Profile Picture

How to import previous iClone version contents into iClone 6?

Posted By Visconti 10 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

How to import previous iClone version contents into iClone 6?

Author
Snarp Farkle
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
rgathje (12/20/2014)
If they are switching to the rld format, I won't be buying anymore content. It doesn't work on my PC. I click on run and I get the box to open or save. I click on open and it tells me it can't connect to the internet. I have a problem ticket into tech support but haven't gotten a reply. I am connected to the internet or I couldn't get to Reallusions site. I don't have a problem with the download option but I can't do the run option.

Check and update your firewall settings for iC6, that solved some problems for me. I also use TinyWall to help block unwanted malware and such and had to add iC6 to it as well.

The RLD file on the other hand, I had to disable the TinyWall firewall in order for it to function properly. Hope this helps. Smile

Dell XPS 8900, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3408 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s), 16 GB RAM, - 4 GB GeForce GTX 745, NVIDIA compatible.
Acer Aspire V Nitro Laptop,  2.5GHz Intel Core i5-7300HQ processor with 6MB cache,  256GB solid state drive, 16GB Ram,  4 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics.

theschemer
theschemer
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
giarbi (12/20/2014)
rgathje (12/20/2014)
If they are switching to the rld format, I won't be buying anymore content. It doesn't work on my PC. I click on run and I get the box to open or save. I click on open and it tells me it can't connect to the internet. I have a problem ticket into tech support but haven't gotten a reply. I am connected to the internet or I couldn't get to Reallusions site. I don't have a problem with the download option but I can't do the run option.

Check and update your firewall settings for iC6, that solved some problems for me. I also use TinyWall to help block unwanted malware and such and had to add iC6 to it as well.

The RLD file on the other hand, I had to disable the TinyWall firewall in order for it to function properly. Hope this helps. Smile

I added IC6 to my Win 7 firewall and gave it access and still having problems with certain files. I started out with 98 content packs to install and got 60 to download and install with the RLD installer. I didn't count but of the remaining 38 content packs, probably 25 of them are not set up to download with the RLD installer and just bring me to my account page where I can manually download them. The other ones that do not download with the RLD installer fail with an error message and some even get about half way on the first progress bar. I am waiting to find out what to do because if I download and manually install one, it does not get removed from the UNINSTALLED list in the content manager which could become confusing. I think from what I read that when the files that are in that position, they will update them and eventually it will work as planned. At least I hope so. BigGrin
Thanks,
TS

edit: fixed info. Hehe
Edited
10 Years Ago by theschemer
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

I think I'm just going to get into the habit of opening a side window and loading from there.
I still need ic5 to modify stuff and I don't want to eat up hard drive space with doubling my content. The short cut stuff helps but it's still a troublesome experience.

which btw, the quickest way to do that is to simply go to your ic5 folders, right click on the folder, "create shortcut" then move those short cuts to your desktop. imo, that's easier than re-installing or eating up drive space duplicating files. I just wish it were that simple in iclone. I have freelance projects I need to access, this isn't a hobby anymore. Wink

Edited
10 Years Ago by planetstardragon
rampart
rampart
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I wanted to review the migration thing mentioned in the opening thread after a nights sleep and my coffee.

This is not good, is what I thought last night. I wanted to sleep on it.

RL needs to put someone on this and create the proper tools for migration.

I saw the link to some third party software, and there is no way I should be compelled to work through his issues as well.

Reallusion step up, and fix this ASAP. This is your problem RL. We all know, the reason for the installer is to preserve the integrity of your applications and content from software pirates by using a proprietary installer software. You have your installer and you have control of content we have purchased, now you need to fix this!

This is not good Sick

It will be tough enough learning the new GUI and other items, coupled with access to content items and it is a bugger bear.

THis is not good Sick

I have approximately 80 GB of RL and Marketplace content files separated by folders and folders inside folders on previously used HDD.

THis is not good Sick

Just not going to deal with this now. I'm exasperated enough...I will find something else to do besides frustrate myself trying to fix something that should have been taken care of in the new software.

I am pleased with the IC6 application.

Edited
10 Years Ago by rampart
animagic
animagic
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
It is understandable people do not want to duplicate their content. In another thread I explained how you could use symbolic links to have your previous content show up without copying. There is a few things to be aware of:
  • IC6 may replace an earlier generation file with a converted one that is suitable for IC6. You will then no longer be able to load that file in the version of iClone it came from in some cases. So it is prudent to make a backup of your content, just in case.
  • IC6 does not recognize VNS files, so they will not show up in the content manager and need to be converted first to iProp, iAvatar, etc. Just saving the file in iClone 5 will do that.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

yep, that's why I'm opting to just use windows itself for the library ....it will prevent me from accidentally overwriting the old file, and scattered ic6 files. Plus it's just easier to navigate.

The shortcuts work great ...but still hard to navigate since the folders are on the right pane.

what i use to do was simply merge the old content to the new directory, but since 3dx5 doesn't read ic6 - i still need ic5.

It's just easier getting into the habit of using the windows system and becoming less dependent on the internal software system.

rampart
rampart
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (14.2K reputation)

animagic (12/20/2014)
It is understandable people do not want to duplicate their content. In another thread I explained how you could use symbolic links to have your previous content show up without copying. There is a few things to be aware of:
  • IC6 may replace an earlier generation file with a converted one that is suitable for IC6. You will then no longer be able to load that file in the versionof iClone it came from in some cases. So it is prudent to make a backup of your content, just in case.
  • IC6 does not recognize VNS files, so they will not show up in the content manager and need to be converted first to iProp, iAvatar, etc. Just saving the file in iClone 5 will do that.

I appreciate your response.

This is a RL problem. Waiting on users to fix this without the information available within the installer and/or program code will be workarounds that will cause problems for many users.

Someone at RL who works with code needs to develop a batch file to do this.

RobertoColombo
RobertoColombo
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (10.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
What a nightmare XMAS for RL tech support and development teams...
The more I read the IC6 posts in the Forum and the more problems come out...
Quite worried now: I haven't installed IC6 yet because I will do on the new PC, coming in 1 week... what should I expect ?
With a bit of cynicism, I wish that RL can spend enough time to fix most of the troubles during XMAS vacation... sorry for them, but after all, business is business: they took the "risk" to launch IC6 just before XMAS, they probably knew that problems would have to be faced during XMAS.

My PC:
OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-9700 3.6GHz / MB: ASUS ROG Strix Z390  RAM: 32GB DDR4 2.6GHz / HD: 2TB+3TB  /  
SSD: 2x512GB Samsung 860 EVO + 1x2TB Samsung
VB: Palit GTX2080 TI GamingPro 11GB / AB: embedded in the MB and VB (audio from the MOTU M4 I/F) / DirectX: 12

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

it's actually not so bad, growing pains ....it's to be expected when you take such a large jump in technology.

but I agree, I do hope the team at RL does get some rest for the holidays, I'm quite sure they have been going hard at this for a while now - and as one game developer I know says ....the job isn't done on release, quite the contrary, it's just the beginning! heh Smile

maybe if they can focus on the things that only they can fix, the forum vets can help cover them on Q&A's while they take a break.

Edited
10 Years Ago by planetstardragon
rampart
rampart
Posted 10 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

RobertoColombo (12/20/2014)
What a nightmare XMAS for RL tech support and development teams...
The more I read the IC6 posts in the Forum and the more problems come out...
Quite worried now: I haven't installed IC6 yet because I will do on the new PC, coming in 1 week... what should I expect ?
With a bit of cynicism, I wish that RL can spend enough time to fix most of the troubles during XMAS vacation... sorry for them, but after all, business is business: they took the "risk" to launch IC6 just before XMAS, they probably knew that problems would have to be faced during XMAS.

I like most everyone else is very glad to get it released. I can mess with it, learn the interface and such. Hopefully, RL will get with it and fix the anomalies and shortfalls in the application throughout the next month.

I'm not going to get angry or get worked up over it.

Afterall, I am sure from all I've read RL had to know there were problems. I think it is probably good they released and users can provide feedback to enable their programmers to get it right.

It won't be a nightmare as long as RL programmers take their time, carefully deal with the issues and incrementally fix stuff. Most iclone users will go for that.

We know it Ain't right, and we know who has to fix it...it Ain't us

What I would hope is RL will open a thread where we can go and harvest the fixes. It is tough hanging about the forums in expectation of reading about corrected issues we are experiencing.

Edited
10 Years Ago by rampart

Reading This Topic