iClone 6 viewport VS iClone 6 render

Posted By R.Man 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
R.Man
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I'm a bit confused . I'm using iclone6 internal renderer for a movie project.
I'm using cam DOF 
From the viewport the image seems to have nice DOF blur effect (image 2)  when rendered it seems to be
flat (image 1) with a small blur effect that totally destroy the spirit  , does it mean that this viewport is not accurate at all or there is a special setting that i need to do to get what i see? It's hard to work on a software when you spend time setting you shoot in a supposed to be realtime viewport (High quality mode) and when you render it's totally different.How you guys managed to solve it? Thanks
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f9587246-82e0-4642-9d23-086b.pnghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1642b2c8-5aba-4e58-aea1-13bf.png

https://www.ilema.artstation.com
Open for Professional collaboration as a lighting artist.

Edited
8 Years Ago by manran
animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 37 minutes ago
I did some tests and I can confirm that the DOF in the view port is stronger then when rendering, and further that it depends on the render settings. When doing a UHD rendering very little was left of a very strong effect in the view port. Did you notice this with earlier version of iClone 6, as well? I just updated to the latest patch.

In my last project I used the toon renderer with DOF, and I just checked and those scenes render fine.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Also try setting it to "Preview" instead of "Final Render". 

The depth of field is quite limited. It only blurs a little bit outside the focus range, and cannot be made to blur more. It's a very basic facsimile of DOF.
R.Man
R.Man
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Yes i've noticed it in previous version of IC6 but i didn't pay much attention as i didn't have to make serious 
render with it yet. The big problem is that IC6 doesn't have a DOF blur amount setting. Blur amount setting could help
to increase the blur amount so you can get more blurry images in render (very innacurate way of working but could help). 
There are 2 parameters focus distance and range but they are no enough to get pseudo realistic Dof effect.
But but i think it's not only the DOF because i've made an another test and even the AO seems not rendering correctly https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f8a97490-8f59-4802-9101-9a96.pnghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/dccb5177-1b6c-434c-be97-1a45.png

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I reported this as a bug in the (long) iClone 6.3 bug thread and folks there said I was wrong (I wasn't, but I let it pass).

Either the preview should NOT show this amount of DOF or the final render should reflect it, but either way it IS a bug that the two don't even come close.  Because the preview does seem to work much better, it shouldn't be very difficult to fix this issue, but I'm not even sure it's on RL's radar given that some folks insist it's not broken.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
R.Man
R.Man
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

So what user supposed to do? If it's not a bug? I can't even export usable videos out of it. Substance, AO etc etc for nothing?

mark
mark
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I would say DOF in iC6 has a few bugs. I contend, as I have mentioned in the issues thread, that when I select my DOF "point of focus" the image is soft compared to  DOF turned off. Even if I tweak the distance of my focus point it just doesn't look sharp. If I turn off DOF the image regains sharpness....at least on my system.

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

animagic
animagic
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 37 minutes ago
Looking at some previous renders this morning, I guess I never really noticed the difference because in those scenes enough DOF was left to make it usable. I do find the quality of the DOF in IC6 improved over IC5, so I was quite happy with it. But it should obviously not be too different from the view port. So an reentry in the issues thread seems in order.

It may also explain something I recall from Indigo renders that the DOF was always less pronounced compared to the viewport and needed to be adjusted.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I can understand some differences between "Real Time" and "Render."
For example, you can apply anti-aliasing and some other things that would slow down a "real time" playback of your project.

That, I think, would be where the "Render --> Current Frame Preview (F10)" should come in handy.
I don't use it, but it should use your Render settings and give you an accurate representation of what your video (or other format) output will look like.  It would be like "rendering" a image, but it's a shortcut.  And that should be used to judge how things will really look.

P.S.
If it doesn't work that way, I apologize, and in that case it really has close to zero value and should be changed to behave as described above.  (I'm not at my iClone machine, so I can't test it right now.)

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
JV,

It's VERY different -- if examples posted here aren't enough I can show on my machine, but it's most noticable when you have DOF adjusted so the background is blurred almost out (as you would for closeups of characters in most movies).  In those cases it doesn't even come close to what you see onscreen (and in point of fact I would say is unusable as a render -- for a movie I'd actually just composite but because that's a PITA sometimes, particularly with a moving camera, it really should be fixed).

I don't expect it to be an exact match for any render, but I do think it needs to be enough of a match that you can tell what you are going to get.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic