Camera Rotation

Posted By jminbox 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jminbox
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hello,

I've seen some posts vaguely talking about this (going back as far as 9 years ago) but no real solution.

I'm trying to figure out how to rotate (not move) a camera, while looking through it, on it's axes (x, y, or z).  These values can be typed in the Modify panel (Transform -> Move) but cannot seem to be modified with the mouse.  I found that one can hold Ctrl + LeftArrow or Ctrl + RightArrow to rotate the camera on it's z axis but it does it in 3-value increments, requiring manual modification to fine-tune.  There also does not seem to be a corresponding combination to rotate on the x asis.

Of course, one can hit the Pan (x) button and right-click but that rotation is an orbit.  The Orbit (c) button is also an orbit.  If you look at the Transform -> Move values in the Modify panel as you use this approach, you will see that those values are changing (along with the Rotate values); i.e., the camera itself is being moved in 3D-space.  I'm trying to figure out a way to look through the camera and simply rotate, not change the x, y, z coordinates.  I want the camera to be in the same location in 3D space but simply rotate.

This is done easily in Daz and other similar products.  I hope that this is just a lack of knowledge on my part and not a missing capability.  Any education folks could give me would be greatly appreciated.  I'm trying to make a usability decision on iClone for a large project I'm starting.  I would be concerned if this, seemingly basic, capability has been omitted.  I'm hoping that this is simply my need for education.

Thank You in Advance

raxel_67
raxel_67
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.0K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Have you used the transform values for rotate available in the modify tab? With this you can rotate the camera in any axis
animagic
animagic
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
The only way I know how to this is by using a dummy object as an "anchor". So attach the camera to the dummy and then rotate the dummy. I hope this workaround doesn't discourage you from considering iClone...Smile

If there is a better way, I would like to know as well...Unsure

EDIT: raxel and I cross-posted. My solution involves the mouse, as I thought that was the intent.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
6 Years Ago by animagic
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The transform values have no use, really. I was bragging recently to have a LOCAL rotate modification boxes separately from the global. This is where you can perform a true camera roll with the set of values.
But first you need to set OFF the "Auto level" in Edit > Camera menu. After that you'd be able to roll camera with the mouse by Z (that is local).
Now, to actually use a gismo and roll/transform camera, you need to look at the camera from another camera (preview camera comes to mind) and then view the actual camera in a mini-viewport.
Or as was already mentioned link the camera to a small object placed right in front of the lenz, make it dummy so that it does not block the view, lock the camera and then use rotate/transform gismo for that dummy object to operate camera.

Edited
6 Years Ago by 4u2ges
jminbox
jminbox
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)Veteran Member (780 reputation)

Hello,

Yes, I am looking to do this with the mouse similar to the way the Orbit (c) rotate is used.  I am trying to avoid having to go to the Modify panel and manually changing numbers, as this tends to be a slower more tedious method of working.  I find myself having to think more about numbers rather than framing a scene.

I too am hoping someone from Reallusion addresses this post.  As I mentioned, I have seen similar posts going back 9 years, so I am not the first one to raise this issue.  One would think it would be as easy as using the Ctrl or Alt key along with the right-mouse button when the Pan or Orbit tool is used.  This would be similar to Daz and would also be quick/logical.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

jminbox
jminbox
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thank you for your response.

I have tried working with the Auto Level setting.  As you've found, there is still a kludge required to get the desired result.

I do have to say that I'm a bit surprised at the extra effort one seems to have to go through to do something as straight-forward as a camera rotation.  This would seem to be a fundamental capability for any application with cameras (Daz, Muvizu, MovieStorm, etc., etc.).  This is why I was deeply hoping this was an oversight on my part.  

I can't imagine this would be a difficult thing to program into iClone.  It would simply be the same functionality as Orbit but isolated to modifying only the Rotate transform values and omit the Move transforms.

Thank you again for your response.

Kelleytoons
This post has been flagged as an answer
Kelleytoons
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
4u2ges (6/5/2018)

Or as was already mentioned link the camera to a small object placed right in front of the lenz, make it dummy so that it does not block the view, lock the camera and then use rotate/transform gismo for that dummy object to operate camera.

Did the OP try this?  I would think this would be exactly what he needs.

While it may be a bit kludgy, there are a lot of things in iClone that, while workarounds, work effectively enough not to worry about it.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
jminbox
jminbox
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

4u2ges (6/5/2018)

Did the OP try this?  I would think this would be exactly what he needs.

While it may be a bit kludgy, there are a lot of things in iClone that, while workarounds, work effectively enough not to worry about it.

I'm assuming that the dummy object has to be in the line of site of the camera and one manipulates it with the gizmo.

The problem with this approach is that the dummy object needs to be out in front of the camera; therefore it acts like the hand on a clock.  The dummy object is the center point of the clock where the hand is attached and the camera is at the end of the hand, which results in orbiting.  If one puts the camera directly on top of the object in order to nullify this problem...even if one makes the dummy very large...one cannot see the gizmo, so then one is back to manipulating the move transforms in the Modify panel.

I believe the true solution is to have iClones cameras behave like cameras in other applications (Maya, 3DS, C4D, Blender, Unity, Unreal, etc.) and simply have a control for rotation as well as orbit.
justaviking
justaviking
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
jminbox (6/5/2018)
The dummy object is the center point of the clock where the hand is attached and the camera is at the end of the hand, which results in orbiting.  If one puts the camera directly on top of the object in order to nullify this problem...even if one makes the dummy very large...one cannot see the gizmo, so then one is back to manipulating the move transforms in the Modify panel.

I believe the true solution is to have iClones cameras behave like cameras in other applications (Maya, 3DS, C4D, Blender, Unity, Unreal, etc.) and simply have a control for rotation as well as orbit.

The "Mini Viewport" can help with that.
Set the mini viewport to show what the camera you're editing sees.
Then in the primary window, using "Preview Camera," you can position yourself to see the camera - and its gizmo - so you can do the rotations, and you'll see the result in the mini viewport.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

jminbox
jminbox
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thank you, that is a good suggestion (mini viewport).

Reading This Topic