Profile Picture

Brekel Mocap and other recommended mocap systems (besides Perception Neuron) for iClone

Posted By rjj1234 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Brekel Mocap and other recommended mocap systems (besides Perception...

Author
rjj1234
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Jasper Brekelmans (Brekel.com) offers well-priced mocap sofware tools which to someone like me, just getting started seem well worth trying.
They include mackerels body motion, face and hand tracking, primarily using the Kinect but also the Leap for hand capture and other tools as well. 

The capture of body and face simultaneously will limit the body motion capabilities so separate capture is usually preferable.

How can one most easily and effectively integrate the three separate data streams from body, face and hands to be able to utilize them in iClone?

Any other suggestions  for "affordable" mocap techniques besides Perception Neuron would be welcome.

Thanks!

Robert Jaffe
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Ipisoft is by far the best solution outside of a motion capture suit.  I've tested all the alternatives, including Brekal and Real Illusion's own offering, and Ipisoft is the only one that really works (I have a review posted somewhere on this forum about this, if you care to search -- I go into details about the three major ones and what are up and downsides).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
rjj1234
rjj1234
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Hi, I'll gladly search for your posts on Ipisoft.  thanks for your response!

Robert
rjj1234
rjj1234
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi , Is there a way of easily importing separately captured data streams such as body, face and hands into a single character/figure - either in iClone
or another app which primarily serves as a "mocap data integrator" and then import that into an iClone Timeline?
Thanks!

Robert
hattori kun
hattori kun
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Ipisoft is professional grade mocap. The others are jittery and suffer from occlusion limitation.
rjj1234
rjj1234
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Hattori, thanks for your opinion on this. Yes ipisoft does look quite good! 

Robert
Grimhilda
Grimhilda
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Although I haven't tried any Mocap system, the subject is of interest to me.  A couple of days ago I came across this:
https://www.fastmocap.com/
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Well, the skeptic in me says it's a bit too good to be true, but even if true you should be aware of one (major) caveat -- this ONLY works with XBox 360 Kinect, which they don't sell anymore.  I happen to have one, so no big deal, but I'm guessing that if you don't have one you're SOL (I would not think it would work automagically with the new Kinect, as they use completely different APIs).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Grimhilda
Grimhilda
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Thanks for pointing that out, Kellytoons.
I had the impression that the system was only in early development and liked the look of it - even though the video only showed one 360 degree turn.
The other downside was that, for any software I use, I would need to buy the Pro version.  It would have seemed a better deal to me if they had sold separate versions for different software packages.
By the time something that will be of use to me comes out I will be the perfect actor for advanced old age motions! 
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

After reading their FAQ and thinking about it some more, I'm not so sure that software isn't very, very old (well, at least in the software world -- say two or three years back before XBox One and the new Kinect).  Otherwise it's VERY odd they don't mention the new Kinect in their FAQ at least to say something about it.  They do talk about the difference between the PC version of it and the one that comes with the XBox, but since that itself changed three years ago or so and isn't relevant anymore (nowadays there is only one version of the Kinect sold, not a PC versus an XBox version) that the whole things just strikes me as one of "aborted software that you could still spend money on with zero support" sort of thing.

And *I* can do all your old motions for you <g>.  Even though I do have the ipisoft software, and it works well once it's setup, it's such a PITA to actually setup (getting your two Kinects synced and running your reference stuff, and then the clean up afterwards) that I'm thinking about the Perception at some point down the road (even though I'm on a fixed income and can't really afford it).  The good news is the tools for editing motions keep getting better and better (the new Mixmove stuff is really nice now -- if only they could extend this to all other motions) that perhaps motion capture isn't really needed.

Facial mocap -- don't get me started on that (We REALLY need that ASAP).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic