited
5 Years Ago by thebiz.movies
ultimativity
This post has been flagged as an answer
ultimativity
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I decided to go with the iPhoneX and LiveFace solution for expressions. What I have found in filmmaking is that that most of my camera shots are close to medium. Therefore, very little of the body actually needs to be animated. Just as building an entire residential block to get a shot in a character's driveway is unnecessary. 

For full body animation, I use motion clips and tweak them with Edit Motion Layer, as others in this thread have mentioned. Some vendors sell motions for NPCs, such as at a concert or out on the city streets. In Unity and other game engines, there are AI based solutions. Increasingly, old style keyframing is being replaced either by motion clips or by AI based animations. 

Nathan

Dragonskunk
This post has been flagged as an answer
Dragonskunk
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Someone recently at a Blender convention said something profound about animation, you are not animating a rig you are animating a character.
People tend to get caught up on the tech and forget that the tech doesn't matter. Iclone gets the job done. What really matters in animation is, once you are past the 12 steps, is personality. Everything about the character's movements tells something about the character. When you want a character to run you don't just slap a run.iMotion on it you transform the run until it has its own style that goes with the character's personality.

All Imotions are unflavored so add flavor to them.
The personality is part of the story you are telling. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f8b4a0cb-3b22-4fc7-8c88-7997.gif

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0d5a6aa-f907-4e06-b7ab-3cc3.jpg
Pitapan
Pitapan
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)Veteran Member (810 reputation)

Dragonskunk (10/29/2019)

All Imotions are unflavored so add flavor to them.
The personality is part of the story you are telling. 
Thank you. I see a lot of sense in your comment.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f8b4a0cb-3b22-4fc7-8c88-7997.gif

Pitapan
Pitapan
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thank you. I tend to undermine the power of Iclone.
Because, it is so simple I want Iclone to do all the work for me.
Thanks for the comment

james_muia
james_muia
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Late to the party but this is an interesting discussion. I would just like to add that you have to ask yourself what your end goal is. To me, it sounds like you want to make your own animations. If that's the case, then create your own from scratch using the program!

However, if your end goal is to be a storyteller, or film creator - then you are essentially the animator, editor, visual effects guy, director, producer, screenplay writer, etc. You are all of it. Unless you have a team of people helping you, which let's face it - most of us don't.

For me, I want to produce animated films in the highest quality that I can achieve. My goal is to produce each film with better quality than the one before it. I have purchased, and use a lot of motions (which by the way, still require a lot of tweaking for any scene they are used in) because it saves me time. Instead of creating a motion from scratch, I tweak existing motions. That is honestly what really turned me on to IClone in the first place. I am not a great animator, but I can tweak the hell out of things pretty well.

It already takes a TON of time to make something somewhat professional, and if you add in animating from scratch into that mix - you'll never finish or at the very least spend a lot more time on each project.

So find out what your goal is, and focus on that. Take whatever short cuts you can for the other things. Most importantly, enjoy the journey!

IMDB: James Muia
Aviticus Dragon on YouTube

Computer Specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-7820X Processor (8x 4.30GHz/11MB L3 Cache)
Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm
Liquid CPU CoolerASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming Motherboard
32 GB DDR4-3200 GSKILL Ripjaws V Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - 11GB - EVGA FTW3

Reading This Topic