Profile Picture

PBR materials

Posted By gmach5 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
gmach5
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I'm using Iclone vs. 7.3.  When applying a PBR material the shader maps change to the selected material but do not appear on the prop on the screen.  I have PBR turned on for the project and defaults applied and PBR selected for shader type in the modify panel.  The manual does not indicate anything else to do and can't find a forum topic for problem.  What am I doing wrong or need to do?
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Do they render?

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
What is your Preview "quality" setting set to?
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/00134bc4-3ba2-4f24-8ab8-2285.jpg

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

gmach5
gmach5
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)Junior Member (230 reputation)

Thank you both Kellytoon and Justavinking.  After hours and hours of trying to get this to work, this is what I found out:
Every material has two files: a .PNG file and a .SBSAR file.  I failed to see this before.
On medium setting this is what happens using the 2 file formats:
.PNG files:     Does change screen view
                       does NOT change maps
                       does NOT render
.SBSAR files:  does NOT change screen view
                        Does change maps
                        Does render
On high setting the files act as following:
.PNG does not change screen, does not change maps, does not render
.SBSAR changes screen, maps and renders
Lesson: Work on high setting for each object then switch to medium.  Problem: screen view reverts to previous established maps when switching to medium. Seems like this creates a nightmare workflow situation.  You have to check every single object to make sure it is right before rendering or have to render multiple times to correct errors.  Or, never use medium which negates the purpose of having it and having PNG files.
Thank you very much for your help.  Took two full days to figure out one demonstrated material change in a beginners tutorial. At least I got it to work and learned how to use the forum.  Hope this helps others.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

PNG files should work and should be reflected in screen view, at least in high mode (I never work in any other mode).  Can you post a sample where this does not?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1696cc7a-70c7-4e03-a6f3-6d2f.png

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Every material has two files: a .PNG file and a .SBSAR file.  I failed to see this before.
On medium setting this is what happens using the 2 file formats:
.PNG files:     Does change screen view
                       does NOT change maps
                       does NOT render

You mean this .png file?
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7d02656c-47c2-424e-a130-cba2.jpg

It is not a material. It merely a shortcut to an icon, which should not be there in the first place.
To avoid confusion do not assign materials from the PACK tab.
Use MEDIA tab instead, where Substance is listed by the materials type and does not include png icons.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/eb343077-4964-4dda-8ba5-e3a2.jpg

As to quality control, it directly relates to the "Real-time render options" in "Preferences".
You can have "Medium" up and then manually check what you need to see in real-time.
Once you override a default real-time options, it tuns into "Custom"

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/07b2871d-fb09-4639-8b27-0ba3.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by 4u2ges
gmach5
gmach5
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks all. I think I got it. The material PNG file is basically a thumbnail with the working real file being Sbsar.  Turning off high resolution reverts the scene to the base original png file which would conserve resources.  Final quality checks would always be done in HIGH and all renders would be in HIGH. Using the media files prevents the confusion.  I can live with all of that.  Had to go back and forth a lot to figure it out with your direction.  Thank you.  Kelleytoons I was never able to get a png file to show in the high setting but as I learn more will probably get there.  I would like to put thongs on everything as you were able to do. 

Reading This Topic