Profile Picture

Usage of GPU

Posted By Wulter 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Wulter
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi!
I've just installed the Iray Render Plugin.
Rendering took a while, so I looked at my task manager and noticed, that the Iray Background Renderer used the CPU nearly 100%, while the GPU (GeForce GTX 1070) was used  0%, somtimes 1 o or 2 %.
But in the hardware settings the GPU is enabled.
Is this normal?
Thanks for your advices!
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1ffa9750-84d0-4382-a71d-eb19.jpghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f93f417d-68d0-4c31-85c4-333a.jpg
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
No, not normal.

I know this sounds lame, but try a reboot.

I've seen "something" get all gummed up after a lot of Iray usage, and it falls back to using the CPU rather than GPU.  I think it's related to some sort of memory leak, either in Iray or the plug-in.  (The plug-in is my prime suspect.)  Anyhoo... a reboot seems to restore proper GPU rendering for me.

Good luck, let me/us know if that helped or not.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I would advice to get a hold of GPU-z
Task manager does not take into the the account the computing factor for some reason (at least in my edition of windows)
I have to get into it deep and enable computing counter, then it would show me the statistics

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1da78703-375d-409d-aa6f-2ddc.jpg

sonic7
sonic7
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Just by way of reference, I have the GTX-1070 and during iRay rendering, both my CPU and GPU go to Maximum ......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please be patient with me ..... I don't always 'get it' the first time 'round - not even the 2nd time! Sad  - yikes! ... 
MSI GT72VR Laptop, i7 7700HQ 4-Core 3.8 GHz 16GB RAM; Nvidia 1070, 8GB Vram iClone-7.93  3DXChange Pipeline 7.81  CC-3 Pipeline 3.44  Live Face  HeadShot  Brekel Pro-Body  Popcorn FX  iRAY  Kinect V2  DaVinci Resolve17  Mixcraft 8.1

Wulter
Wulter
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)Junior Member (238 reputation)

Thank you very much for your answers!
After rebooting the taskmanager showed the GPU usage of character creator correctly.
And I installed GPU-Z and it showed that the GPU was working 100% while rendering with Iray background renderer (while the taskmanager still showed 0%).
Thanks again

(I disabled the CPU usage in the settings of Iray, it doesn't make any difference.
Rendering the standard-image (when opening character creator 3) in HD takes about 1 minute, no matter if CPU is enabled or not.
Using only the CPU (without GPU) takes about 8 minutes)
Edited
6 Years Ago by Wulter

Reading This Topic