Tips & Tricks for Unreal Engine 4

Posted By Bassline303 5 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 2 votes.
Author
toystorylab
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Bassline303 (10/18/2020)

1. I do it this way: (Run Cycle)

That's what I tried yesterday. Though I first had to edit the motion as it was a "root motion".
I have no idea which buttons i pushed yesterday (a lot Blush) but it did not work,
kept flipping back as soon motion looped, and i "restored" the motion as original.
Now i checked again and the only tick i did was "Force Root Lock" in "Root Motion".
Now it works Wink

Bassline303 (10/18/2020)

2. Gras problem when rendering , try to give UE4 some time for warmup before the render starts : (try some time settings by yourself)

Yo, that worked! 3 s before warm up was not enough but 7 worked Kiss

Bassline303 (10/18/2020)

Why do you want to deactivate LOD ?

Well to stop my grass popping up...
I had no idea what it was, so thought deactivate LOD would do the trick.
Remember I'm still an Unreal dummy in technical terms! BigGrin

Bassline303 (10/18/2020)

UE4 is still in the conversion from a Realtime Game Engine to a Track based Cinematic Sequencer  , thats why it is so complicated some times , hope UE5 will be much easier for us :-)

Yeah, I'm quite confident that Unreal has us "Filmmakers" in mind too!

Now I "only" (well probably a 100.000 other things in the future) have to find a way to take better control over my particles...

T.H.A.N.X.

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

What is Root Motion ? And how to save your own animations done in UE4. 
When you record your custom made animations in UE4 , it saves it with "Force Root Lock" (In Place) ...you have to untick that , so the animation plays the recorded root too.

@Robert : Sorry , Dynamic Lights Tutorial mid next week  (didn't find the time for it at the WE) Tongue

Edited
4 Years Ago by Bassline303
toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (17.0K reputation)

Thanx for pointing me to the save motion thing!
The problem was/is that I retargeted a motion with built in root motion.
When I tried to use it the described error with backflipping to original location when looped or duplicated occured.
By ticking "force root lock" it went to "in place" motion and I can use it...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6234e04a-917d-4e65-b686-c0bc.png

So, now I know how to save motions I can make perfekt "long" walks/runs,
so I don't have to adjust ratio time/length over and over again...Wink
Thanx

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

nealtucker
nealtucker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Thanks for this bit of info. all these Tips are invaluable from all you testers, I follow everyone with great hope that some will stick! 
Also can this be done as I have not found a way? So I get a perfect walk of say 3mtrs but want to extend it to 6 or 10 mtrs placing the animation at the end of the first to get a continuous longer walk, I can do this with ease in IC but could not fathom out how to do it in UR?......or if it can indeed be done, if so then please share as this will help me a lot.
thanks
N. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View my latest Iclone project THEY ARE HERE Renegades versus the overlords Resize Editor
Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

nealtucker (10/18/2020)
Thanks for this bit of info. all these Tips are invaluable from all you testers, I follow everyone with great hope that some will stick! 
Also can this be done as I have not found a way? So I get a perfect walk of say 3mtrs but want to extend it to 6 or 10 mtrs placing the animation at the end of the first to get a continuous longer walk, I can do this with ease in IC but could not fathom out how to do it in UR?......or if it can indeed be done, if so then please share as this will help me a lot.
thanks
N. 

This feature is coming in UE4.26.  It is already in UE4.26 preview 3 , but better wait for the final 4.26 :-) , it is not that stable yet.

Sequencer Improvements:
  • Nonlinear Animation. This collection of features improves Sequencer tools to create, modify, join, and blend animation assets in order to quickly author new animation cinematics for virtual productions and games. This will reduce the need to use external tools for animation authoring and blending. These improvements include blending the root motion of skeletal animation sequences; joint matching for better blending and placement; skeleton animation preview for precise placement; and Control Rig FK / IK integration.
Edited
nealtucker
nealtucker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Great news and I thought it was just me being thick as usual when it comes to UR LOL..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View my latest Iclone project THEY ARE HERE Renegades versus the overlords Resize Editor
rosuckmedia
rosuckmedia
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hi Bassline,
No Problem.Smile
Thank you for the Save Animation tutorial.
Good news for 4.26
Best regards Robert
Edited
4 Years Ago by rosuckmedia
Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

toystorylab (10/18/2020)
Thanx for pointing me to the save motion thing!
The problem was/is that I retargeted a motion with built in root motion.
When I tried to use it the described error with backflipping to original location when looped or duplicated occured.
By ticking "force root lock" it went to "in place" motion and I can use it...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6234e04a-917d-4e65-b686-c0bc.png

So, now I know how to save motions I can make perfekt "long" walks/runs,
so I don't have to adjust ratio time/length over and over again...Wink
Thanx

Tip :  When you do your own walk/run Cycles or whatever recordings , let the Character always start at location 0/0/0 , so the pivot is at start up 0/0/0 in the recorded animation (better to handle).  :-)
Edited
toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Okidoki Wink

Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

There is a free Version of Atom Crowds , will test it ...

Reading This Topic