ALIEN - The Message WIP Diary

Posted By thedirector1974 7 Years Ago
Rated 4.1 stars based on 10 votes.
Author
rampart
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Transitions?
Transitions are necessary?
I got involved with transitions some time back, started studying finished movies and most switch entire scenes instantly no transitions.
Maybe has to do with gamer culture or something, but just thought I would mention.
Your sets are excellent
Thanks for posting it is always nice to see your kind of work even in starting phases

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
thedirector1974 (11/22/2017)
Yes, the ketchup bottle is little bit too red. This is a prop ripped directly from the game "Alien Isolation". i didn't touched it, so I will look into it to get more desaturated ...

You can probably do that directly in iClone.
When you select the "Diffuse" (or Base Material) texture for the bottle, the adjustment iClone below the set of textures should allow you to tone down the color.  It's not elegant, but it'll probably do a fine job considering it will only be 20 seconds of effort.

Thanks for the additional WIP pictures.  Really looking great.  Eagerly looking forward to seeing more.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

thedirector1974
thedirector1974
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)

Last Active: 10 days ago
UPDATE 11/23/2017

Hi there,

yesterday I had quite some time, so I created the firs scene of my movie right away. Nothing fancy, just a "wake up" scene, only two differnt camera angles. Rendering was pretty tough. I don't know why, but my PC needed much more time to render the scene in comparison to the last build of iClone. I am not sure if there is a special thing within the project which causes the performance hit, but I will look into this.
I rendered the second shot during night time. It took my PC about 4h to get this 60s shot done!
After finishing this, I imported those shots into my editing software, to figure out the look of the movie, using some post processing effect tools.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4ab9ce00-e92a-484c-b61d-0b85.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/37f5bd83-e9bd-4ac6-9a90-42a1.jpg

Until next time ...

Direx
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
This is looking really epic! Beautiful work on it.
thedirector1974
thedirector1974
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)

UPDATE 11/27/2017

Hi folks,

I got some spare time and I use it to create the first scenes of the movie. I will use them to convince the actors I need for several roles. I will start the casting within the next week. Sadly the biggest forum for semiprofessional actors (VVA) is down and it doesn't seem to be back online soon. So I have to switch to www.castingcall.club and see how it goes from there.

There are also news from the set section. My friend has sent me some pictures of the current state of the next set he is working on - the cockpit ...
Have a look ...
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f1e20507-90ff-4eae-b3dd-3d87.jpg

and onother one ...
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e711b911-ff07-442c-abee-cc46.jpg

As you can see, this set is extreme detailed and its really hard to put all those models together. There are more than 200 different objects + a lot more lamps and buttons. As you can see, there is a lot of texture work to be done. I think this set will take some time to get it finished.
O.K. I will end this update with another picture fresh out of the movie. Stay tuned for more ...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/baf5b16e-13b9-4123-94d6-f923.jpg

Until next time ...

Direx
BOLPHUNGA
BOLPHUNGA
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)Veteran Member (668 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago

@direx
doing glows differently now,
so they don't flicker, or get muddy at a distance.

basically don't use a glow map
and just set it to self illuminate, then adjust the GI settings on the texture
then the ibl/hdr/tone map will take care of the glows.
also 32 bit images wont hurt if they are glow only texures
the panels and whatever will emit light as well..

try a few tests..
if nothing else, the light fixtures in the set model can light the scenes

Edited
7 Years Ago by AeMax
Pixtim
Pixtim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
WOW ! really, really nice work ! oO !!! a superb project!
Ogier

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0a0894ca-d56b-4356-859c-f08b.jpg

thedirector1974
thedirector1974
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

AeMax (11/27/2017)

@direx
doing glows differently now,
so they don't flicker, or get muddy at a distance.

basically don't use a glow map
and just set it to self illuminate, then adjust the GI settings on the texture
then the ibl/hdr/tone map will take care of the glows.
also 32 bit images wont hurt if they are glow only texures
the panels and whatever will emit light as well..

try a few tests..
if nothing else, the light fixtures in the set model can light the scenes

Hmm. I don't know. I just did a test on that lamps without any glowmap and it looks awful. You know, you can tweak a lot via glow map. That light blue/green tone of the lamps all came from the glow maps. Self illumination is on as well. Its much needed for the GI. But GI doesn't help with everything. I did put under every lamp a spotlight with shadows, facing downwards, to get the leather parts of the wall more visible.
If you have a way to look the lights like they do on that last screenshot without glowmaps, I am happy to know about it.

Direx

P.S. The lights on that screeshot are to bright. This came through color correction (changing gamma values) and will be reduced later ...

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Really appreciate the WIP images.
Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Capemedia
Capemedia
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Film and Music Producer

Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Incredible work keep it up Smile

Score Variations

Capemedia UK Limited's Website

Reading This Topic