Films that could be made in Iclone 7

Posted By Dr. Nemesis 6 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Dr. Nemesis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I check Youtube almost everyday for new films made in Iclone. I like short films the most, but these are extremely rare. The good ones anyway. Films like Trouble in the Tomb, which was made way back in Iclone 5.
Now we have Iclone 7. We have a great wealth of characters, sets, and props available from many sources, but still it's rare to find a good short made in Iclone.
So while researching what tool/engine to use for my movie, I took a look at Unreal, Unity, etc. What I found is that in the majority of cases, Iclone 7 can make these movies, either to a comparable or better visual quality.
The sad thing is many of these were made long before Iclone 7, which means we're only just catching up. But We're here now and I thought it would be cool to see a bunch of decent or good movies, that could totally be made in IC7.
I've included films made by 1 or a few people, left out stuff like 'Adam' and 'A Boy and his Kite', which took armies of people to make.

Lilly (Trailer)
This is Unreal, though it seems the guy also made a trailer in CryEngine. I think Iclone could get pretty comparable results to this.

Dave - Unreal
Made by 3 students

Craven Marsh - CryEngine
A pretty awesome short, made as a pitch for a feature length film, I believe.

Dystopia - Unreal
One of my favs for the futuristic feel. Done as part of a University project.

Iclone has been capable for a while now, but we so rarely get to see stuff like this made with it.
I'd like to hear people's thoughts on why you think that is.
What other cool shorts could now be made in Iclone 7?

*Editted to embed the videos
Edited
6 Years Ago by Dr. Nemesis
sjonesdc
sjonesdc
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
First that came to my mind is "TIME"....

sjonesdc Hehe

STILL LEARNING!!!

《/^\》
《/^\》
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
sjonesdc (2/8/2018)
First that came to my mind is "TIME"....

I agree, it can be tempting to publish a short film without really focusing on all the details that make it awesome
toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Nice "selection"...
I doubt they could be made in IC7 at least IMHO not in this render quality.
Esp. Craven Marsch and Dystopia...
Thanx for sharing!

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
toystorylab (2/9/2018)
Nice "selection"...
Thanx for sharing!

I disagree with you, it is possible with a bit of elbow grease, and I believe it is possible to do even better.
For one, check this:
ALIEN-The-Message-WIP-Diary

--
guy rabiller | GOETZIWOOD STUDIOS
"N.O.E." (Nations Of Earth) Sci-Fi TV Show, Showrunner.

mtakerkart
mtakerkart
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Just posting some renders test of the 7.2 and seriously I'm not really ashamed of what it gives. I just begin with particles and I'm waiting
the very near enhancement of the PopcornFX 1.1 to start a serious project. GRACE had post some thread that are not accessible today.
Today the thing that will take the most energy to produce is writing a good story and performing with mocap all the characters.
Yes today with Iclone 7 you can achieve very good render. (the video is only 2k with youtube compressor...)

Rogue Anime
Rogue Anime
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.3K reputation)

I was very impressed! ~V~

Val RogueAnanda
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e82de505-c57a-40b9-8cb0-9f87.png

sjonesdc
sjonesdc
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)

toystorylab (2/9/2018)
Nice "selection"...
Thanx for sharing!

toystorylab,
"...not in this render quality."  This statement may be true to some extent; but do we put the "render quality" way above the story???? Don't get me wrong..."watchability" or "render quality" does play an important role, but if the story is not very interesting, no matter how "impressive" the bells and whistles/render quality, no one will be interested in watching the finished product at all (except if the finished product is "advertised" as a showcase for the bells and whistles)!

sjonesdc Hehe

STILL LEARNING!!!

Delerna
Delerna
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
mtakerkart.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I just have to say this

Wow, well done. Been discussing recently how important a good story is in order to make something watchable, but I have watched this 3 times now and I will be watching it again. And I will be showing it off to some people at work to show iClones capabilities. No story (well there is a flow to it) BUT I REALLY ENJOY WATCHING IT.
So now I am wondering..........

One more thing, my wife does card making and she always points out all the things that don't look good and I always say to her...but I didn't notice that and the card looks great.
So seriously, as far as I am concerned, I absolutely agree with you, you have nothing to be
ashamed of on what it gives

Maybe if I specifically look for problems I will find some? but because I just watched it for enjoyment I saw nothing wrong. 

Yes you have shown that iClone, depending on the capabilities of its user, has fine quality rendering and you seem to also have good ability for presenting what it is you want to show 

i7-3770 3.4GHz CPU 16 GB Ram   
GeForce GTX1080 TI 11GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Dr. Nemesis
Dr. Nemesis
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
toystorylab (2/9/2018)

Then that's pretty sad cause Dystopia was made in Unreal 3. You really don't believe Iclone 7 can look better than an Unreal 3 film made 5 years ago?
In my own tests I'm learning that Iclone can look good, but it fights you first.
In Unreal 4 it seems to take much less work and knowledge to get a good looking scene. In Iclone, if you don't know how to light a scene, it's impossible to get a competitive result. In my pic below I have the same model, same textures, same materials on both models, same render settings. The big difference between them is lighting. I then used a LUT to get higher contrast (for the filmic look). On the left I was still learning (and I'm still learning now). I was pretty discouraged. I'm pretty happy with the one on the right but I need to solve all the shadow flickering in the video as she talks (I've already checked the box that's meant to suppress this).
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/99c3a708-0f37-4ed1-b821-82d0.jpg

grabiller (2/9/2018)
it is possible with a bit of elbow grease, and I believe it is possible to do even better.
For one, check this:
ALIEN-The-Message-WIP-Diary

Yes, from the guy who made Trouble in the Tomb, thanks for pointing that out. I agree that his WIP's are a great representation of Iclone's strengths.

sjonesdcdo we put the "render quality" way above the story????

Honestly I think we have a problem with both. I strain to find examples of good story in Iclone films, as well as good visuals. There seems to be the idea in this forum that there's a preoccupation with graphics. A good story is great but then why tell that story with substandard renders when the capability to do better is technically there? 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f8dbeb8d-15e2-4265-9ed9-7af6.jpg

mtakerkart (2/10/2018)
Just posting some renders test of the 7.2 and seriously I'm not really ashamed of what it gives. I just begin with particles and I'm waiting
the very near enhancement of the PopcornFX 1.1 to start a serious project. GRACE had post some thread that are not accessible today.
Today the thing that will take the most energy to produce is writing a good story and performing with mocap all the characters.
Yes today with Iclone 7 you can achieve very good render. (the video is only 2k with youtube compressor...)

Thanks for this, mtakerkart, you have some great examples.

Reading This Topic