Profile Picture

How would I go about applying a picture to a cylinder?

Posted By Data Juggler 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 18 minutes ago
I am trying to create a poker chip from a cylinder that is collapsed down very small as shown below. Is this a good use case for 3D Coat?

Thanks, I tried applying an image as a material texture and that didn't work, or I didn't know how to do it.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ad2169bf-b0a9-4a99-9232-6ae2.png

And I would like to apply this image to both sides:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e25c3f71-77a8-46b8-8276-aed2.png

And for double jeopardy bonus point question, a way to paint the side of the chip similar to one of these chips:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ed9076d8-023e-47f2-b3bd-3850.png

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 1:40 AM
In this case it would be easier just to apply the image directly through iClone with an image editor.

My iClone is tied up right now rendering, but if I remember correctly the cylinder has a straightforward mapping of top, bottom, and side.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.4K reputation)

Any clues as to how I apply the image? I tried just dragging the image like you can do for a plane, but that didn't apply correctly.

PixelDatabase.Net

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
DJ, you have to start digging into the UV maps. Unless you have understanding what UV map is and how to use it for properly shading objects, you would not move ahead of texturing planes by dragging images on to it.

Here is a base iClone cylinder and its UV map opened in Photoshop. Start painting over and saving it as a Base Color (diffuse) map and everything would fall in place.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2101c0fd-7879-4f71-b7ea-5d2f.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by 4u2ges
Delerna
Delerna
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I was going to show you something like what 4U2ges showed when I got home. This is definitely something to get used to if you want to highly control your texturing from iClone.
There is 1 extra thing I am going to add though.
I am guessing that most likely you do not have a 2D program connected to iClone. So clicking the buttons to edit the textures won't work.

You need to goto iClones properties panel and tell it what 2D program you want it to use when you click those buttons
You also need to link it to a folder where you want the temporary files of the textures to be saved

Here is an image displaying where it is
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/649c7834-c691-4621-831a-eb7b.png

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Edited
6 Years Ago by Delerna
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

4U2Ges. Let's start at the beginning, because you seem to assume I understand more about UV Maps than I do (which is absolutely nothing).

Does UV stand for Ultra Violet? 

I did watch a couple videos last night, and they explained U V are like X & Y, but this was for Maya, maybe they are the same with IClone?

But other than that, I don't know what you mean by Paint on it. Should I edit over the same file with the same name?

I even attempted to find this in the manual, but I didn't see anything that explained UV Maps, or maybe I missed it if it is there.
--
And I already had PaintDotNet set as my external 2D Editor, but thank you for your reply. 

PixelDatabase.Net

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
@DataJuggler,

I am resisting my natural urge to write a long explanation for you.  Why?  Becasue I've done it more than once before already, so I'm going to search for my older posts and give you a link or two.  In theory that will be more efficient than writing it all over again from scratch.  Stand by while I search...

Here is one to get you started.
The picture at the bottom of this post will show some pink areas that are very similar to what you see in the screenshot that 4u2ges shared.
https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost346976.aspx

Stay tuned for more...

Man, I really should make a tutorial sometime.  Some of my own typing I'm looking might might actually exist in a different forum.  I know it's explained a thousand ways on the internet already, but I have a way of explaining it that (naturally) makes sense to me.  It would be easier to show that to type all the time, and then all I'd need to so is make a link to the video.

So, why is it called  "UV"?   ---   No, you silly person, it does not stand for Ultra Violet.   Tongue

On a 2D surface, like paper or a computer screen, we have X-Y coordindates.  X=Horizontal, Y=Vertical.
In a 3D world, we have X-Y-Z coordinates for width, height, and depth.

When you want to paint a 3D object, you will eventually have your painting applied to a 2D canvas.  So "texture" files are typicall JPG or PNG files.
To achieve the ability to paint a flat canvase that get's "wrapped" onto a 3D object, think about the sewing patterns used by a tailor or dress maker.  The cloth lays flat on the 2D table, is cut into pieces, and then is sewn together and you put the shirt on your 3D body.

Well, how does the computer know which part of your 2D texture goes onto what part of the 3D body?  That is what the UV map does.  It provides a "map" - a link or cross-reference - between the 3D model and the 2D image.  It is like skinning a bear, laying the bear skin on the floor.  paining on it, and putting the skin back on the bear.

Okay, so why is it called UV?  Simply because "XY" is already used.  Strangely, but honestly, it avoids confusion.  U is horizontal and V is vertical, and a UV point on the texture is then linked to a XYZ position on the model.

That "purple mesh" that 4u2ges showed is the UV map for a cylinder.  It is the cylinder cut into pieces and laid flat.  It is the "dress-makers pattern" for cutting the cloth that could be wrapped onto a soup can.  Again, we call is a "UV map" because it provides the link betwen the 2D textures and the 3D object.

The UV maps for characters are actually quite horrifying, since it is the skin from your character, peeled off, and layed out on a table.  Ugh.

I don't know if that was comprehensible or not.  Let me know.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
6 Years Ago by justaviking
Keith_MPS
Keith_MPS
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
You could also try the built-in UV-type "cylindrical capped".  The choices are at the bottom of the material panel.
Here's a link to it in the iClone 6 manual.  The iClone 7 version doesn't have pictures, but it's the same.
http://manual.reallusion.com/iclone_6/enu/pro_6.0/15_Multiple_Channel_Texture_Mapping/Model_Mapping_method.htm

You'll probably have to align the correct axis and make the image tile twice to get it looking right.  Plus, try the offset settings if the edge stripes don't line up with each other.

- Keith
Edited
6 Years Ago by Keith_MPS
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Of course... NOW I found what I was looking for.  It was in another forum, as I suspected.

https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,24840.msg97195/#msg97195

When I talk about stretchy or rubbery fabric, it sort of explains why people can end up wiht blurry or distored textures on their models.

Like everything in iClone, this can be a very deep subject.  This is the space where "texture artists" live and breath.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thanks for all the replies, and I read part of the other thread.

I think I get it now, when I get off work I will try your suggestions.

And yes you should make a tutorial series; I search YouTube first for a lot of stuff just to see them clicking it.

It is the difference of reading a guitar playing book or watching a guitar playing video. 

PixelDatabase.Net

Reading This Topic