How to import previous iClone version contents into iClone 6?

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic210581.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Visconti - 10 Years Ago
There are 4 ways that you can import previous iClone version contents into iClone 6.
Check out how it works below.
http://faq.reallusion.com/index.php?action=article&cat_id=011001007002&id=716&lang==

In method 4, Reallusion introduces a new pilot Content Downloader for all content lovers. By adopting the new universal file format (.rld/.rlcontent), you may now get any content whether from the Content Store or the Marketplace. We keep your purchased content online to let you be able to check and manage them anytime. With the Instant Content update feature in the near future, you will receive instant notifications whenever your purchased contents have been officially updated; allowing you to always enjoy the latest content on time!

This method is still in Beta test, if this method can't work in your case, please revert to other methods.
If you can't see any content in this folder, please register your iClone 6 serial number in your member page or log in your member info inside iClone 6.
So, the order history of the content packs will be recognized to display your purchased items.

By animagic - 10 Years Ago
So when and how does the Not Installed folder get populated? I have a lot of IC5 content, but there is nothing in the Not Installed folder.
By theschemer - 10 Years Ago
My Not Installed folder is populated. Problem I found is that when I installed the "12 UtilityVehicles" that does not have the RLD downloader, and I download and install it by checking the IClone 6 box, it remains in the "Not Installed" list in the content manager even after restarting IClone 6.
TS
Motion Montage Volume 2
Network Error: Download Failed. (Error Code:202)
Please check your internet connection and try again.

Retry Close

This is persistent and won't download while others do.
TS
I see where the items with VNS files do not get properly copied into IC6 when I view the logs, of which I save every one for future reference. Too bad the logs are not named to reflect the content name of the pack but I guess I can do that later. The packs that do not get properly installed even when they have the RLD content installer working, do not get removed from the content manager Not Installed List. That is good. Wink
TS
By kwistufa - 10 Years Ago
I'm having issues too....
I have download & installed stuff from my Marketplace Inventory, and also Member Page. 'Some' of the Props/Avatars etc show up in I6, some show up in the 'Not installed' (& won't install) though I download & installed them y'day...(??)
Others show the Folder but when you Double click on the Folder, ie: 'Walk' 'run'.. There is Nothing in the folder.... (?)
The Majority of the stuff in the recent 'Black Friday' deal won't run in my I6. Sad

In other matters, I love the new look & feel.
By Tok39Larraby - 10 Years Ago
Really!?!

I've just downloaded and installed the much anticipated IC6 opened it up and want to get busy and play with my existing content to see 'the differences' ... and I'm immediately disappointed.

I have a very large library and I am seeing a chunk of it appear in the not-installed window....

and the best you can do is advise me to either re-download and install all the content semi-manually or, as a kind of after-thought, take a 'non-recommended' path of cutting and pasting between my iclone 5, directory structure into the iclone 6 directory structure?

.. and yes, I did see the link to a third party util. ... but really?

Granted, I can understand the advice to NOT just pick up the root of your IC5 directory and copy it in... but I would have thought that an interactive content migration tool (that operates directly on your local content) wouldn't have been too much of a distraction, or effort, to your main game with this product launch. It would have saved, what I imagine must be the collective grumble (nay rumble), your IC5 user-base must surely be making at the moment.

Oh my God! ... This is going to take me hours!

Grumble grumble grumble...

(and great! I like the idea of moving over to a Daz style downloader linked to an inventory on both marketplace and RA store .. Really, I do!)

EDIT:

Ok.. Perhaps a little quick on the trigger with that one. ... I'm used to poser and being able to point to different runtime libraries at a whim.

... One ginormous cut'n'past job currently running at the moment. ... Not sure what stuff transferred won't work when all is said and done (and therefore forever likely to hog disk for the ever after) .. but I'm hitting 'no' when prompted to 'overcopy' .. and praying like hell for the best when my IC5 library is moved into place.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.. I've been looking forward to IC's debut for sooooo very long.

... Right now I feel like a kid that's been told he cannot go out to play until he's put away all his (old) toys!
By Snarp Farkle - 10 Years Ago
theschemer (12/19/2014)
Motion Montage Volume 2

Retry Close

TS

I had a simular problem and found that my firewall needed updated for iC6. Crazy
By rampart - 10 Years Ago
RL needs to build a batch tool for migration.
By rgathje - 10 Years Ago
If they are switching to the rld format, I won't be buying anymore content. It doesn't work on my PC. I click on run and I get the box to open or save. I click on open and it tells me it can't connect to the internet. I have a problem ticket into tech support but haven't gotten a reply. I am connected to the internet or I couldn't get to Reallusions site. I don't have a problem with the download option but I can't do the run option.
By Snarp Farkle - 10 Years Ago
rgathje (12/20/2014)
If they are switching to the rld format, I won't be buying anymore content. It doesn't work on my PC. I click on run and I get the box to open or save. I click on open and it tells me it can't connect to the internet. I have a problem ticket into tech support but haven't gotten a reply. I am connected to the internet or I couldn't get to Reallusions site. I don't have a problem with the download option but I can't do the run option.

Check and update your firewall settings for iC6, that solved some problems for me. I also use TinyWall to help block unwanted malware and such and had to add iC6 to it as well.

The RLD file on the other hand, I had to disable the TinyWall firewall in order for it to function properly. Hope this helps. Smile
giarbi (12/20/2014)
rgathje (12/20/2014)

Check and update your firewall settings for iC6, that solved some problems for me. I also use TinyWall to help block unwanted malware and such and had to add iC6 to it as well.

The RLD file on the other hand, I had to disable the TinyWall firewall in order for it to function properly. Hope this helps. Smile

I added IC6 to my Win 7 firewall and gave it access and still having problems with certain files. I started out with 98 content packs to install and got 60 to download and install with the RLD installer. I didn't count but of the remaining 38 content packs, probably 25 of them are not set up to download with the RLD installer and just bring me to my account page where I can manually download them. The other ones that do not download with the RLD installer fail with an error message and some even get about half way on the first progress bar. I am waiting to find out what to do because if I download and manually install one, it does not get removed from the UNINSTALLED list in the content manager which could become confusing. I think from what I read that when the files that are in that position, they will update them and eventually it will work as planned. At least I hope so. BigGrin
Thanks,
TS

edit: fixed info. Hehe
By planetstardragon - 10 Years Ago
I think I'm just going to get into the habit of opening a side window and loading from there.
I still need ic5 to modify stuff and I don't want to eat up hard drive space with doubling my content. The short cut stuff helps but it's still a troublesome experience.

which btw, the quickest way to do that is to simply go to your ic5 folders, right click on the folder, "create shortcut" then move those short cuts to your desktop. imo, that's easier than re-installing or eating up drive space duplicating files. I just wish it were that simple in iclone. I have freelance projects I need to access, this isn't a hobby anymore. Wink
I wanted to review the migration thing mentioned in the opening thread after a nights sleep and my coffee.

This is not good, is what I thought last night. I wanted to sleep on it.

RL needs to put someone on this and create the proper tools for migration.

I saw the link to some third party software, and there is no way I should be compelled to work through his issues as well.

Reallusion step up, and fix this ASAP. This is your problem RL. We all know, the reason for the installer is to preserve the integrity of your applications and content from software pirates by using a proprietary installer software. You have your installer and you have control of content we have purchased, now you need to fix this!

This is not good Sick

It will be tough enough learning the new GUI and other items, coupled with access to content items and it is a bugger bear.

THis is not good Sick

I have approximately 80 GB of RL and Marketplace content files separated by folders and folders inside folders on previously used HDD.

THis is not good Sick

Just not going to deal with this now. I'm exasperated enough...I will find something else to do besides frustrate myself trying to fix something that should have been taken care of in the new software.

I am pleased with the IC6 application.
It is understandable people do not want to duplicate their content. In another thread I explained how you could use symbolic links to have your previous content show up without copying. There is a few things to be aware of:
  • IC6 may replace an earlier generation file with a converted one that is suitable for IC6. You will then no longer be able to load that file in the version of iClone it came from in some cases. So it is prudent to make a backup of your content, just in case.
  • IC6 does not recognize VNS files, so they will not show up in the content manager and need to be converted first to iProp, iAvatar, etc. Just saving the file in iClone 5 will do that.
yep, that's why I'm opting to just use windows itself for the library ....it will prevent me from accidentally overwriting the old file, and scattered ic6 files. Plus it's just easier to navigate.

The shortcuts work great ...but still hard to navigate since the folders are on the right pane.

what i use to do was simply merge the old content to the new directory, but since 3dx5 doesn't read ic6 - i still need ic5.

It's just easier getting into the habit of using the windows system and becoming less dependent on the internal software system.
animagic (12/20/2014)
It is understandable people do not want to duplicate their content. In another thread I explained how you could use symbolic links to have your previous content show up without copying. There is a few things to be aware of:
  • IC6 may replace an earlier generation file with a converted one that is suitable for IC6. You will then no longer be able to load that file in the versionof iClone it came from in some cases. So it is prudent to make a backup of your content, just in case.
  • IC6 does not recognize VNS files, so they will not show up in the content manager and need to be converted first to iProp, iAvatar, etc. Just saving the file in iClone 5 will do that.

I appreciate your response.

This is a RL problem. Waiting on users to fix this without the information available within the installer and/or program code will be workarounds that will cause problems for many users.

Someone at RL who works with code needs to develop a batch file to do this.

By RobertoColombo - 10 Years Ago
What a nightmare XMAS for RL tech support and development teams...
The more I read the IC6 posts in the Forum and the more problems come out...
Quite worried now: I haven't installed IC6 yet because I will do on the new PC, coming in 1 week... what should I expect ?
With a bit of cynicism, I wish that RL can spend enough time to fix most of the troubles during XMAS vacation... sorry for them, but after all, business is business: they took the "risk" to launch IC6 just before XMAS, they probably knew that problems would have to be faced during XMAS.

it's actually not so bad, growing pains ....it's to be expected when you take such a large jump in technology.

but I agree, I do hope the team at RL does get some rest for the holidays, I'm quite sure they have been going hard at this for a while now - and as one game developer I know says ....the job isn't done on release, quite the contrary, it's just the beginning! heh Smile

maybe if they can focus on the things that only they can fix, the forum vets can help cover them on Q&A's while they take a break.
RobertoColombo (12/20/2014)
What a nightmare XMAS for RL tech support and development teams...
The more I read the IC6 posts in the Forum and the more problems come out...
Quite worried now: I haven't installed IC6 yet because I will do on the new PC, coming in 1 week... what should I expect ?
With a bit of cynicism, I wish that RL can spend enough time to fix most of the troubles during XMAS vacation... sorry for them, but after all, business is business: they took the "risk" to launch IC6 just before XMAS, they probably knew that problems would have to be faced during XMAS.

I like most everyone else is very glad to get it released. I can mess with it, learn the interface and such. Hopefully, RL will get with it and fix the anomalies and shortfalls in the application throughout the next month.

I'm not going to get angry or get worked up over it.

Afterall, I am sure from all I've read RL had to know there were problems. I think it is probably good they released and users can provide feedback to enable their programmers to get it right.

It won't be a nightmare as long as RL programmers take their time, carefully deal with the issues and incrementally fix stuff. Most iclone users will go for that.

We know it Ain't right, and we know who has to fix it...it Ain't us

What I would hope is RL will open a thread where we can go and harvest the fixes. It is tough hanging about the forums in expectation of reading about corrected issues we are experiencing.
Robert, first of all congratulations on your new system! I have one planned, but that's what it is: planned. I think you will have no problem at all.

Having some experience with iClone 6 before it was released, I can say that the final release installed quite smoothly for me. I don't know if you have Indigo, because in that case there are a few extra steps.

The big advantage of having a fresh new system is that it is not all cluttered with things that cause incompatibilities.

My iClone 6 is fully functional, but I just found out that the new Sky tool with Substance slows it down to a crawl...

By charleshoover885 - 10 Years Ago
I feel the same way. If they convert to the autoinstaller I will not purchase any more content.

I have the same problem.

I have purchased, downloaded, and installed tons of content using the conventional "download" option. The autoinstaller fails every time by not being able to connect.

Charles
it could simply be their servers getting slammed with downloads at the moment.
By jann - 10 Years Ago
Just installed "Total Plants - Biosphere Collection" in iClone6 (using Content Downloader). Seems that i only got "broadleaves" and everything else missing?? Ermm

How can i get rest of the plants??
animagic (12/20/2014)
Robert, first of all congratulations on your new system! I have one planned, but that's what it is: planned. I think you will have no problem at all.

Having some experience with iClone 6 before it was released, I can say that the final release installed quite smoothly for me. I don't know if you have Indigo, because in that case there are a few extra steps.

The big advantage of having a fresh new system is that it is not all cluttered with things that cause incompatibilities.

My iClone 6 is fully functional, but I just found out that the new Sky tool with Substance slows it down to a crawl...

Hi Job (I guess that's your name, right ? I read some answers to you using it),

thanks: the PC has been also planned for long time... for 1 year I would say... IC6 was the final push to go and buy it! ...probably supported by the fact that I was confirmed to play also for 2015 in the hotel where I played this year which means extra-money) and that I was able to sell some music instruments that I do not use any more.
But still the negotiation with the wife was delicate... I had to plan a good strategy to let her digest this expense BigGrin
I also got the Indigo plug in and I read (and saved) your useful answer showing the sequence of steps for a clean installation.
I feel RL often miss this point: to give the right procedure to install things.... Ermm

The fact that you say that IC6 is running smoothly are surely great news.
I really hope I can say the same. Wink

Anyway, I will get the "beast" and install IC6 + everything else (which really means "everything"... a lot of SW) after XMAS.
Till then, I wish you a Merry XMAS and a lot of fun with IC6.

Roberto
By jann - 10 Years Ago
Content Downloader installed "City Elements - Suburban Streets Vol.1" twice! This is quite annoying. How can i get rid of all the dobbles?
By jann - 10 Years Ago
theschemer (12/19/2014)
Motion Montage Volume 2

Retry Close

TS

I have the same issue.

Most of the other content packs are loading/installing without problems, but Motion Montage 2 gives an error message.

What to do?
By jann - 10 Years Ago
jann (12/21/2014)
theschemer (12/19/2014)
Motion Montage Volume 2

Retry Close

TS

I have the same issue.

Most of the other content packs are loading/installing without problems, but Motion Montage 2 gives an error message.

What to do?

Urban Eyewear Volume 1 gives the same error message! Angry
By AverageJoe - 10 Years Ago
I used this new download thingamajobbie to download Toon Maker and Toon Maker 2, but am I correct there's no way to download and install the the plugin used to control these toon characters via this new download feature?
By redrubyslippers - 10 Years Ago
Perhaps this is why rl recommended that we keep ic5 installed and run the two together...I say for the majority RL what have you done to us. The software clearly isnt ready in its fullest sense with so many people having problems I see planetstardragon saying wait for patches,,,, christ sake man it should run fairly well without those from the off ,yes for some it runs, no backwards compatability for early content,crashes a lot under load, peoples expectations of indigo far greater than it can easily do,some are defending it like planetardragon,some are being quiet like warlord and swoopie ,bet the backroom boys at rl are worried right now.. Make or break.maybe ,it's close to Christmas so things will grind to a halt for support ...merry Christmas icloners RL managed to sell you a bit of a TURKEY ... Me, I got it to run eventually but I'm not happy either.. I truly think I've just wasted my money ,its like Christmas day and you open the toy you always wanted , only to find its broken and they have run out of them at the store...sorry if you don't like this but I'm entitled to my two cents worth.and this is what I feel
By JimmyB7 - 10 Years Ago
Dungeon Quest same error. Crying
By Peter (RL) - 10 Years Ago
Thank you for all the feedback. I can assure you we are tracking the issues being reported.

Do remember that the FAQ page below givesalternative options for installing content packs and for some very old packs this will likely be required, at least for now.

http://faq.reallusion.com/index.php?action=article&cat_id=011001007002&id=716&lang=

For connection problems, please do check that your security software is not blocking access to our servers or you are using a proxy connection. These are the two most common reasons for this problem. If you are using a proxy please try to bypass this when downloading.

And finally do remember you cancontact our Technical Support department using the link below.When you do thiswe will log and track the issues you are having and keep you informed on a one to one basis.

http://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/User/QForm.aspx

Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Peter (RL) (12/22/2014)
Thank you for all the feedback. I can assure you we are tracking the issues being reported.

Do remember that the FAQ page below givesalternative options for installing content packs and for some very old packs this will likely be required, at least for now.

http://faq.reallusion.com/index.php?action=article&cat_id=011001007002&id=715&lang

For connection problems, please do check that your security software is not blocking access to our servers or you are using a proxy connection. These are the two most common reasons for this problem. If you are using a proxy please try to bypass this when downloading.

And finally do remember you cancontact our Technical Support department using the link below.When you do thiswe will log and track the issues you are having and keep you informed on a one to one basis.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Peter,
Most of the files download and install with the RLD and only a handful do not. I guess they may be coming from a different server at RL? The other issue is if we get the other packs copied or otherwise installed, they will remain in out "NOT INSTALLED" section in the content manager and be totally confusing for people like me that have 98 content packages and managed to get 60 installed. Wink
Thanks,
TS
By dwacon - 10 Years Ago
I click on run and I get the box to open or save. I click on open and it tells me it can't connect to the internet.

I have not yet checked to see how much (if any) of my v5 stuff can be seen in v6. I am simply trying to install the Total Plants 2 - Botanical World that I purchased. Disappointed I can’t download it for installation. I get the Download Error Code 301 and have to repeatedly tap Retry to get the installation to creep forward.

I understand this is a new release and hope that they get this resolved quickly!
By wires - 10 Years Ago
I asked a question regarding my inability to download my purchases a few days ago in this post, still waiting for an answer.
I simply have too much iClone 5 and earlier content to make the new reinstall method feasible. Downloading everything again would not be very practical... And I have all the install files already.

It would be nice if the Not Installed area would not simply list your on-line inventory, but would actually check what you have already installed and update itself accordingly.

I have mixed feelings about content managers. My experiences with Poser and DAZ Studio are not that positive, so I hope that the Old-School/Traditional method will still be available for us oldies...

By dwacon - 10 Years Ago
I have mixed feelings about content managers. My experiences with Poser and DAZ Studio are not that positive, so I hope that the Old-School/Traditional method will still be available for us oldies...

I have run DAZ installers only to find the content was not there. Crying

Well, this is 6.0... so I am sure Reallusion will make incremental releases a bit better for us veterans with tons of content.

Right? Unsure
By Peter (RL) - 10 Years Ago
We have updated our FAQ page with some important changes. Please click the link below if you are still having problems getting your content into iClone 6. Thanks.

http://faq.reallusion.com/index.php?action=article&cat_id=011001007002&id=716&lang=

By Magical Kingdom - 10 Years Ago
Hi all,

All of these methods indicate having 2 identical items in 2 separate content folders (iclone 5 and iClone 6). This will take up double of the space on the hard drive.

Surely, Reallusion could think of something more sensible and economical like :

1. creating virtual folders in iclone 6 pointing to the contents of iClone 5's folders.
2. create a windows shortcut icon in iClone 6 template folder and can be read from iClone 6 Content Library UI. 

Please pass on the ideas to the development team.  Thank you and have a merry Christmas BigGrin

Charles

@taoistimmortal

there is another technique that you can use that is not widely known.

Go to your iclone 5 folders, right click on the folders you wish to be seen in ic6 - and create a shortcut ....copy that shortcut and place it in the appropriate ic6 folder -

example - go to ic5 avatar folder , make a shortcut.....copy and paste it in the ic6 avatar folder.

after that...the ic5 shortcut will appear as a folder in the content panel in ic6 .

this tip courtesy of Vit3D Smile

Cheers and Happy Holidays ☃
Peter (RL) (12/23/2014)
We have updated our FAQ page with some important changes. Please click the link below if you are still having problems getting your content into iClone 6. Thanks.

Peter, I appreciate the link to the FAQ page.

It would be excellent if you would - Create one sticky annoncement thread you can bring us up to speed each day on fixes, patches, etc., one thread only. Lock the thread and allow no responses. This way it won't get distorted by thank you, other condolence messages. Pure and simple a daily fixes, and patches thread only. This way we can get direct information from you and RL only, without having to read whines, complaints, or other discussions.

If members want to respond let them start a thread or something.

If I had not previously posted on this thread I wouldn't have read about the updated FAQ.

Thanks,

Hi Peter,

can you add some guidelines to cover also the following scenario:

IC5 Pro + Contents on PC "A" => IC5 + IC6 Pro + Contents on PC "B"

In simple words: I bought a new PC and I wish to install on it IC5 & IC + all the owned content.
Not sure if the FAQ you mention covers this scenario, because here we also have the "old PC to new PC" variable to be taken into consideration.
I feel I won't be the only one moving to a new PC for IC6, so a detailed procedure would be quite handful.

Thanks in advance for the help
Cheers

Roberto
This is from the previously mentioned FAQ

==============================

There are several methods available to access those previous iClone version contents in iClone 6: -

Method#1 (Traditional Method) - Copy Previous Content to iClone 6 Folders
Manually copy all contents from iClone previous version to iClone 6 in correspondence folder location. Please DO NOT replace the existing folder and files with the same name as this is to avoid any version mismatch.Only copy the specified contents that you wish to use, instead of copy the entire root folder. May we suggest using a file copying utility like: http://www.tgrmn.com/.

From iClone5: -
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\Template\iClone 5 Template\iClone Template\
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\Custom\iClone 5 Custom

To iClone6: -
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\Template\iClone 6 Template\iClone Template
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\Custom\iClone 6 Custom

Since these digitally protected contents were not installed using their original installers, or downloaded from BackStage, they need to be re-verified for use in iClone 6.

Please goto main menu, "Help" -> "Content 1-Click Verification", this will help you verify all your templates and custom contents in a single go.
After clicking "Content 1-Click Verification", a confirmation dialog will pop up. Read the information carefully and click on "OK" to begin the verification process.

==========================================

Again, I repeat this quotation... what does

Please DO NOT replace the existing folder and files with the same name as this is to avoid any version mismatch.

"Same name as this is to avoid" - What does "this" mean?

Only copy the specified contents that you wish to use, instead of copy the entire root folder. May we suggest using a file copying utility like: http://www.tgrmn.com/.

============================

How do you convert vns files in iclone 5?

IClone 6 doesn't appear to recognize vns files

I tried Method#4 mentioned in the FAQ for migrating files. It will take days to do this. You have to sit and watch the downloading, and installling because you have prompts between actions. You feel like a slave to a stupid machine as you sit there waiting on the computer to finish a procedure. The installer file is the same name for every file, so you have not choices for speeding up the process. I can invision days of waiting and frustration using this method.
This is dark ages...procedure, maybe if you had one or a couple of files it would be acceptable.

I forgot to mention. The installer will just stop responding at various times. Also, I get error messages when using it. The installer thingy has always been a pain.

Why can't we just have an archived file download and put the files where we want them?

I realize it's mostly about protecting content from piracy, but there has got to be a better way to do this.

Straight talk - IMO, The migration of files from IC5 to IC6 is barely workable.

I am hoping some other users will come up with some sensible workarounds. I don't have much confidence RL will.

RL could have converted all those old vns files to the newer files long ago, or at least had enough respect for buyers of the content not to sell it. As it is, I've bought a bunch of content over the past year that has vns files in it. Now the vns files are my problem, since IC6 can't access them. RL should make revisions of those old content packs and put them on their server. Then have a thread on the forums that tells owners of those content items to update their files. SImple process and I doubt anyone would mind having to update their files.

Anyway, I doubt I will be able to use the IC6 for quite a while. I have too much to do during the week to my spend days doing IC5 to IC6 migrations.

Forgot to mention... when you use the method#4 with the installer the server is downloading at extremely slow speeds. Too bad we can't use the installer with previously downloaded files. I downloaded all the files in my RL orders to keep a respository on my computer.

I have used the IC6 abit, and I think RL has done a terrific job with it.
By wires - 10 Years Ago
rampart (12/25/2014)

How do you convert vns files in iclone 5?

IClone 6 doesn't appear to recognize vns files

Open the VNS file and then click on the + sign in the Scene Manager to add the asset to your custom folder, you can then copy the asset over to the corresponding custom folder in iClone 6.

A quicker method that removes the copy and paste mentioned above is to open the VNS assets in 3DXchange and then Export then directly to iClone 6.

From what I can tell. You have to load each vns file individually into 3dxchange then remove all animations, then export. To export you have to identify the folder and the file name individually as well. This is a lot of work when I have hundreds of these vns files to deal with. Reallusion should not have quit using the vns files until they had a migration fix available to us.

Reallusion should make the conversion changes to all content item vns files at their server, then on our orders page we can download and install the converted packages. Yes, that is work too, but not near as much. Seriously, this would have been work for RL at the server, but once done it would save everyone alot of time.

Anyone buying or refreshing content items should always be able to access the latest revisions of the respective files.

Another option - RL could provide some conversion tool for us to do this that doesn't require alot of extra work.

I spent all day yesterday on this migration probelm, and I am not even close to finished.

I have archived RL content item files 90+GB. Note I said archived files.
I'm up to my ears in alligators and I've not even started to look at other issues.

Thank you for responding
This posting needs answers. The FAQ is unclear

https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost212733.aspx

There are several methods available to access those previous iClone version contents in iClone 6: -

Method#1 (Traditional Method) - Copy Previous Content to iClone 6 Folders
Manually copy all contents from iClone previous version to iClone 6 in correspondence folder location. Please DO NOT replace the existing folder and files with the same name as this is to avoid any version mismatch.Only copy the specified contents that you wish to use, instead of copy the entire root folder. May we suggest using a file copying utility like: http://www.tgrmn.com/.

From iClone5: -
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\Template\iClone 5 Template\iClone Template\
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\Custom\iClone 5 Custom

To iClone6: -
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\Template\iClone 6 Template\iClone Template
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\Custom\iClone 6 Custom

Since these digitally protected contents were not installed using their original installers, or downloaded from BackStage, they need to be re-verified for use in iClone 6.

Please goto main menu, "Help" -> "Content 1-Click Verification", this will help you verify all your templates and custom contents in a single go.
After clicking "Content 1-Click Verification", a confirmation dialog will pop up. Read the information carefully and click on "OK" to begin the verification process.

==========================================

Again, I repeat this quotation... what does

Please DO NOT replace the existing folder and files with the same name as this is to avoid any version mismatch.

"Same name as this is to avoid" - What does "this" mean?

By bigh43 - 10 Years Ago

Retry Close

Was working good - now I get it on the all downloads I try .
Any else getting this ?
I get this error when using the installer from the IC6 per FAQ. If I go into my account order page, download and install from there it seems to work OK.

When I click on the opened box icon in content of IC6 - and then not installed I get a long list of pictures from applications. WHen I install by double clicking one of those icons I get this on occasion.

I think the installer isn't properly configured for intended use of that particular content item. I have gotten the message at various times.

By RobertoColombo - 9 Years Ago
Hello RL,

in my member area, most of the content packs have 2 links: RUN (to download the install file marketplace.rld) and Download (to download the install file .exe).
Some have only the Download link, so I can download the .exe install file only.

When installed in IC6, is there any difference between the .rld and .exe install files ?

Thanks
Regards

Roberto

By wires - 9 Years Ago
RobertoColombo (1/2/2015)
Hello RL,

in my member area, most of the content packs have 2 links: RUN (to download the install file marketplace.rld) and Download (to download the install file .exe).
Some have only the Download link, so I can download the .exe install file only.

When installed in IC6, is there any difference between the .rld and .exe install files ?

Thanks
Regards

Roberto

Short answer - No!

The advantage of the EXE files is that you can install them without eating up Internet Bandwidth.

Thanks Gerry.

Just one more thing: I was never able to connect to my member account from IC6 clicking the menu Help->Member.
The link always goes in timeout (I tried for 3 days).
Did you manage to connect in that way ?
Because, according to the FAQ, that was the way to populate the "Not installed" folder...

Cheers

Roberto
By wires - 9 Years Ago
RobertoColombo (1/2/2015)
Thanks Gerry.

Just one more thing: I was never able to connect to my member account from IC6 clicking the menu Help->Member.
The link always goes in timeout (I tried for 3 days).
Did you manage to connect in that way ?
Because, according to the FAQ, that was the way to populate the "Not installed" folder...

Cheers

Roberto

Missed the question yesterday, sorry.

Anyway, I have not tried to access my user account from within iClone 6.

I do not want RL to be populating anything on my PC, I am also not interested in what's hot or new. I know what I have purchased, and what is installed on my system because just like all other iClone users I am not a brainless clod.

If I have a need for content then I will look for it. iClone 6 has enough problems without being bogged down searching some server for stuff that I have no use for in the first place.w00t

Rant over.

Thanks for your answer Gerry.

Cheers,

Roberto
By ajm5050 - 9 Years Ago
I'm not sure if it'll work for everyone, but I found a faster workaround that has worked well for me. There are also some other issues I've found with iClone6, which I've found the workarounds as well, so here goes nothing.

Instead of going through each file that need file extension changes, what I've done is to batch change entire folders.

You'll want to download this 'Extension Changer' first. When prompted to install, make sure you choose "Custom" and deselect "Change homepage to Yahoo" and such, which will affect your browser. You'll also be prompted to install some program, make sure to decline that as well, as most of these software are junks at best.

After installing the 'Extension Changer' program, double click and open the program. Then navigate to the folder of the content that needs the extension changed. If the contents are props, then type "iProp" (without quotes) in the "Change To" section of the program. Select all the files that need changed and drag them to the tiny square right next to where it says "File Name" "File Type". Give it a second or two and it's done.

There are couple of things that you'll find inconvenient about the Extension Changer. One, it doesn't recognize multiple folders well. So you can drag several folders if you want, but you'll find that some folders had not been modified. I like to be sure, so what I've done is to go into each folder that needs changing, "Select All" and make sure each and every folder got modified. Two, you'll have to start the program each and every time it finishes a batch. But in the end, they're only minor inconvenience.

Other Problems I've found with iClone6:
1 - Default iProp 'Jeep' isn't included with it. You'll have to copy and paste from iClone5 content folder to your iClone6 iProp folder. You can find 'Jeep.iProp' in the Drive:\Reallusion\Template\iClone 5 Template\iClone Template\Props folder of iClone5.

2 - Home, Stage, Outdoor folders are missing in iClone6. Once again, copy and paste from your iClone5 folder. The folders are located in the Drive:\Reallusion\Template\iClone 5 Template\iClone Template\Props\iProps folder.

3 - If you've purchased the content packs 'Evil Force - Volcano of Doom', 'Famous Movie Scenes - Times Square', 'Films and Props Vol.1', you'll notice that they are not found in the 3D Scene section of your iClone6. To fix this, you'll need to navigate to your content folder (Ex. - Drive:\Reallusion 6\Template\iClone 6 Template\iClone Template\3D Scene), then change the extension from vns to iScene.

I've done some other things to make iClone6 behave normally, but this is all I can remember from the top of my head. Hopefully this might be helpful to some people. That's it folks, happy new year!

By theschemer - 9 Years Ago
Does the iClone 6 "Content 1-Click Verification" take a long while to complete? My dialogue box has been saying "Please wait..." for a long time and remains at 0% so I am unsure if it is doing anything or not. I used SyncBack Pro and copied all my files from iClone 5 to iClone 6 per the instructions and that took about 4 minutes total for the regular and custom template folders. The verification must be the infamous "bottleneck" we know and love so well. Tongue
Thanks,
TS
By wires - 9 Years Ago
theschemer (1/5/2015)
Does the iClone 6 "Content 1-Click Verification" take a long while to complete? My dialogue box has been saying "Please wait..." for a long time and remains at 0% so I am unsure if it is doing anything or not. I used SyncBack Pro and copied all my files from iClone 5 to iClone 6 per the instructions and that took about 4 minutes total for the regular and custom template folders. The verification must be the infamous "bottleneck" we know and love so well. Tongue
Thanks,
TS

If your copied content is not marked as "Trial" - top left corner of asset icon in Content viewer - then there is no need to have it verified.  The time required depends on your Internet connection speed and the number of items to be verified.

By theschemer - 9 Years Ago
Thanks,
I did it a couple of time after canceling and then checked and it seems like the content is already verified. Strange that the progress bar remained at 0% and said to wait. Now onto the VNS files...Wink
TS
By bigh43 - 9 Years Ago
bigh43 (12/30/2014)

Retry Close

Any else getting this ?

Still don't work !
Does any one at RL care ?
Does any one from RL check the forum ?
By Peter (RL) - 9 Years Ago
bigh43 (1/6/2015)
bigh43 (12/30/2014)

Retry Close

Any else getting this ?

Still don't work !

Hi..

The forum is primarily designed for user to user discussion, not for urgent support issues.

Please use the Support Form below if you need urgent assistance. While we have an amazing community who are always willing to help other users, if you need Reallusion's help, please use the form below. We will then work with you on a one to one basis to resolve any issues you may have. Thanks.

By bigh43 - 9 Years Ago
thank you !

Peter (RL) (1/6/2015)
bigh43 (1/6/2015)
bigh43 (12/30/2014)

Retry Close

Any else getting this ?

Still don't work !

Hi..

The forum is primarily designed for user to user discussion, not for urgent support issues.

Please use the Support Form below if you need urgent assistance. While we have an amazing community who are always willing to help other users, if you need Reallusion's help, please use the form below. We will then work with you on a one to one basis to resolve any issues you may have. Thanks.

By leshenderson - 9 Years Ago
Since I do hope the Extension Changer method might make life easier, I should also note that I've seen a variation in file size when I use 3DX to convert older props one by one. I'm not sure why this is occurring. It could be that the 3DX default texture resolution of 1024 differs from original.

But, even at 2048, when I look at the same door for example, I think the conversion is blurrier than just swapping out the extension in a test I did, even though the polygon count remains constant.

So, I now have to think that unless the 3DX process is providing some benefit I'm not seeing, or Reallusion advises against it, I'll go for the extension change.

What I recommend for the process though is a different program called ScanDir from skybird.net which is free, has no adware, and which I trust 100%.
http://www.skybird.net/ScanDir/
By leshenderson - 9 Years Ago
Since it's bound to be a new program to everyone, I should provide some tips for this procedure.
First I recommend that you simply copy over the .vns files to the proper iClone props folder using whatever process you normally use. No thinking involved there and you maintain the original files in VNS format somewhere else.

Then practice with one file in ScanDir. Open it up and navigate to that file. Right click when file selected and choose Rename. A new panel with 5 sections opens up. Ignore all but #5 for Extensions which lets you choose Replace. Click that, put in iProp (no dot) and select Remember Parameters.

Clicking Okay brings up all kinds of confirmation warnings but go ahead and you are done the test one. Then go back and select all the remaining files and do the same in bulk. I've yet to try entire folders because I like to see what's happening and don't want to change the wrong extensions for characters or textures by mistake. Pretty quick regardless.

By rampart - 9 Years Ago
I late on this, but I gave up trying to make the conversion of vns files back in January.

Someone mentioned Reallusion had made a conversion of all the content with vns files and they are now starndard downloads.
I have a lot of content files. Is there a listing of these converted files. 
This way I hope to just go down the list and replace those files.