Profile Picture

CC3 to MotionBuilder with mocap

Posted By mr.emeryk 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
mr.emeryk
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Hello !

I'm building some humanlike-robots, and i'm using the character generator from Autodesk to create my models. I would like to get some better models so I will probably get CC3.
I'm using motion capture (with Motive) and facial mocap (with Performer2SV linked to MotionBuilder) to create the animations. I'm cleaning the mocap with MotionBuilder and finally I put this in Unity.

I tried to do the same thing with the free trial from CC3 but I encountered some problems :
1)  When I export my character FBX, I had to use 3DXChange to make a skeleton that can be used in MotionBuilder. I also had to do some ajustements on the bones hirarchy.
2) After that, the animation looks good but the teeth had no blendshapes so I couldn't use my facial mocap (looks super weird without teeths opened).
3) I found a tutorial showing how to create the blendshape for teeth with Blender, but after that, the FBX export couldn't be open in MotionBuilder but worked in Unity.

So I'm asking if someone is doing something similar to me, or if you know the best way to do it.
In the end I need a rigged character for MotionBuilder with face/teeth blendshapes.
Thanks !
billgucci2
billgucci2
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)

Group: Banned Members
mr.emeryk (1/31/2019)
2) After that, the animation looks good but the teeth had no blendshapes so I couldn't use my facial mocap (looks super weird without teeths opened).

So I'm asking if someone is doing something similar to me, or if you know the best way to do it.
In the end I need a rigged character for MotionBuilder with face/teeth blendshapes.
Thanks !

This works,

"SkinWrap" the teeth and tongue to the head mesh.
Move the bones and vertices to create all of your BlendShapes.
Each blendshape contains the teeth and tongue.
Now you can easily follow you current workflow.

but.... once you "SkinWrap" the teeth and tongue.... you can NOT bring the character back into CC3.

Skin transfers (from like characters) really fast.
Save various version so you can go back to CC3 and produce 'NEW' versions.

Edited
5 Years Ago by billgucci2
mr.emeryk
mr.emeryk
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)Junior Member (168 reputation)

Thanks for your answer, what do you use for the skin wrap ? 3DS Max ?
billgucci2
billgucci2
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)

Yes, sorry for the late reply.
mr.emeryk
mr.emeryk
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Can you explain me how you do this ? 
I wanted to use the classic morpher to create my blendshapes but teeths are in 1 block, I don't have upper/lower.
The skin wraper isn't doing anything when I "link" teeths to the head, pretty sure I'm doing this wrong
billgucci2
billgucci2
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

mr.emeryk (2/4/2019)
Can you explain me how you do this ? 
I wanted to use the classic morpher to create my blendshapes but teeths are in 1 block, I don't have upper/lower.
The skin wraper isn't doing anything when I "link" teeths to the head, pretty sure I'm doing this wrong

No upper and lower teeth..... 2 choices.

Morph the teeth to "Match" all of your blendshapes.
Now apply "Morpher" to the head base mesh.
Add your "Head" blendshapes.
Then add your teeth blendshapes."

1. Head blenshape "Mouth Open" = 100 %.
2. Teeth blenshape "Mouth Open" = 100 %.
Repeat.

Or....

<This is what I do.>
Select the polygons for the Head and assign them Material ID (1).
Select the polygons for the "Upper Teeth and Gums" and assign them Material ID (2).
Select the polygons for the "Lower Teeth and Gums" and assign them Material ID (3).
"Attach".... the teeth to the "Head"  NOT Link.
"Teeth and Head are (1) mesh."

Adjust Head Skin: (Use "Select by ELEMENT")

Create the "Mouth Open" blendshape.
1. Rotate the Jaw bone to open the mouth.
~ Weight Mat ID (2) Upper Teeth and Gums 100 % to the "HEAD BONE"
~ Weight Mat ID (3) Lower Teeth and Gums 100 % to the "JAW BONE"

(You are NOT done.)
The lower teeth is 100% weighted to the jaw, which means that the corner of the mouth follows the jaw bone... TOO MUCH.
"Raise the corner'S of the mouth upward approx. 65%." Results in realistic position.

Now when you move the bones to create the rest of your blendshapes.... the teeth are taken care of.

THIS.... works for you because (In MotionBuilder) ...You DON'T need a separate track to configure the teeth.
Your Blendshapes have the "Teeth" following the Head.
Understand now?

Edited
5 Years Ago by billgucci2
mr.emeryk
mr.emeryk
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Got it ! 
Thanks for your help and your time !

Reading This Topic