The decimation poly gone conundrum.

Posted By TheOldBuffer 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
TheOldBuffer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I've noticed that there are a lot of dazzies getting on the iClone 7 bus of late and not surprising really. Many of us iCloners appreciate the daz3d models and use them in our work, however the big draw back is the high poly count especially the clothing. the daz decimator which at $100 is a bit pants to say the least and doesn't do what it says on the tin most of the time. The other day I tried the Mixamo decimator and WoW. It works great and I cant recommend it enough. The down side is that come August, Adobe are removing that service from Mixamo. There is hope on the horizon though from simplygon.com which has been taken over by Microsoft and is a standalone decimator and remesher which looks really good. As of yet I've not tried it out but its on my todo list for this coming weekend

Homebuilt computer - Windoze 10, INTEL i9 9900 k @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC ULTRA, 16GB 3100 MHz RAM, Asus  Maximus Hero XI motherboard, Sound blaster Z series. iClone6 & 7 Pipeline, Crazytalk 8, Crazytalk Animator 2, Facefilter, Pop video 3, Hitfilm 4Pro, Cubase 8.5 Pro,

Lamias
Lamias
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I am curious as to what you mean concerning the Decimator plugin inside Daz.

I use it practically all the time, and i am able to decimate everything with minimum to no quality loss. Smile

I am using it particularly for clothing and props. How come you aren't satisfied with it?

My YouTube Channel
Phoenix   Wink

toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Lamias (7/6/2017)
I use it practically all the time, and i am able to decimate everything with minimum to no quality loss. Smile
I am using it particularly for clothing and props. How come you aren't satisfied with it?

I bought Daz Decimator last week (was on sales, paid 35 $)...
I have no idea how to work with it, all i try distorts everything, esp. clothing Pinch
Is there a good tutorial video?
Could not find one...

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

theschemer
theschemer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I have Balancer nPro (non-commercial version) and it seems pretty good, although I am no expert.

http://www.atangeo.com/products

http://www.atangeo.com/download

http://www.atangeo.com/buy/nPro
Edited
7 Years Ago by theschemer
ToKoMotion
ToKoMotion
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.8K reputation)

Last Active: 40 minutes ago
Thanks a lot for the cool hint to Simplygon. I was also looking for an alternative to Mixamo's Decimator and this looks very promising. Will definitely give it a try. Thanks againSmile.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/43a4ac7b-bd85-430a-aa3e-e3f7.png    https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9cbb0370-ee1b-4f58-9b3d-6930.png    https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e84e0ec9-aa91-47d0-ae07-d519.png
FIND MORE:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/17a1d227-c563-4ece-a41a-257a.jpg

TheOldBuffer
TheOldBuffer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.7K reputation)

Lamias (7/6/2017)

On some of the items I've tried decimating I get distortions particularly on clothes. I would love to be able to use the daz3d for everything daz because using mixamo loses all the morph data. Not a great problem because the characters i've decimated in mixamo are not for close up. 
Rampa has a solution for weighting but perhaps someone knows of an in depth tutorial ?

Homebuilt computer - Windoze 10, INTEL i9 9900 k @ 5.1 GHz, EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC ULTRA, 16GB 3100 MHz RAM, Asus  Maximus Hero XI motherboard, Sound blaster Z series. iClone6 & 7 Pipeline, Crazytalk 8, Crazytalk Animator 2, Facefilter, Pop video 3, Hitfilm 4Pro, Cubase 8.5 Pro,

TheOldBuffer
TheOldBuffer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

ToKoMotion (7/6/2017)
Thanks a lot for the cool hint to Simplygon. I was also looking for an alternative to Mixamo's Decimator and this looks very promising. Will definitely give it a try. Thanks againSmile.

No worries Toko. Sharing's caring.

but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
toystorylab (7/6/2017)
I have no idea how to work with it, all i try distorts everything, esp. clothing Pinch
Could not find one...

Here's a clear explanation on how all decimators work.
To get great results.... use a mesh will all "Quads."

Daz mesh's looks great, but they are not made of all quads. You are forced to stiop at a certain point.
Keep going = really poor results.
This is why Turbo Squid and others have outrageous prices for certain models.

Example:
Take Daz's greatest looking characters, cloth and props.... give them all quads...
You'd be able to decimate it until your hearts content.
The price will shoot through the roof, because it is now "A High Quality Mesh."
Edited
7 Years Ago by but0fc0ursee
TheOldBuffer
TheOldBuffer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

but0fc0ursee (7/7/2017)
toystorylab (7/6/2017)
Could not find one...

Here's a clear explanation on how all decimators work.
To get great results.... use a mesh will all "Quads."

Daz mesh's looks great, but they are not made of all quads. You are forced to stiop at a certain point....
Keep going = really poor results.
This is why Turbo Squid and others have outrageous prices for certain models.

Example:
Take Daz's greatest looking characters, cloth and props.... give them all quads...
You'd be able to decimate it until your hearts content.
The price will shoot through the roof, because it is "High Quality."

I'm not an experienced daz user so is there an easy button in daz to convert to quads? 

but0fc0ursee
but0fc0ursee
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
TheOldBuffer (7/7/2017)
I'm not an experienced daz user so is there an easy button in daz to convert to quads?

If there was... nobody would complain about poor results.

Also:
It's important to understand the term "All Quads". (iClone uses game technology and (Can) render triangle strips in real time.)
If the Modelr creates his / her mesh using all quads.... the moment it enters 3dxch or iClone... it instantly becomes triangles.
But.... This mesh decimates beautifully.... because the Quads are simply split in half.

The point is: If the Modeler does not create all quads.... "Flip a coin and hope for the best."
Daz high res looks good, but turn on the wireframe and yikes.... not high quality.

I perfer a Reallusion character any day, over a Daz character. Reallusion models in all quads.
Photoshop can them look better than Daz.

Prop, Accessories... "Flip a coin."
Edited
7 Years Ago by but0fc0ursee

Reading This Topic