Posted By thedirector1974 7 Years Ago
Rated 4.1 stars based on 10 votes.
Author
Idea.png
thedirector1974
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Hi folks,

welcome to my WIP diary for my new iClone 7 movie "ALIEN - The Message".

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/af9dca08-8bb6-442f-a276-629b.jpg

As you may have guessed, this movie will be a bit different from my other movies, cause this one is founded by pure fanship. I really love the original SiFi-shocker "Alien" from 1979. A perfect movie, in my opinion, never reached by any of it's sequels. This year, Ridley Scott released a new Alien movie, called "The Covenant" and this movie was insulting. I couldn't believe it and I asked myself, why is it not possible anymore to make good, decent sifi movies? I asked myself, if I could do this better and more grounded. And so the idea was born to do a fan film, devoted to the original movie from 1979.

WHAT IS THIS THREAD?
In this thread I will post my progress during the production. Pictures, little behind the scenes stories, samples for animation, etc. Everything you could be interested in. Today I will start with the main character and the sets, which are already finished.

WHATS THE STORY?
I don't want to spoil a lot, but ther will be a ship, called "HORIZON" and this ship has landed on the famous planetoid "LV-426". There is a member of the crew, EMILY. And she needs to figure out where the hell is everyone else and what is this lifeform, which is suddendly on board of the HORIZON ...
I know, this is vague, but I can assure you, I created a story, 20th Century Fox could easily make canon, if they want to. Th script is written and it's about 30 pages big, so this movie will be the longest I ever did in iclone.

O.K. Let's introduce you to the main characters of the movie ...

First we have EMILY WATSON ...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2c8647ba-c27e-4f5c-a066-627a.jpg

She is part of the sience team, which was supposed to examine the planteoid LV-426. She is the main charcater of the movie and she will be the one with the most scenes. There is another character, who has only one but big scene in the movie and that's DR. NOLAN ...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/35b45472-dbff-4d29-be80-ba76.jpg

He is the doctor on board of the horizon.

ABOUT THE SETS

When I decided to do this, I really wanted to go for the original set design. I didn't wanted to use some normal "si fi" model sets. Problem was, were could I get proper 3d models of the interior of the ship. There was only one solution to this. Some years ago, SEGA released a game called "Alien Isolation". In there, all the sets and props could be found. But it was a hard way to get them. I will do a seperate video about this stuff. In short - there were some tools to extract the models and the textures from the game and there was another tool to get them in Blender. I have friend, Andreas. I know him since the early scool days and he is really into creating 3D models. I asked him if he could find a way to get those models and he did. Since May 2017 he assembles those models to really great sets and believe me - this was really hard work.

I made a little video to show you the first sets, which are finished and ready for production. It's all rendered in iClone 7, with GI, a lot of spotlights and other things. You will see some flickering here and there, that's because the Global Illumination isn't tweaked in every scene.

That's all for today. I will update this thread as soon as I have news to tell.

Greetings, Direx
illusionLAB
illusionLAB
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Very nice work!  It breaks my heart to see all the alias flickering... surely it's worth rendering the final movie with Blender cycles or similar - obviously more work and time, but your production looks worthy of the extra effort.
Peter Blood
Peter Blood
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
A great set of...sets. Smile Ready for a great story.
I thought everything looked beautiful, illusionLABs' point being well taken. (Is there an easy or laymans way to correct those?)

The only thing I noticed was the "Wet Floor" sign seemed a bit out of place in a futuristic setting. Something computerized with
flashing lights and an audio warning ["Good morning sir or madam, LOOK OUT the floor is 'fracking' wet!!"] or a cute little robot in a maids
costume who warns you in a French accent while cleaning up ["Pardon Monsieur or Madam, LOOK OUT, the floor is fracking wet!"] Well, those didn't work
out so well even with the Battlestar Galactica reference but you get my drift. Tongue

Very much looking forward to the great story to go along with these great sets.

Cool pete

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d9f2ee62-c67b-4c8e-b3cf-4e36.png
http://www.youtube.com/user/peterblood50?feature=mhee
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Really looks excellent. 
My only styling difference would be on the Ketchup bottle and coffee, a touch more transparent to really make them pop as liquidy, but that's just a taste thing, yours looks great the way it is.
Fantastic job assembling this wonderful preview!  
toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Wow, looks very promising...
Nice SETTING w00t

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Wonderful news.  It looks like you're off to a great start on an ambitious project.

Tony beat me to a comment about the ketchup bottle.  It needs to be desaturated some to fit into the rest of the scene, unless you want us to focus on it (like "something" is in it).  I supposed a "futuristic" styling wouldn't hurt, but it's fun to have a little retro "touch of home" tossed in here and there.  It was just too vibrant in my opinion.

It will be fun to see how this unfolds.  Looking forward to seeing more.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Edited
7 Years Ago by justaviking
mark
mark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

It's going to be amazing for sure!!! BigGrinBigGrin

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

BOLPHUNGA
BOLPHUNGA
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
looks great! but the lighting is too bright  for a alien movie,
this is just to show off the sets though?
the alien isolation game has superb design.
very tough to rip stuff from it, monumental work.

if you need assets or pro vfx just ask.

Edited
7 Years Ago by AeMax
hj
hj
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (28.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Das Set sieht beeindruckend aus und das das viel Arbeit war, das kann man sehen.
Hoffentlich können die Animationsmögliochkeiten von iClone deinem Anspruch gerecht werden.Jetzt hast du ja den "Curven Editor" und das "Face-Ware" Plugin als Arbeitsmöglickeit zur Verfügung. Da bin ich wirklich mal auf ein professsionelle Umsetzung gespannt, wo man nicht schnell die typischen iClone-Bewegungen erkennen kann.
Viel Spaß und nicht übermäßig viel Frust bei Umsetzen deiner Ideen und deiner Geschichte.
Es wäre schön, wenn du immer mal ein paar Details deiner Erfahrungen mit iClone bei der Umsetzung eines solchen Werkes posten kannst. Ich schreibe das alles hier in deutsch, weil ich Googe-Übersetzungen hasse und ich auch nicht immer weiss, ob das, was ich meinte, Google auch so übersetzt.

beste Grüße und viel Erfolg und Durchhaltevermögen bei deinem Projekt
Hans Jörgen

Fehler gehören zum Leben.
Was zählt, ist, wie man auf Fehler reagiert
Niki Giovanni
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1a2f83b8-b491-4e74-bf8b-6a98.jpg

thedirector1974
thedirector1974
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)

UPDATE 11/22/2017

Thanx for all your comments. I really appreciate this.

@tony
Yes, the ketchup bottle is little bit too red. This is a prop ripped directly from the game "Alien Isolation". i didn't touched it, so I will look into it to get more desaturated ...

@aeMax
Thanx for your offer. I will get back to you when the time comes. Thanx.

Today is the day of leaving pre-production. I started my first animation, so "shooting" the movie has begun. Let's see what surprises iClone has for me on this journey ...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a75c8433-ea9e-42eb-aa07-ff76.jpg

On this picture you can see, I just started the animation. Nothing fancy to be seen here right now. Let's see, what the new features of iClone 7.1 has to offer.

Until next time ...

Direx

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ae26abdd-f71e-407a-87b8-c364.jpg

Reading This Topic