OFFICIAL iClone 7.22 Issues Thread

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic364299.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Peter (RL) - 6 Years Ago
Dear iClone Users,

It's that time again when we have another new iClone 7 update and need your continued assistance to help us track down any remaining bugs, glitches or other annoying issues.

iClone 7.22 adds new enhancements and also comes a large number of important fixes.

Important: If you do find any new bugs, issues or glitches in the 7.22 update, please can you report them first in the Feedback Tracker. Then feel free to discuss the issues in this thread. However do make use of the Feedback Tracker first to log the issue.

As always it will help us greatly if we can keep all outstanding issue discussion in the one place (this thread). This will help the development team keep track of any problems.

Please do try to provide your full system specifications and a detailed description of the problem when reporting issues. If you can provide steps so we can try and reproduce the problem this will be even better. If the issue has been previously reported, please post a link the original report.

Many Thanks. Smile    
By raxel_67 - 6 Years Ago
My issue with undo not working still persists, also speedtrees keep disappearing still, (solution: delete temp files, works like a charm still).
By Jfrog - 6 Years Ago
I am freaking out here. Major problem with hide show tracks. I loaded an Iclone session I am working on, tested the hide show tracks with the trees and particles. Now even if I load an earlier version of this session I can't see my trees and particles even If they are in the show mode.  Antbody else can confirm this please? Make a backup on a disk before testing, because this is scary!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a08ec39-c6b8-4931-9b80-52ca.png
By wires - 6 Years Ago
@Jfrog,

I can't reproduce your issue, but while testing I noticed something else regarding turning visibility On and Off.

With a Prop selected in a scene I can change the visibility either using the "Eye" icon in the Scene Manager, or the one in the Main Menu bar:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9cbfb2ae-643e-424a-8db1-b666.png

However with Trees the only option to change visibility is to use the "Eye" icon in the Scene Manager. As soon as a Tree is selected in a scene the icon on the Main Menu bar is disabled:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4cfff08c-0fbe-440b-bdc0-8f29.png

Jfrog (4/13/2018)
I am freaking out here. Major problem with hide show tracks. I loaded an Iclone session I am working on, tested the hide show tracks with the trees and particles. Now even if I load an earlier version of this session I can't see my trees and particles even If they are in the show mode.  Antbody else can confirm this please? Make a backup on a disk before testing, because this is scary!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5a08ec39-c6b8-4931-9b80-52ca.png

delete your temp files, open your Project, close iclone, reopen and reload the Project and trees should come back

By Jfrog - 6 Years Ago
Thank you for your the quick reply guys.   Deleting the preference solve the trees problem but I still couldn't see my particles.  The Fur particles  was using the Arabian horse mesh that is invisible by default. I was finally able to see the Fur particles fx by making the horse visible and using simulate in pfx. I had to do the combination of both to have my popcorn fx back.

By Am7add9 - 6 Years Ago
using invisible on a avatar causes it to t-pose (with no animation)
so cannot do some portal and popcorn effects unless
you change all textures to 0% opacity.
By Delerna - 6 Years Ago
OOPS My fault

I should have posed this here

Sorry
By Delerna - 6 Years Ago
What???? 
I was logged in when I posted this here because when I tried going to feedback tracker it wanted me to login so I did and it wouldn't accept my loggin.
That's why I posted here

I just logged out of the forum and logged back in.
Now when I go to feedback tracker it opens up fine for me now.
Obviously related to me setting my forum loggin to remember me I think?
By Delerna - 6 Years Ago
Yep its definitely related to setting forum to remember your login.
I just closed all my web browsers down. Reopened the forum which automatically logged me in because I didn't log out when I closed the forum.

Now when I goto the feedback tracker it wants me to login and wont accept me
By Delerna - 6 Years Ago
Posted all of this into feedback tracker now.
I have also logged out, logged back in and unticked remember me.
I then logged out again and logged back in and ticked the remember me button.
Finally I closed my browser down without logging out and then reopened the forum and went to feedback tracker to test if it was still going to open with wanting me to login and still refusing me.
But now it works. Have tried closing without logging out and reopening a few times and it is all working fine now.
Looks like something wrong on my computer so don't expect the developers will be able to replicate the problem. As a developer I know it is next to impossible to answer or correct an issue in that case.
so pthhhhhhhh. forget my comments on this. Just the other one with iClone not recognising folder shortcuts anymore after updating to 7.21. As said it used to work with 7.2 so I don't think that is related to something with my computer?  At least I hope not.
By Alien Maniac - 6 Years Ago
I am so busy working on a project and have no time for all these darn bugs....wo so many, too many to list. 1 example is that a video back shows through all models and characters, How in the heck is that even possible? Anyway, I need back my IC 7.2 now (it worked fine) so I can get this work done...I am on a deadline. How can I do this? quickly....I am waiting.
By wires - 6 Years Ago
Space Rider (4/15/2018)
I am so busy working on a project and have no time for all these darn bugs....wo so many, too many to list. 1 example is that a video back shows through all models and characters, How in the heck is that even possible? Anyway, I need back my IC 7.2 now (it worked fine) so I can get this work done...I am on a deadline. How can I do this? quickly....I am waiting.

The only way to roll back is to remove 7.21 from your system and then run the 7.2 installer that you have hopefully saved on an external drive.
By Alien Maniac - 6 Years Ago
Great idea, THANKS Gerry.....
By TonyDPrime - 6 Years Ago
I'll put this in the Feedback Tracker, but here is a video showing effects of viewport size on overlapping opacity textures, in this case the Daz hair.
The vids are not identical, I used a different lighting for the one I got working. 
And you would say, "Well, then just make it mini...", right?  But, when you do, lighting you will experience a loss of lighting fidelity (becomes pixelated with artifacts).

Using a regular-sized viewport

Using a mini-sized viewport 

Anyway, thx to 4U2Ges for past suggestion, and enjoy!
By TheOldBuffer - 6 Years Ago
I've found another issue with 7.21 and reported on feedback tracker. In the timeline there is supposed to be a morph track available for props that have morphs created in the morph editor. There isnt  an option to select such a track. 
By justaviking - 6 Years Ago
TonyDPrime (4/22/2018)
I'll put this in the Feedback Tracker, but here is a video showing effects of viewport size on overlapping opacity textures, in this case the Daz hair.
The vids are not identical, I used a different lighting for the one I got working. 
And you would say, "Well, then just make it mini...", right?  But, when you do, lighting you will experience a loss of lighting fidelity (becomes pixelated with artifacts).

Gaaaahhh!!!!   It angers and offends me that the preview window has any effect on the render results!!!!

If I was the product manager, I'd lock all the develoopers in the building until it gets fixed.  I'd buy Mt. Dew, Monster drinks, and pizza, but nobody goes home until something that dumb is solved.  Gaaaahhhh!!!!!!   Angry  Crazy  
By wires - 6 Years Ago
TheOldBuffer (4/23/2018)
I've found another issue with 7.21 and reported on feedback tracker. In the timeline there is supposed to be a morph track available for props that have morphs created in the morph editor. There isnt  an option to select such a track. 

The option is available as shown in the screen shots below.

Prop Morph:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2bda47fa-9e9e-42dc-9b4b-3fc9.png

Character Morph:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/03c702e4-c055-498e-ad06-0d64.png

I know where it should be but it's not there........

wires (4/23/2018)
TheOldBuffer (4/23/2018)

The option is available as shown in the screen shots below.

Prop Morph:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2bda47fa-9e9e-42dc-9b4b-3fc9.png

Character Morph:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/03c702e4-c055-498e-ad06-0d64.png

By wires - 6 Years Ago
My screen shots were taken just before I made my post, and are from 7.21.

I can't add any more information as to why your system isn't showing the tracks correctly. It would be interesting to know if other users are having this issue or not, unfortunately there are only a few users who take time to reply to such posts.

I also think it would be a good idea to find out who else has this problem but also which cpu people with the problem are using.  Seems that those having big problems aren't using Intel chips. 

wires (4/23/2018)
My screen shots were taken just before I made my post, and are from 7.21.

I can't add any more information as to why your system isn't showing the tracks correctly. It would be interesting to know if other users are having this issue or not, unfortunately there are only a few users who take time to reply to such posts.

By Postfrosch - 6 Years Ago
In the timeline there is supposed to be a morph track available for props that have morphs created in the morph editor. There isnt  an option to select such a track.          

So for me "Morph" is displayed in the timeline.
(if I sent the morphed file back to IC "send / replace to Iclone"
Of course, if I only have Morph Editro (without sending / replacing to Iclone), Morph will not appear in the timeline

I have an I7 processor
Greets from Germany
Postfrosch
justaviking (4/23/2018)
TonyDPrime (4/22/2018)

Gaaaahhh!!!!   It angers and offends me that the preview window has any effect on the render results!!!!

If I was the product manager, I'd lock all the develoopers in the building until it gets fixed.  I'd buy Mt. Dew, Monster drinks, and pizza, but nobody goes home until something that dumb is solved.  Gaaaahhhh!!!!!!   Angry  Crazy  

If you order, get 2x the # of pepperoni pies you were thinking of, because everyone goes for those first, and you regret not getting more.  
The resizing is like a giant 'Render Fidelity' slider!  You can bias it towards opacity texture accuracy, or lighting smoothness.
By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago
Tony! ....  You must be (I'm discovering), the resident 'comic relief artist'!  Smile  and I just love your humor !!!
Steve.
By Bezzer - 6 Years Ago
raxel_67 (4/12/2018)
My issue with undo not working still persists, also speedtrees keep disappearing still, (solution: delete temp files, works like a charm still).

Same issue with speedtrees, but deleting temp files doesn't work for me either :-( 
sonic7 (4/23/2018)
Tony! ....  You must be (I'm discovering), the resident 'comic relief artist'!  Smile  and I just love your humor !!!
Steve.

Thanks, Steve.
I actually received my comic degree in the Octane forums, and completed my Residency here in the RL forums.  
Now I am a fully licensed Comic Relief Senior Analyst, with a Series 69 Registration. 

By toystorylab - 6 Years Ago
TheOldBuffer (4/23/2018)

I also think it would be a good idea to find out who else has this problem but also which cpu people with the problem are using.  Seems that those having big problems aren't using Intel chips.
wires (4/23/2018)
My screen shots were taken just before I made my post, and are from 7.21

I have a bag from DAZ with Morphs, and the morphs are visible in the timeline:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a1f20bc8-bd37-49e4-9b51-f8a3.png

And i use Intel:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/26e35949-c223-403d-a67c-fc43.png

The thing with screen resizing to help with overlapping opacity mapped textures, happens with Daz hair:

Get Out And Rock The Vote in Feedback Tracker!

Otherwise we will have this.  And Square-Hair ISN'T Cool.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/683f4df5-3335-4cb0-9f31-9e69.jpg
By Kelleytoons - 6 Years Ago
This isn't the same blue hair you couldn't get working, is it?  If not, let me know what hair it is and let me see if I can fix it like I fixed the other hair (and I assume you saw my video on that).
Kelleytoons (4/26/2018)
This isn't the same blue hair you couldn't get working, is it?  If not, let me know what hair it is and let me see if I can fix it like I fixed the other hair (and I assume you saw my video on that).

KT, thanks.  I actually still got artifacts even after bringing it down to 2 texture maps.  Wondering if this might actually be driver related...
If you straight imported the Samira Hair, without doing the Blender routine, did you see it flickering when you brought it in to iClone?
Curious what you would see with a 'typical' import, having the 9 texture maps.... (Daz to 3DXchange)
Perhaps you didn't have the right transparency maps on it -- I had no issues with any artifacts (nor would I expect any, as it works fine with only the one transparency texture, as do all the other hair).  There's no much point in not consolidating the maps, since they all use the same ones (so you're just asking for trouble... and apparently iClone delivers, not handling multiple maps properly).

But you DID use my routine, right?  Because doing it any other way might not be the correct way.
Hi KT - 
Thanks so much for advising me on this.  Yes, used your method and I do now have 2 textures following the export from Blender, a cap and a hair.  The hair consists of the 8 non-cap textures combined into one, with one single instance of an opacity map and diffuse.  But still I get the pixelation and flickering, just not as severe.  Hmmmm.   Maybe it's the hair itself, weird. 
I'm using 388.71, are you using anything close to that?  Thx!
......just a quick note on hair in iClone, Ive always found that hair whether from reallusion or daz seems to work better if textures are set to traditional rather than pbr and also to use jpg opacity maps 
TonyDPrime (4/26/2018)
Hi KT - 
Thanks so much for advising me on this.  Yes, used your method and I do now have 2 textures following the export from Blender, a cap and a hair.  The hair consists of the 8 non-cap textures combined into one, with one single instance of an opacity map and diffuse.  But still I get the pixelation and flickering, just not as severe.  Hmmmm.   Maybe it's the hair itself, weird. 
I'm using 388.71, are you using anything close to that?  Thx!

I've rolled back to 391.01 -- this was the driver I was using for a LONG time (the one that was stable for me after upgrading and then not having billboards work properly) but when I got my Titan it, of course, installed the latest drivers and like others I noticed a slowdown until I downgraded again.

But let me ask you -- when you used my routine and then brought it into CC you then needed to load in your own bump, roughness and opacity maps and I wonder if you did this properly?  You need all three (and the bump map turned back down, to around 20 or so) in order to get the proper look to the hair (it will only load the color in, of course).  (And remember the roughness map is the inverse of the specular, with it also turned down -18 or so, as per RL's own instructions).  All of those are important (some VERY) to the way the hair looks and behaves.

But let's say you did all that and are seeing things you think are wrong -- perhaps I'm just not seeing with the same eyes as you.  So I made another test here, closeup and slow enough you see what I see.  Perhaps I'm missing something, maybe there are odd things going on here that you notice, so let me know and maybe we can figure out what's going on (also, remember you can and should be adjusting your shadow bias and other lighting controls to get perfect results -- no render is complete without those adjustments, and in particular anything with faces needs careful shadow bias to make sure all is well).

Hi KT - I think you are on to something here.  I didn't apply a bump map, but when I did, it reduced the pixelation artifacts.  Then I applied the auxiliary light, and it drastically reduced the artifacts.
Traditional vs PBR has no effect.  Changing texture of resolution does alter the appearance, but does not eliminate.
But - Then when I moved the hair by itself across the screen, the pixelation stayed geographically the same on the screen, almost like it was a field of some sort that the hair was passing through.  Which leads me to believe it may be a lighting computation issue.  I had the same issue with PopcornFX, the opacity maps weren't working at all, and then I updated the driver from 372.90 to 388.71, and it went away.  I'm wondering if my NVidia driver is at play here.  So I will look to try the 391.01, but let me also ask:

Is there anyone who never finds any pixelation or artifacting in either Daz Hair or PopcornFX?  If so, and you never have any issues, what NVidia driver do you have?

THX! 
How about your GI settings?  Those are things that have a fixed position on screen, so perhaps that's what the hair is moving through.

When I get oddities in the image (and I sometimes do, but not often) I always start by reducing the scene down, lighting wise.  So I turn *everything* off (including IBL) so it's black, and then turn the key light on and see if the stuff is there.  If not, I turn the key light off and turn on IBL, etc. etc.  Nearly all the time it's some issue with the lights -- maybe my GI is turned way too high, too low, not enough voxels.  Or perhaps the shadow bias on the object(s) needs adjustments.  Or the shadow bias in GI.  Or IBL... I think you get the idea.

While it's always possible there are issues that aren't lighting related, when you stop and think about it, ALL the image rendering relates back to the lights -- without light, there is no image rendered (or just black shapes on a dark background).  And I have noticed the iClone is rather particular about how all the lighting elements work in combination.
Well, I couldn't figure this one out if it hit me on the head and called me Lucille.
Cause I dang done the following:

1) Updated driver to 391.01, then 397.31. Both no change.  BTW - I noticed comments about lower FPS and 397.31 has lower FPS.  I am going to roll back.
2) changed my graphics card...No change
3) Changed every setting in the iClone arsenal...nothin...not even a whimper closer to what y'all had

It's like I can't figure it out. 
I felt so desperately that I would, yet I failed all the same...Dread it....Run from it....Destiny still arrives.... 

KT - My last thought is that I could PM you my version hair and you could PM me yours, we could see what artifacting, if any occurs on our systems.
It would tell me if it was my system, or the version iClone hair. 

PS - I promise I will not pack a virus into the file...or at least not a serious one...
Okay, it might have some ads and a task bar add-on, but nothing else....
Okay, I'll be honest, it will be a Trojan...so just turn your internet security off.
Let me know, Thanks again so much.

You know what's odd, is that the Mini viewport gets it right....
And know what else, the pixelation flickers, but if I open say a web browser and make it a small windowed instance that I move around, in front of iClone, the flickering in iClone slows down!
And then, if then I close out the browser, or completely minimize it so it's off screen, then the flickering speeds up again, like there is some processing going on....weird. 
Like, the pixelated flickering is competing with the browser for the GPU's graphical resource. 
But why....WHY?....Why is it processing flickering.  It is actually is going out of its way to extend itself to make artifacts...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0725a55c-27ce-411f-982a-6445.jpg

You can PM me your scene -- I'll PM you mine -- but do the whole scene, because I'm not so sure still it isn't some settings (and, like I say, it still might be that you are seeing something that is there on my own system but I just don't see it).  So the first thing I would do if I were you is render my scene and see if you get exactly the same results (so I'll also include a zip of the MP4 file for you to compare.

I'm far more convinced that I probably have the same results you are having but just don't look at it the same way.
@Tony - When it's busy flickering, can you open up a GPU-monitoring tool, like GPU-Z?  (Or, I think the Windows 10 system monitor can also peek at the GPU.)  It is busy?
justaviking (4/26/2018)
@Tony - When it's busy flickering, can you open up a GPU-monitoring tool, like GPU-Z?  (Or, I think the Windows 10 system monitor can also peek at the GPU.)  It is busy?

Hi JAV, great idea.  I did test with GPU-Z and it shows TDP consistent whether the artifacts are there or not.  I moved the hair around to hide it.  
What is interesting, though, is that when I opened GPU-Z on screen, the artifacting goes slower, like a loss of FPS. Then when I close, or minimize it, it goes faster, like it is restored to 60 FPS.

If I open the hair in Max or Octane, no artifacting, so at minimum whatever it is, it uniquely involves iClone.
Interesting.
Not what I was looking for or expecting, but interesting.

I should have been more explicit, but was wondering if the "GPU Load" was running high, even when you aren't doing anything, or at least nothing significant like doing a real time preview or a render.  It is easy to have iClone fully saturate your GPU even after you hit the Stop button.  I was wondering if this was another manifestation of that (and I continue to adamantly believe that is a symptom of an underlying problem).
By animagic - 6 Years Ago
TheOldBuffer (4/23/2018)

If there are morphs for characters or props I can select them to appear in the timeline. As Postfrosch already mentioned, if there are no morphs, then there's no option to select a Morph track.

My system: Windows 10 Pro; Intel i7 5820K; Nvidia GTX 1080; 32GB of RAM.
I'm saddened by the fact that issue 3373 is still not fixed. It concerns hair against fog/particles, which becomes really ugly.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/3534f691-6b23-48d7-8c65-145d.jpg

It is worse in preview.

I'm also noticing the slow fps reported by others.
KT, look at this...If you don't ever get any pixelation artifacting like this, I am fascinated. 
What could it be, we tried the same driver....it must be Win 10 vs Win 7 then? 
Specifically a Direct X difference perhaps...
Maybe some setting in the NVidia driver?...although I'm thinking neither of us fiddle with NVidia's settings.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a54e7e10-4e23-485d-912c-e44c.jpg
By Rampa - 6 Years Ago
animagic (4/27/2018)
I'm saddened by the fact that issue 3373 is still not fixed. It concerns hair against fog/particles, which becomes really ugly.

It is worse in preview.

Try these settings:

In the preferences there are DOF settings for the edge softening and DOF through transparency. The softening can then be increased in the camera DOF settings. For the hair you do need the DOF through transparency checked, as it uses a transparency map to make the strands.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/30f72b09-dbd5-462b-9649-668a.jpg
My morph track issue is solved after a system shut down and restart. Thanks to all who helped with this.

On another note, in the daz3d/3dxchange import issue, If you pm Peter he'll send you a link to download a WORKING version of 3dxchange that imports dazzies perfectly .
KT - when you tried my BlueHair, you didn't see any artifacting in the viewport, at all, no matter how large or small, and no matter what position?
Like this or similar...those boxes/squares:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0a45739f-1e1c-406e-9e9f-a10a.jpg

Anyone - I'm wondering, as I imported my BlueHair into iC6, and it also gave me the artifacting there.  Was this an issue before in 6?  I don't remember if this ever came up or not.
Also, is there anyone who NEVER EVER sees this, at all, or does everyone see it, to some degree? 
Because no one outright has said "No I never see that at all", but then I tested hair that KT was showing on his system had no issues, and on my system I could get it to show issues, although it was much less apparent in the viewport overall. 
Tony,

No, I don't see that artifacting and have never seen anything like that.  But a few questions come to mind:

1) You see this in the RENDER?  Because that's the only real important point.  I assume you must or you wouldn't be complaining but, honestly, that checkerboarding looks like something the system is doing independently of iClone, or at least independent of a render situation.  It reminds me of the sort of thing that shows up when alpha is indicated (like in Photoshop).

2) When you rendered my project did you get artifacts?  You say you saw them, but to a much less degree, but did you see them in the render?

I have my system set up on dual monitors, and my viewport is the way I want it.  I am NOT going to start messing around with it on the off chance I don't get it back the way I want it, but if it IS a viewport issue (we already know iClone is sensitive to viewport sizing) then you might want to try playing around with your settings.  I don't have the mini viewport at all on my main monitor, and the main render/display window takes up about 2/3 of my screen (see screenshot).  You might try setting yours up the same way to see if it helps. Something else that occurs to me -- I run in 1920x1080: is that what you are using?

I can try your project on my laptop (it also runs in that resolution but, obviously, only a single monitor) and I will, but I sincerely doubt it will make a difference.  If I had your system the first thing I'd do is play with the opacity settings on those materials and see if by turning things down you can eliminate or increase the issue.  I'd also remove the opacity maps and play around with different ones -- again, this seems like an alpha display issue, somehow (although why it would only affect your system I have no idea).  I'm going to guess RL won't be able to duplicate your issue, though (and if they can't, they can't solve it).

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8157c08b-d364-444b-88e1-28b9.jpg
KT - to answer your questions, yes I can find workarounds, and even when the artifacting occurred on your hair that you sent me, when it rendered it didn't have the artifacting pixelation all the time, I could hide it.    I just like the idea that you can work with it without any thought involved,like it just displays properly and works.

You know what is interesting, I do have a lot of other hairs from Daz, with multiple layers of opacity, that do not artifact,.  I wonder if hairs are created differently in Daz by different designers, say triangles vs polygons, or something like that.  I maybe screwing up the terminology, but maybe the compositional parts differ, somehow.  

And maybe the weakness is not overlaying opacity textures, but the way Direct X handles the display of different 3D object 'pieces'....Maybe the overlapping opacity just was coincidental, because when I merged it to one opacity, it's not overlayed opacity anymore, so how could it be overlaying opacity maps.  But the hair geometry is still present, maybe it's still overlaying opacity, just as one mesh somehow?
In any event, maybe it's rooted in the geometry then...Anyone with any thoughts on this type of stuff, I would love to hear.

Those are all interesting thoughts, but the bottom line is that I (and I'm guessing every other person) don't have that problem.  So it is NOT iClone, nor the hair, nor anything other than something with your system.

In the old days (when computers were simpler) I'd just suggest you start from scratch -- wipe your disk, install your OS again, and all your programs.  Honestly, I do this about once a year anyway (mostly because of things I end up buying -- either a new computer, or perhaps a new SSD or whatever).  Something is wrong in your system and if it can't be duplicated otherwise your only alternative is to make your system like everyone else's.

But you've sent this to RL, right, the problem project?  So perhaps they will have better ideas (and please share whatever they end up telling you).
By Am7add9 - 6 Years Ago
animagic (4/27/2018)

It is worse in preview.

this is easily fixed in the textures
i think alpha threshold is the name (dont have iclone open)
Kelleytoons (4/27/2018)
Those are all interesting thoughts, but the bottom line is that I (and I'm guessing every other person) don't have that problem.  So it is NOT iClone, nor the hair, nor anything other than something with your system.

In the old days (when computers were simpler) I'd just suggest you start from scratch -- wipe your disk, install your OS again, and all your programs.  Honestly, I do this about once a year anyway (mostly because of things I end up buying -- either a new computer, or perhaps a new SSD or whatever).  Something is wrong in your system and if it can't be duplicated otherwise your only alternative is to make your system like everyone else's.

But you've sent this to RL, right, the problem project?  So perhaps they will have better ideas (and please share whatever they end up telling you).

Well, the status is "Assigned", so it is recognized as a problem by RL, and I'm not the only one who has observed it. Sorry, I'm not some whining novice who doesn't know what he is doing. 
telecaster (4/27/2018)
this is easily fixed in the textures
i think alpha threshold is the name (dont have iclone open)

I tried that obviously, and it doesn't work, in that the hair looks stringy rather than like hair. It looses some of it's fluffiness.

Rampa, I will try your suggestion, thanks, although this is unrelated to DOF. It occurs with particles.
Look at this...I set the Nvidia Graphics driver mode to 8 Bit color, looks like Safe-Mode....
And it STILL had the flickering square artifacts...Could that be a clue to something?...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7896b28e-1b9f-4297-afac-f883.jpg
animagic (4/27/2018)
Kelleytoons (4/27/2018)

Well, the status is "Assigned", so it is recognized as a problem by RL, and I'm not the only one who has observed it. Sorry, I'm not some whining novice who doesn't know what he is doing. 

I was talking about your problem, Ani, unless you are the one with the square pixelation showing (and if you have it as well, I apologize).  So you're saying RL knows about this square weird thing that Tony and you have?  Why doesn't anyone else have this issue (or, to put it another way -- why doesn't Tony's project have the same problem on my machine?)

And if you have a project that also shows that square thing, could you post it here?  I'd love to see if it shows that way on my machine.

I updated my FBT ticket with my additional findings. 
I wonder if Ani's scene, or a scene like it, would give me an issue, but not you, KT.
Sorry, Kelley, that was a misunderstanding on my part. I don't have Tony's square pixelation issue, although I have come across other square pixelation artifacts (more like a flashing coarse grid superimposed on the scene) that are incidental and cannot be repeated.

I hope RL takes a look at Tony's problem and  project. I'm just getting back into iClone, so I'm a bit behind.

If anybody is interested in verifying MY problem, here is a link to a zipped project that shows it: http://www.virtualrealist.com/uploads/hair_and_smoke_and_dof.zip.
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
TonyDPrime (4/27/2018)
KT, look at this...If you don't ever get any pixelation artifacting like this, I am fascinated. 
What could it be, we tried the same driver....it must be Win 10 vs Win 7 then? 
Specifically a Direct X difference perhaps...

You bet. There is an old thread, where me and Mark discussing opacity artifacts and finally we came to the conclusion it is an iClone/DirectX 11 vs iClone/DirectX 12.
We both had the problem with Mark's project (given both own Win7 OS), while other user Zeronimo with win10 had no problem with the project at all.

https://forum.reallusion.com/339948/Opacity-Artifacts?PageIndex=1

@animagic This is bizarre. Even with DOF off, it is still  a problem. Replacing iClone smoke with PopcornFX makes no difference. Whistling
By Rampa - 6 Years Ago
@Animagic

It's a depth-sorting issue. It has trouble figuring the proper transparency when transparencies are layered. Hair with opacity in front of fog with opacity.

There is sort of a fix, and that is to make the hair opacity not completely transparent. There are a couple ways to do that. You can reduce the strength of the opacity channel. This has the advantage of being something you can animate. The other way is to lighten the opacity texture with the texture adjust panel This cannot be animated though.

Sadly, it will then look weird wherever it overlaps something 100 opaque. Sad
Rampa, thanks. Is that a technical limitation then for which there is no easy fix?

What I have been doing in a similar scene is to have a separate render with just the characters with hair and then combine that with the complete scene with fog, but the characters bald.
By Rampa - 6 Years Ago
I really don't know if it is a technical limitation or not. I remembered that we had a that issue in Moviestorm, and that was the fix.

I did download your example scene and test it out. Not a perfect solution, but works for a still shot. If she is moving, or the camera is moving, then the change of what's behind her, even with keying the opacity, could be bad.
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Perhaps the case should have been simplified. Anything in the front of the particles, which has opacity less than 100% is getting suppressed. And this is totally unacceptable!
Here is a red cube and a blue billboard in the front of the white planes (iClone particles) and a smoke (PopcornFX):

By pyravizion - 6 Years Ago
Ever since the update, I can no longer export animations from 3DXchange to iClone. I keep getting an error, referring to an invalid character in the filename, then it says "Export Successful" but there's no motion file,  just the iAvatar file.
By aossepian - 6 Years Ago
i had the same problem, i have a big project with many scenes done and updated my iclone then boom all my props have disappeared but deleting my temp folder brought them back, as i read it here. thank you guys, you are soooo helpful
More on the opacity hair front. I realized I do in fact have many Daz hairs that do not have the pixelation articating issue, so one theoretically may not come across it due to not having brought in a specific hair.

The second thing is that at worst, I can still resize the screen to reduce the hair issues to a great degree.
@Animagic, did you ever try making the viewport small as a workaround for your scene with Jade and Zane?

Given that others have an opacity issue and screen size thing I don’t think that my system is a unique one-off factor here, more the current iteration of iClone gives many users the issue. But, so I wonder if someone who does not have any opacity issues would not also be seeing the screen resizing issue.
@KT , or anyone with no opacity issue encounters- Do you ever see that altering iClone viewport size affects your renders ever? If you would tell us, no, because you never resize it would leave the question in the air unanswered. If you say, yes I always see changes when I in fact resize, or no I never see changes when I in fact resize, it would answer.

Regards!
Tony,

If you are using Win 7 my guess is that just by upgrading your system all your problems with this particular hair would go away.  Honestly, I can't imagine running iClone with anything other than the latest OS, just as I can't imagine using an obsolete graphics card with it.  But if you *are* using 10 and things are still screwy then perhaps there is something else you can do to fix things.
animagic (4/27/2018)
If anybody is interested in verifying MY problem, here is a link to a zipped project that shows it: http://www.virtualrealist.com/uploads/hair_and_smoke_and_dof.zip.

If you change the Blend Mode from "Big Smoke" from "Alpha" to "Addition" the problem does not occur:
(A few changes were made to the diffuse map of "Big Smoke" and the oppacity of one Particle key so the smoke is not so "white"...)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ym5l9i58xuo644t/Hair%20and%20smoke%20and%20DOF%20XXX.iProject?dl=0

Well, this only works if you can change this "Blend Mode"...
Popcorn FX does not have this, so the only way to do this (as far i know) is with "Alpha Threshold".
An "Alpha Threshold" of 40 and "Self-Illumination" of 70 on Fade_Mohawk_Hair would be good enough for me...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dv3yzdecjqbtd1t/Hair%20and%20smoke%20and%20DOF%20Alpha%20Threshold.iProject?dl=0
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (4/29/2018)

Honestly, I can't imagine running iClone with anything other than the latest OS

As much as I hate rolling to win 10, there eventually is no alternative to that. As we can see iClone does not fully support win7/directX11.
Comes next version and win7 might not be supported at all... Better be ready.

@toystorylab I tried all that and it never worked for me... but I did switch the DOF OFF initially (thinking that might be part of the problem), never switched it back on. And that was a mistake. It is exactly opposite!
Without focusing on a semi-transparent object, the particles would always mask it.

By R Ham - 6 Years Ago
4u2ges (4/29/2018)
As much as I hate rolling to win 10, there eventually is no alternative to that. As we can see iClone does not fully support win7/directX11.

A sobering thought indeed.
4u2ges (4/29/2018)
Kelleytoons (4/29/2018)

Honestly, I can't imagine running iClone with anything other than the latest OS

@toystorylab I tried all that and it never worked for me... but I did switch the DOF OFF initially (thinking that might be part of the problem), never switched it back on. And that was a mistake. It is exactly opposite!
Without focusing on a semi-transparent object, the particles would always mask it. 

This is a fascinating concept. 
Imagine if RL cut off all users without the most up to date OS or hardware, thus eliminating any said users from purchasing items from the content store or further plugins, updates, until that user actually upgraded. 
And then they posted, "Any user without (1) Win 10 - Direct X 12, (2) Titan V Volta, (3) SSD, (4) 4K Monitor, (5) Most updated Motherboard BIOS....You're screwed, sorry!" 
That would be awesome!

But they kind of already did that, Tony.

You can't use GI without a newer graphics card.  Oh, sure, you can still run iClone, but GI is one of the major selling points.  It's more than possible that the next iteration won't support Win 7/Directx 11 and I have no problems with that.

You can always run iClone 6 -- no one is forcing you to upgrade.  But running the latest and greatest 3D program will always perform better on the latest and greatest OS and hardware.   Honestly, I'm amazed that RL would even try and support older things.
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Yes, and that would continue on and on... cutting new features support for older "things". And that is normal. No one would think rolling back to XP nowadays (though I think it was the best OS ever made by MS.. took me quite a while to switch to win7 at the time).

There still conceptual bugs present in iClone processing opacity maps. It is just more optimized for and works better with DirectX 12 as oppose to DirectX 11 I suppose.

Kelleytoons (4/29/2018)
But they kind of already did that, Tony.

You can't use GI without a newer graphics card.  Oh, sure, you can still run iClone, but GI is one of the major selling points.  It's more than possible that the next iteration won't support Win 7/Directx 11 and I have no problems with that.

You can always run iClone 6 -- no one is forcing you to upgrade.  But running the latest and greatest 3D program will always perform better on the latest and greatest OS and hardware.   Honestly, I'm amazed that RL would even try and support older things.

Well, but GI is in fact an upgrade.  It wasn't like GI itself is a issue.  It is a new feature, not a bug.
Also the issue that I was citing exists when NOT in GI/PBR mode, and is not found in Max, Octane, Daz, etc.  So it is uniquely iClone and not identifiably caused by newer feature set requiring newer hardware.
Not really the same thing.

What you are saying strikes me more...."I am amazed RL would even try to support older things"
Why - Is it wrong to support older things?  Is RL incapable of fixing issues?  

4u2ges (4/29/2018)
Yes, and that would continue on and on... cutting new features support for older "things". And that is normal. No one would think rolling back to XP nowadays (though I think it was the best OS ever made by MS.. took me quite a while to switch to win7 at the time).

There still conceptual bugs present in iClone processing opacity maps. It is just more optimized for and works better with DirectX 12 as oppose to DirectX 11 I suppose.

Well, I think if RL said, to the effect:
"Issue X cannot be resolved in Win 7, but does in fact work in Win 10"...that would tell us something.  Then you know updating is the solution.
As opposed to a mere blanket statement of "non-reproduceable", or "Try updating to latest OS"...that has no explanatory power on a development end.
Because you have to move on -- technology changes, improves and we need to change with it.

Oh, sure, you *might* even be able to run Max on XP (although I kind of doubt it) but it would be completely stupid.  And VERY wasteful of resources for Autodesk to try and support it.  Same is doubly true of RL, who have far more limited resources.  I do NOT want them spending even one single second on trying to fix issues that folks running anything less than the current OS are having, not when the answer is just to update to that OS.  That robs from those of us who do keep current.

Obviously you have a different perspective (although not running at least Win 8 is plain silly) but that's mine.  Life is WAY too short for me to not always run the latest and greatest and expect cutting edge software to work properly on it (and only it).
Actually, Tony, I like you and because I wrote that quickly I may have not expressed it correctly and you deserve a better answer.

Here's where we may be differing -- I spent many, many decades in the software industry, so my perspective is perhaps a bit different from yours.  I well know the trouble any company has in developing software, and things that users aren't always aware of.  In the case of trying to write cutting edge stuff, designed to work with the latest and greatest, it is the most royal pain in the ass it could be to try and make it work for those folks who do not have that platform (it's doubly worse, as it was with some of the stuff our team worked on, to have to support both the PC and Apple world).

(I'm always aware you probably just replied in the meantime because I just got notified of a response, but I'll finish this and if it's not in good context I'll edit it afterwards).

Anyway, the point I was trying to make, perhaps hamhandedly, is that you have to decide where you spend your limited resources and it's a terrible game to try and play.  Do you fix bugs or add new features?  Do you make your system work with the newest OS/hardware (which ALWAYS changes) or do you stick with what it was first written with?  Do you try and please your users by doing what they want, or what you think is right?  And, no, you can't do it all.  The choices you make can determine your viability as a company and are NEVER easy.

For a program like iClone I can only imagine how difficult it must be.  But I don't want RL to waste any of their time fixing/improving/making sure it works with something that's old.  I don't want them to make sure it will work with HD onboard graphics cards (hint: they don't).  If it needs DirectX 99, then so be it -- I'll go there with them.  I want them to tell me what I need in the way of facecams for Faceware to work, for graphics and OS for iClone to work, and I'll be there.  For others it will be a different story, but for me it's an easy decision because I truly love iClone (despite my constant bitching :>Wink and I'll go where they lead.

Edit: Ah, okay, you're just asking RL for a definitive answer on your particular issue.  I think that's fair, and I assume you did get a trouble ticket on it, so perhaps that's exactly what you'll get in response (but note I think you should open a trouble ticket and not just report it on the FT as an issue).  If they tell you they've isolated it to the OS you have your solution (although, honestly, if you can't get anyone with Win 10 to duplicate it I think you have the solution.  I assume you have no other computers you can test it on yourself, right?)
I am humbled by your words, KT!   I would like, now that you mention it, to try to test on a different machine, will have to update it to Win 10.  It is an older PC I have, in need of repair, but will give me incentive to fix.
Probably will indeed come in handy for a bunch of things, actually, now that you mention it!  

By theschemer - 6 Years Ago
I recently built me a new powerful Win10 pc but have yet to get my RL products installed and set up on it. The good thing is we can install on 2 machines so I will keep both my Win7 and my Win10 machines fully up to date and usable. I just need some spare time to finish setting it up with all the antivirus and popup blockers etc and I think I have blocked all the Win10 "Big Brother" stuff. So any day now and I will be a Win10 use although I have been hating the idea. Wow
By R Ham - 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (4/29/2018)

It costs 2G of pricey VRAM from that "newer graphics card" to get aboard the DX12 train. The train is on a one-way trip to Rentware City. The conductor has already announced this destination. Every dog has its day. MS has had theirs.

It's hard to predict the future, but MS will eventually disenfranchise the common user as Adobe has already done. I will wave to them as they pull away. What RL does or does not do to adapt to this will be seen in time. In the meanwhile, I'm OK. Tongue
With regards to Flickering Pixelation Artifacts, I almost forgot about this....
I always have seen them on the horizon line in 3DXchange 6&7, but always have dismissed them.  And I have changed graphic cards since iC6.
Interestingly, when I import something in, it freezes while the import process is taking place (the flickering pauses in place), but then its starts once object is imported in the 3DX viewport.
Very similar pattern to the flickering pixelation movement I would see in iClone, it slowed down when I obscured it by placing another application's (ie a web browser's) window in front of iClone, and then speed up again when this other window was minimized or closed.

Just because it's the same thing as what was happening to that blue hair I have in iClone 7, I ask here - anyone see this, in 3DXchange ?:

By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Damn! I never noticed that. Yes, I have it, when the angle is really low as in your video. I suppose the grid is just a plain with opacity map and there... we have the same artifacts.
Do you want to really blow your mind?
Look at this video, Kai had it in his tutorial.  You can see it towards the right, under the horizon line of the grid at 2:12-2:16. 
(watch in HD full screen)
Poor RL...they had it, too!

By illusionLAB - 6 Years Ago
I'm going to go out on a "technical limb" here... but as it looks like compression codec artifacts brought on by the moire of the fine, non anti-aliased, lines.  If this is true, it explains much about the architecture of iClone and associated programs - my theory is based around the idea that the "Real Time" is not "rendering" in the normal sense, but rather "streaming".  If you've ever loaded a heavy scene that only plays at 10 frames per second you will notice that playback never improves if you play it over again (unlike "non real time" software which caches to RAM and subsequent playback is real time to the extent of your memory).  This could also explain a whole bunch of other "problems"... like the size of your viewport affecting the quality of the renders - particularly blurs and flickering - in other words, a "render" could actually just be the system "streaming" in the background whilst "screen capturing" the stream.  The super sampling is merely the same process at a higher resolution which is "down rezzed and filtered" to your render size to try and reduce the "flickering" of fine details.  This would explain why the highest "super sampling" is only 3 (ie. 3 times the size of your render setting).  So, the prospect of improving the output of the 'real time' renderer is largely based on the hardware on which the program runs... in other words, a minimum spec to comfortably run iC at a higher quality would put the system into a whole new stratosphere - which doesn't make sense for a software system in it's price range.  Offline rendering like iRay, Cycles, Octane etc. is the only viable solution with the present technology - the trade off being heavily increased 'render time'.  I could be completely off base, but the flaws of the rendering system all point to something along these lines.
illusionLAB (4/29/2018)
I'm going to go out on a "technical limb" here... but as it looks like compression codec artifacts brought on by the moire of the fine, non anti-aliased, lines.  If this is true, it explains much about the architecture of iClone and associated programs - my theory is based around the idea that the "Real Time" is not "rendering" in the normal sense, but rather "streaming".  If you've ever loaded a heavy scene that only plays at 10 frames per second you will notice that playback never improves if you play it over again (unlike "non real time" software which caches to RAM and subsequent playback is real time to the extent of your memory).  This could also explain a whole bunch of other "problems"... like the size of your viewport affecting the quality of the renders - particularly blurs and flickering - in other words, a "render" could actually just be the system "streaming" in the background whilst "screen capturing" the stream.  The super sampling is merely the same process at a higher resolution which is "down rezzed and filtered" to your render size to try and reduce the "flickering" of fine details.  This would explain why the highest "super sampling" is only 3 (ie. 3 times the size of your render setting).  So, the prospect of improving the output of the 'real time' renderer is largely based on the hardware on which the program runs... in other words, a minimum spec to comfortably run iC at a higher quality would put the system into a whole new stratosphere - which doesn't make sense for a software system in it's price range.  Offline rendering like iRay, Cycles, Octane etc. is the only viable solution with the present technology - the trade off being heavily increased 'render time'.  I could be completely off base, but the flaws of the rendering system all point to something along these lines.

***APPLAUSE***
Thank you for these insights!  Fascinating, I loved reading this.

This is more to blow your mind!:

1) Try making your 3DXchange smaller - you will notice flickering pixelation is reduced, almost to the point of non-visibility...just like iClone when you resize the viewport smaller!

2) Look at this, this is a one of KT's (KelleyToons) video:

a) Watch @4:12 - you see the flickering pixelation right below the center horizon line of 3DXchange, subtle, but you can in fact yes see it.  It is a full-screen 3DXchange
b) Watch as at 4:16 when the buggy is imported, notice the pixelation then 'freezes' (it pauses in placewithout movement, but still is on the screen).  I also noticed this phenomenon in 3DX, and in iClone when I would obscure it with another application's window.
Back in the video, once the buggy is imported, and the angle of the grid changes, and the flickering isn't there, the grid is not overlapping itself.  This is what happens to my Blue Hair prop, similar pattern of behaviour, as differing agles change the presence of the pixelation
c) Go back to 4:10 - the mini-3DXchange (smaller viewport size) had no flickering box pixelation artifacting, which is again consistent with the smaller viewport resizing phenomenon in iClone.

The reason I cite this is because KT does have Win 10, but the pixelation phenomenon is, at minimum, in his 3DXchange.  I would summize it is in his iClone also, just thus far has been obscured some how, where as I am readily looking for it.  

So my theory is that given Kai (RL), KT, 4U2Ges, and me have it, it is a video-proven iClone issue.  
And, given the above I theorize that once I would test in Win 10, I will see it there as well. 
Again, not all of the hairs from Daz I imported into iClone have this issue, just some.  I have not been able to determine a pattern yet why this is. 
But at minimum it is related to Alpha map.

Finally, this Alpha issue seemingly yes affects both Win 7 and Win 10, on some level, if not equal.

Okay...So, give us Iray NOW!  PLEEEEEEASE!.....Pretty Please, with pixelated artifacting flickering sugar cubes on top....

Maybe... but you also might be comparing oranges to cats.

XChange is a 32bit program that almost surely uses DirectX11, and iClone is not anything at all like that.  Indeed, there are so few similarities between the two they might as well be made by separate companies.  I would be surprised to the point of fainting if pixelation you see in XChange has ANYTHING to do at all with what you see in iClone (and, in point of fact, I'm sure that once you go to Win 10 on that same machine you won't experience it anymore -- I'll bet you a dollar).

Jumping to conclusions is fun, but leads to lots of broken bones.
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Just upgraded to the darn thing. It was easier than I thought (still a free upgrade despite MS announcement). Everything seems to be operational. And immediately I noticed the difference opening certain projects. Artifacts are all gone where I usually see them (closeup on certain types of hair). Now back to cleaning and removing all that crap MS put in place...
4u2ges (4/30/2018)
Just upgraded to the darn thing. It was easier than I thought (still a free upgrade despite MS announcement). Everything seems to be operational. And immediately I noticed the difference opening certain projects. Artifacts are all gone where I usually see them (closeup on certain types of hair). Now back to cleaning and removing all that crap MS put in place...

Well how's that for oranges and cats!
You specifically have seen both situations, do you still see the artifacting in 3DX?  Do you notice any other improvements visually, or any other functional improvements.
I know you only just installed, but would love to hear what differences you notice as you are new to Win 10.
I am glad to hear that you see your issues before now gone, that is awesome news!

Tony, I have noticed the flickering of the grid in 3DXchange, but I think that's unrelated to your problem with the hair. Rendering in 3DXchange is still using DX9 as far as I know. I wouldn't really draw any conclusions from the visual quality (or lack thereof) in 3DX.
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
TonyDPrime (4/30/2018)
4u2ges (4/30/2018)

Well how's that for oranges and cats!
You specifically have seen both situations, do you still see the artifacting in 3DX?  Do you notice any other improvements visually, or any other functional improvements.
I know you only just installed, but would love to hear what differences you notice as you are new to Win 10.
I am glad to hear that you see your issues before now gone, that is awesome news!

I was mostly fixing some drivers issues and other minor tweaking. Yes I still see artifacts in 3DX, but as KT and Ani said, it is just an old crappy 32 bit app, so don't pay attention and don't expect much from it.
About the hair off the bat. Just quickly imported Rochelle hair into iClone. Unfortunately I do not have a screenshot from win7 era Smile , but trust me it was horrible. The entire front was practically bald, much like you had it with blue Samira hair. Even consolidating materials would not help. But look at it now, it still has 10 materials as you can see. So upgrade soon.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4deb9bcb-d7ad-45e7-b22d-84aa.jpg

4u2ges (4/30/2018)

I was mostly fixing some drivers issues and other minor tweaking. Yes I still see artifacts in 3DX, but as KT and Ani said, it is just an old crappy 32 bit app, so don't pay attention and don't expect much from it.
About the hair off the bat. Just quickly imported Rochelle hair into iClone. Unfortunately I do not have a screenshot from win7 era Smile , but trust me it was horrible. The entire front was practically bald, much like you had it with blue Samira hair. Even consolidating materials would not help. But look at it now, it still has 10 materials as you can see. So upgrade soon.

That's so awesome!  I am definitely going to update soon.  Did it also fix that scene you had with the red and blue boxes, (you had it in this forum).
Will it fix the issue that Animagic had? (I don't know if he is Win 10..) 

By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
TonyDPrime (4/30/2018)

That's so awesome!  I am definitely going to update soon.  Did it also fix that scene you had with the red and blue boxes, (you had it in this forum).

Nope, it did not and it will not. It is something different. Workaround for iClone particles, as Toystorylab mentioned, is to set Blend mode to "Addition".
But then it only works with DOF being ON and camera focused on a character or semi-transparent object (like boxes I had).
For PopcornFX, there is no such a blend mode ("Additive" is something different). So the only way is to play with hair/object alpha threshold (most hated control I suppose).
4u2ges (4/30/2018)
TonyDPrime (4/30/2018)

Nope, it did not and it will not. It is something different. Workaround for iClone particles, as Toystorylab mentioned, is to set Blend mode to "Addition".
But then it only works with DOF being ON and camera focused on a character or semi-transparent object (like boxes I had).
For PopcornFX, there is no such a blend mode ("Additive" is something different). So the only way is to play with hair/object alpha threshold (most hated control I suppose).

Was there any success with resizing viewport in this case?  I haven't tested this stuff myself, but am trying to apply line of thought as to what architectural issue could be at play here.
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
TonyDPrime (5/1/2018)

Was there any success with resizing viewport in this case?  I haven't tested this stuff myself, but am trying to apply line of thought as to what architectural issue could be at play here.

No, It is totally different issue Tony - not an artifacts bug and is irrelevant to the viewport size. Rampa mentioned z-sort confusion/fight. Very well might be.
I would like to try that scene, or a simple scene to see what's up with it.  Can you link it (PM if you could) or describe, I see you have a particle and then PopcornFX, and then 2 shapes.  I wasn't really sure what it is you wanted to see vs not wanting to see.  Was it that you want to see a transparent cube in front of a particle that is behind PopcornFX?...
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
I did not save that project Tony. It was actually based on Animagic's project (you can download it here: https://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost366647.aspx ).

I just hid Jade and added a cube and a billboard (I added a billboard thinking it might get a priority - but NO)  in the front of the iClone particles smoke, then I've added PopcordFX smoke right next to the iClone smoke.
And that was it. Given that DOF is OFF, whenever you set opacity for the cube or the billboard to less than 100%, they simply disappear when any smoke is behind it.
Also see Toystorylab replies.
Bezzer (4/23/2018)
raxel_67 (4/12/2018)

Same issue with speedtrees, but deleting temp files doesn't work for me either :-( 

If you still have problems with Speedtrees not displaying, please PM me and I can give you a new test version to try which will hopefully resolve the problem.
Thank you all for the continued feedback. Please do remember to report non-critical issues on the Feedback Tracker and for serious issues that prevent you using the software normally, please do contact Technical Support using the link below. Thanks.

https://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/UserEx/QForm.html
toystorylab (4/29/2018)
animagic (4/27/2018)

If you change the Blend Mode from "Big Smoke" from "Alpha" to "Addition" the problem does not occur:
(A few changes were made to the diffuse map of "Big Smoke" and the oppacity of one Particle key so the smoke is not so "white"...)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ym5l9i58xuo644t/Hair%20and%20smoke%20and%20DOF%20XXX.iProject?dl=0

Thanks, I hadn't seen your suggestion...Blush
There is one thing I now know. 
If I ever meet or hear of a woman who remarks about herself having thinning hair, I will know I can recommend that she update to Windows 10.
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
OK, next bug...
Need a confirmation before creating an FT entry.

1. Bring any character to the scene and move it away from the center.
2. Hide any item of character's clothing
3. Select a character and look at the yellow bounding. It would be stretched all the way to the center. Thus impossible to navigate camera around a character.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c6de7d80-6957-48bd-b54b-4a48.jpg
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
TonyDPrime (5/1/2018)
There is one thing I now know. 
If I ever meet or hear of a woman who remarks about herself having thinning hair, I will know I can recommend that she update to Windows 10.

Smile
4u2ges (5/1/2018)
OK, next bug...

3. Select a character and look at the yellow bounding. It would be stretched all the way to the center. Thus impossible to navigate camera around a character.

It doesn't happen with all clothing -- basic bra and panties, for example, don't cause any issues when hidden.  Nor does any hair I tried. 

But a custom clothing Item I had created definitely made things weird -- I didn't even get a bounding box at all (so not even stretched across -- the avatar selected just had no yellow lines until after I unhid the item).  I'm going to guess it has to do with the item of clothing itself -- might need to be recentered or something.  I'll do some more tests.
By Rampa - 6 Years Ago
@ 4u2ges

Check the timeline track for the clothing article, and delete any key or motion you see there. Often times when you drag a character, the clothing get's left behind. Removing the key, clip, whatever will snap it back onto the character properly.
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
No guys, it is a fresh project started from CC, when I pushed her to iClone - no animation. She is wearing all the default CC cloth items (except stockings). ALL items including eyes and teeth (but not hair) are causing this problem:

Yeah, Rampa, I can duplicate this -- it's a definite bug, at least with exporting a character from CC and hiding a clothing item (I have not tried just importing an avatar from iClone itself).  Something in the hide where iClone is trying to manage resources is screwing things up greatly.
By Rampa - 6 Years Ago
Happens with a character loaded direct from the iC Content Manager as well. Strange, as the Gizmo still shows up in the proper place under the character's feet, not centered under the larger box. Seems to make the box bigger in both x and y.
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Thanks for testing.   FT 3897

Regarding a gizmo. I suppose it works that way. Even if you attach a prop (which is far away) to the character, the bounding would stretch, but the gizmo would still stay with the character. Looks as if they are moving hidden cloth to the center for some reason.
It also occurs with built-in CC characters (I tried Natalie).
By wires - 6 Years Ago
I'm getting the same results on my system.
I get the same result with all CC avatars
(self created and RL CC Natalie, Christian, Zane, Jade, Watson etc)
Greets from Germany
Postfrosch (Werner)
I believe this has already been mentioned, but I find 7.21 actually slower. Rendering is slower, and I have one older project where it is impossible to make any timeline changes.

At first I thought it perhaps was my Nvidia driver (I had 397.31), but going back to 391.35 didn't make a difference.

EDIT: Slower rendering was actually caused by MSI Afterburner not running causing the GPU to throttle. This is getting technical, but Afterburner always me to set the GPU power limit at 110% allowing more juice before throttling.

EDIT 2: It seems to be the particular project I was working on that caused unresponsiveness. Which is weird because I have a project with the same components (representing a follow-up scene) that responds normally. The only difference is an additional, female character; may be that's why...Blush
animagic (5/5/2018)
I believe this has already been mentioned, but I find 7.21 actually slower. Rendering is slower, and I have one older project where it is impossible to make any timeline changes.

At first I thought it perhaps was my Nvidia driver (I had 397.31), but going back to 391.35 didn't make a difference.

EDIT: Slower rendering was actually caused by MSI Afterburner not running causing the GPU to throttle. This is getting technical, but Afterburner always me to set the GPU power limit at 110% allowing more juice before throttling.

EDIT 2: It seems to be the particular project I was working on that caused unresponsiveness. Which is weird because I have a project with the same components (representing a follow-up scene) that responds normally. The only difference is an additional, female character; may be that's why...Blush

Interesting - Maybe this is why Iray will have an Iray Render Action button, to allow an external instance of Iray to run independent of iClone.
Otherwise, you could have iClone eating GPU resources, especially when using GI,  while trying to have iRay use it for rendering (if 1 GPU).

Okay, so I updated to Win 10 and....
Hair is amazing, fluffy and smooth, no artifacts!

Now, when I use 3DX, I do see the flickering still....but yeah, it doesn't matter.  And really, iClone 'renders' the issue a moot point because you don't see it under Direct X 12, even if theoretically still there in iClone.  

Unfortunately, in Win 10, HDR Bloom Rings are still there.  Was hoping that might go away too, but no dice. 

But - Thanks to KT and 4U2ges for pushing me to move into the 21st Century....or 22nd...whatever makes sense!....Smile

Glad you got it working for you.

I stayed on 7 for a long time -- resisted 8, but finally went there (with 8.1) and was happy.  Did not even wait but upgraded to 10 right away and was happy as well.  In my old age I just kind of go with the flow (my philosophy was always "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" but things are moving too fast for me now to stay even slightly behind in technlogy).
Kelleytoons (5/8/2018)
Glad you got it working for you.

I stayed on 7 for a long time -- resisted 8, but finally went there (with 8.1) and was happy.  Did not even wait but upgraded to 10 right away and was happy as well.  In my old age I just kind of go with the flow (my philosophy was always "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" but things are moving too fast for me now to stay even slightly behind in technlogy).

I feel the same sentiments, don't mess with what's working.  In the iPad world, a lot of times updating an app historically has meant losing functionality you had before.  I hate that.
Now, in this case there was a clear appreciable gain to be had for me, albeit Iray probably wouldn't have cared...I'm thinking it will render even flickering artifacting hair just fine, as did Indigo and Octane in Win 7. 
But, you know what, speaking of rendering - RTX and realtime raytracing will be coming soon in some way shape or form to us, and if I want to experience that, I'm betting I definitely will need Win10 & DX12. 
So on that end, you saved me the hassle of discovering later I need to upgrade...thanks for that also!
By Terry Miller - 6 Years Ago
I am having a problem cleaning up visemes. It used to be that you could scrub along the timeline and get JUST the syllable that was there, and so you had no problems placing the visemes exactly where you wanted them. With 7.21, I scrub three frames, and what I am getting is entire words, so it is next to impossible to know exactly where visemes are supposed to go. It is like I need to zoom into the timeline closer, except that I am as close as I can get. I am completely unable to cleanup visemes with the current version of iClone. I am having to use version 6.54, because that is the last one I have, and allows me to place the visemes exactly where I want them. I have searched the forums, and I have not seen where anyone else has this problem; am I the only one experiencing it?
Terry Miller (5/8/2018)
I am having a problem cleaning up visemes. It used to be that you could scrub along the timeline and get JUST the syllable that was there, and so you had no problems placing the visemes exactly where you wanted them. With 7.21, I scrub three frames, and what I am getting is entire words, so it is next to impossible to know exactly where visemes are supposed to go. It is like I need to zoom into the timeline closer, except that I am as close as I can get. I am completely unable to cleanup visemes with the current version of iClone. I am having to use version 6.54, because that is the last one I have, and allows me to place the visemes exactly where I want them. I have searched the forums, and I have not seen where anyone else has this problem; am I the only one experiencing it?

I checked this with a project I've just created and I do get syllables when scrubbing.
Can anyone bake hdrs? no matter what i do i always end up with a black image, seems like the latest update broke it
By Terry Miller - 6 Years Ago
animagic (5/8/2018)

I checked this with a project I've just created and I do get syllables when scrubbing.

Thanks for checking it out. That is very strange. I came home and checked my setup on my laptop, and, yes, it likewise scrubs syllables just fine. Frustrating.
raxel_67 (5/8/2018)
Can anyone bake hdrs? no matter what i do i always end up with a black image, seems like the latest update broke it

I have the same problem. Always black even with a lot of lighting. Looks indeed like a bug.
Thanks for checking, my iclone only works properly if i launch it as admin, so i was unsure if this was me or not, will open a feedback tracker issue
So, just when I thought it was safe to roll around in silky smooth Daz Hair with Windows 10, I encountered the Opacity issue with PopcornFX....
I get a whole new Opacity issue now to yap about!

currently there are two ways to get around the opacity issue, use alpha threshold and pray, or compositing. This has happened since ic 6 (well that was my first iclone, probably happened in prior versions too)
wires (4/13/2018)
@Jfrog,

I can't reproduce your issue, but while testing I noticed something else regarding turning visibility On and Off.

With a Prop selected in a scene I can change the visibility either using the "Eye" icon in the Scene Manager, or the one in the Main Menu bar:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/9cbfb2ae-643e-424a-8db1-b666.png

However with Trees the only option to change visibility is to use the "Eye" icon in the Scene Manager. As soon as a Tree is selected in a scene the icon on the Main Menu bar is disabled:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4cfff08c-0fbe-440b-bdc0-8f29.png

Hi Gerry,

These two features do work differently.

""Eye"" icon in Scene Manager > Show / Hide: In production, show or hide the status switch doesn't set a key.
""Eye"" icon in Toolbar  > Visible/ Invisible: Sets visible /invisible key at a specific time as required by the project.

Note: Speedtree's do not support visible key switch, so the toolbar is disabled.
Okay...IT'S TIME NOW, RL.

FIXXY-FIXXY TIME.

Give us some anti-aliasing between the iris and sclera on the Genesis models.  And the outer part of the cornea.
It's always jagged, as in the mesh connection points. 
The rest of the models are smooth and look amazing, but the connections between the iris and sclera, and the cornea edges, look... 
TERRIBLE Sick

Thx

By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Thanks for latest updates and fixes. Nonetheless, every time I update, I'm scared to open older projects and find something is getting messed up.
No exception this time. Yes, I am still talking about a water mirror Smile. I reported objects opacity issues and a mirror in v7.1. That was fixed. 
This time around it's a Glow map.

Background plain with San-Francisco view has no glow in this one:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/48b23859-8fbf-463a-aa5a-b51a.jpg

Now look what happens if I boost the glow even by 1%. It rips through like there is nothing else in front of it. Got to visit FT again:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/bcd6a61e-59ec-49cf-a830-eb8f.jpg
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
When I said yesterday I am scared to open older projects I did mean it. Just now this one almost gave me a heart attack.
Common guys, if I need a zombie character I will make one myself. I do not need your assistance in this matter in a form of a new update.
Fix the shit, please!!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1f73f42e-b7bc-4c3e-9448-b418.jpg

4u2ges (5/1/2018)
OK, next bug...

UPDATE: This is a confirmed issue in iClone 7.21. We plan to fix it in the 7.3 update. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
raxel_67 (5/8/2018)

Hi Raxel,

Thank you for reporting this issue. To help us pinpoint the cause of the problem, please can you try exporting a 360 degree panoramic image. Is this normal or is this also black? Thanks.

@animagic - can you please try the same test. Thanks.
4u2ges (5/30/2018)
When I said yesterday I am scared to open older projects I did mean it. Just now this one almost gave me a heart attack.
Common guys, if I need a zombie character I will make one myself. I do not need your assistance in this matter in a form of a new update.
Fix the shit, please!!

Hi...

Sorry to hear you are having some issues.

For problems related to custom projects, please can you supply us with a link to the project. You can use cloud services like Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive etc. to make the link available to us. You can then either send it to Support or add it to your Feedback Tracker entry (or PM me the link if you prefer). Thanks.
4u2ges (5/30/2018)
Fix the shit, please!!

THIS...I want to see rendered in IRAY
Peter (RL) (5/30/2018)
raxel_67 (5/8/2018)

Hi Raxel,

Thank you for reporting this issue. To help us pinpoint the cause of the problem, please can you try exporting a 360 degree panoramic image. Is this normal or is this also black? Thanks.

@animagic - can you please try the same test. Thanks.

Peter, 360-degree image export works fine.
Thanks animagic, i have been stuck at work since friday and haven't gone home since then and haven't got the chance to reply with the requested images.

By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (5/30/2018)

Hi...

Sorry to hear you are having some issues.

For problems related to custom projects, please can you supply us with a link to the project. You can use cloud services like Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive etc. to make the link available to us. You can then either send it to Support or add it to your Feedback Tracker entry (or PM me the link if you prefer). Thanks.

Hi Peter,

Sorry, I was very upset yesterday,
Please see PM

Thanks
By dogged2003 - 6 Years Ago
Curve editor.
I can not synchronize the movements.
Do not enter the "point".
The numeric value after the period does not work.
Issue 3932 

By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Same project where characters turned to zombies would crash viewport constantly. Spent all evening trying to figure out. Here it is what I have found:

A billboard with opacity map AND all shadows disabled would crash the viewport.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start a new project
2. Add a billboard
3. Add any opacity map to billboard material
4. Set "No shadows" for billboard

Give it 5 second or less... and viewport stops responding. Minimize/Maximize iClone window and viewport turns white.
You can still save the project or do some other tasks though.

What interesting, is that heavy loaded project with above billboard would not crash right away. You can work with it for a long time before viewport stops responding. That is why I had a hard time identifying the problem.

Curve Editor
"Frame" does not work if one value.
If you select Transformation - Position X - Frame, the value is not positioned in the center. If you can not see it, you can not see it at all.
Issue 3934

Peter (RL)

Hello! A new version 7.22 has been released, the bugs are not all fixed. We have to duplicate errors in the new forum thread, and duplicate for the new version in Feedback Tracker?
Thank you.
dogged2003 (6/4/2018)
Peter (RL)

Hello! A new version 7.22 has been released, the bugs are not all fixed. We have to duplicate errors in the new forum thread, and duplicate for the new version in Feedback Tracker?
Thank you.

The primary purpose of the 7.22 update is to add support for Motion Live. However it does also include a number of bug fixes which are explained HERE. Other known issues will be fixed in the next larger 7.3 update. So if you have previously reported any issues that are not fixed in 7.22, you do not have to report them again in the Feedback Tracker.
Why does "Modifying and Fixing Motions" disable "Align Actor Motion"?
A lot of questions about the movements of actors.
My series of questions and tickets. Let's make iClone the best!
Let's put the actor in an arbitrary position.
Note:
"Animation >> Motion Setting Options >> Align Actor Motion"
Let us apply the motion.
Modifying and Fixing Motions
The action "Align Actor Motion" was canceled. Error! I did not order this.
Issue 3941

Thank you.
This is not a full screen in iClone 7.22:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/dcbb692f-8a36-43fa-9733-5bd5.jpg

Here is the full screen in video pleer (there is no WINDOWS menu!)

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fab77211-50db-42f2-a758-609b.jpg
By wires - 6 Years Ago
This is full screen on my system:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ca7a87b5-c25e-4c1a-b089-211a.png

No Taskbar visible.
Added:

And here's Full screen with the Menu Bar turned off - Ctrl+F11:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/16aa1771-bdbb-4527-b594-7ebd.png

wires (6/5/2018)
This is full screen on my system:

Perfectly! I want the same.
I have two displays. These settings:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/908d5083-9595-4590-9204-8385.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c696d1d0-bfd3-48fa-b7ff-0ec3.jpg

By Rogue Anime - 6 Years Ago
I'm running 5 displays & I have no problems there with iClone - HOWEVER - It WOULD be nice if we could increase the size of the alternative camera viewport to full screen for those of us running multiple monitors.   ~V~
7.22 shrunk the interface again!  Sigh -- why do the devs (all of whom are very young with good eyes) think we need a SMALLER interface?

I'm going to see if the manifest trick will still work but I'm not hopeful (I didn't have to do the manifest thing with 7.21 because the largest icon size was fine on my machine.  But now I can barely see things even on my 28" dual monitors).
The size of the Motion Puppet window.
I have several screens.
It would be convenient to resize the Motion Puppet window. And the controls must be redistributed throughout the window, for quick access.
Thanks to Roberto, we can put the motion of iMotion in "Motion Puppet".
I propose improvements:
All movements in "Motion Puppet".
"Motion Puppet" understands the extensions of iMotion and rlMotion.
Gizmo must behave in accordance with the menu of Animation-Motions Settings Options.
Issue 3947

The full screen function does not overlap the Windows system menu.
Run iClone.
Press Ctrl+7, Ctrl+F11.
The Windows system menu is on the screen. The video player in full screen mode overrides the Windows system menu.

Issue 3951
By wires - 6 Years Ago
dogged2003 (6/9/2018)
Run iClone.
Press Ctrl+7, Ctrl+F11.
The Windows system menu is on the screen. The video player in full screen mode overrides the Windows system menu.

Issue 3951

As I have already demonstrated in this post, it is working as expected on my system.
wires (6/9/2018)
dogged2003 (6/9/2018)
Run iClone.
Press Ctrl+7, Ctrl+F11.

Issue 3951

As I have already demonstrated in this post, it is working as expected on my system.

It does not work for me.
dogged2003 (6/9/2018)It does not work for me.

Dog - Maybe it's some sort of system configuration issue, both these view modes work perfectly for me. (HAH! now I gotta turn it OFF!Laugh)
I noticed a # of issues some people are having on this thread are not an issue for me - others are. It's quite possible many of these bugs appear or behave differently for different folks depending on how their systems are configured, is a (nearly educated) guess from my observations so far. Maybe there are NO bugs, only systems it wasn't totally designed to run 100% on.. (riiiiight! lolLaughRolleyes)  ~V~

Rogue Anime (6/9/2018)
dogged2003 (6/9/2018)It does not work for me.

Dog - Maybe it's some sort of system configuration issue, both these view modes work perfectly for me. (HAH! now I gotta turn it OFF!:laughSmile
I noticed a # of issues some people are having on this thread are not an issue for me - others are. It's quite possible many of these bugs appear or behave differently for different folks depending on how their systems are configured, is a (nearly educated) guess from my observations so far. Maybe there are NO bugs, only systems it wasn't totally designed to run 100% on.. (riiiiight! lolLaugh:rolleyesSmile  ~V~

What are your settings for TaskBar in Windows? What version of Windows?
Thank you.
Dogged - I am using 'Windows 7 Professional' issue. Default desktop, taskbar on bottom of screen #1 (I use 5) ~V~
By wires - 6 Years Ago
Taskbar and Windows version:
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d496dda6-069f-4229-a104-e849.png

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/00308292-653c-4cb7-95c9-6cc4.png

Here's the full-screenshot on my Windows 7 machine, as it should be. Lucked out on this issue  ~V~
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c0f3ac22-250d-4106-ac4e-26d5.png
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Another mess... This time with PopcornFX. Basically 2 effects of the same kind cannot coexist and be visible if they occupy the same space.
This was WORKING before the update (not sure whether it is iClone, or PopcornFX plugin update causes the issue).

Here is my shower made from 2 mesh emitters. One is the main shower "stream" and another for small "splashes".
They used be at the same location - right by the shower head and work perfectly.
Now, I intentionally moved "splashes" away for this demo and then joined with main "stream".
As you can see there is little "fight" going on for a while as they intersect. And then "stream" consumes the "splashes" and mutates. Extremely frustrating!

FT 3952

dogged2003 (6/9/2018)
Run iClone.
Press Ctrl+7, Ctrl+F11.

Issue 3951

As others have mentioned this is not an iClone issue but is likely a local system display issue.

You should be able to overcome it by turning on "Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode". 
Kelleytoons (6/5/2018)
7.22 shrunk the interface again!  Sigh -- why do the devs (all of whom are very young with good eyes) think we need a SMALLER interface?

I'm going to see if the manifest trick will still work but I'm not hopeful (I didn't have to do the manifest thing with 7.21 because the largest icon size was fine on my machine.  But now I can barely see things even on my 28" dual monitors).

Have you tried setting the "Icon and Font Size" in Preferences (CTRL+P) to the largest available? This should be suitable even for 4K screens?
Of course I have, Peter.

But the problem, as usual, is your lack of beta testers.  You most likely made it work for 4K screens, but that's not what I have.  I have a regular old HD screen, and for those of us visually challenged even using the largest font size doesn't make things nearly big enough (and I even have Windows resizing things to 150%).  Somehow whatever routine they are using made things smaller for those of us without 4K by fixing the 4K issue.

These kinds of things would CLEARLY show up (some pun intended) if you just had a variety of folks using your program actually TESTING it before you released it.  Obviously there are many of us who find issues immediately that should never have left beta.  I've been in programming for over three decades and I have never seen such a mismanaged beta process as there is at RL.
I have to agree with Kelley, that menu font size has shrunken going from 7.21 to 7.22 for no apparent reason. It looked kind of smallish to me, and Kelley's post confirmed that I wasn't imagining. It should just be brought back to what it was for 7.21 (when the 4K problem was fixed). I have a 43" 4K monitor and even for me it is small although I can read it. Still, but for how long...Unsure

I have to emphasize again that it is crucial to do regression testing. Too often we find that something that was fixed in one version is then messed up again in the next. 
TonyDPrime (5/28/2018)
Okay...IT'S TIME NOW, RL.

FIXXY-FIXXY TIME.

Give us some anti-aliasing between the iris and sclera on the Genesis models.  And the outer part of the cornea.
It's always jagged, as in the mesh connection points. 
The rest of the models are smooth and look amazing, but the connections between the iris and sclera, and the cornea edges, look... 
TERRIBLE Sick

Thx

Thanks for the feedback.

We will look to improve on this issue in the 7.3/7.4 upgrades.

For now please try adjusting the Texture as in the image below. ( "Sclera" / Roughness,  Adjust Color >  Brightness to 30, )

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6885a464-43c7-4089-b19f-62b3.png

TonyDPrime (5/9/2018)
So, just when I thought it was safe to roll around in silky smooth Daz Hair with Windows 10, I encountered the Opacity issue with PopcornFX....
I get a whole new Opacity issue now to yap about!

As others have already suggested, please try using Alpha Threshold to reduce or eliminate the problem for now. We will look to resolve this issue in a future upgrade.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/2a47c102-59f1-47d7-beb4-c592.png

Kelleytoons (6/11/2018)
Of course I have, Peter. But the problem, as usual, is your lack of beta testers.  You most likely made it work for 4K screens, but that's not what I have.  I have a regular old HD screen, and for those of us visually challenged even using the largest font size doesn't make things nearly big enough (and I even have Windows resizing things to 150%).  Somehow whatever routine they are using made things smaller for those of us without 4K by fixing the 4K issue. 

These kinds of things would CLEARLY show up (some pun intended) if you just had a variety of folks using your program actually TESTING it before you released it.  Obviously there are many of us who find issues immediately that should never have left beta.  I've been in programming for over three decades and I have never seen such a mismanaged beta process as there is at RL.

animagic (6/11/2018)
I have to agree with Kelley, that menu font size has shrunken going from 7.21 to 7.22 for no apparent reason. It looked kind of smallish to me, and Kelley's post confirmed that I wasn't imagining. It should just be brought back to what it was for 7.21 (when the 4K problem was fixed). I have a 43" 4K monitor and even for me it is small although I can read it. Still, but for how long...Unsure 

I have to emphasize again that it is crucial to do regression testing. Too often we find that something that was fixed in one version is then messed up again in the next.

Hmmm... that is strange. I have tested on a standard HD screen and 4K and don't notice any difference from 7.21

In fact if I put it on the largest Icon and Font size it is super large as can be seen from the screenshot below. However I will pass both your feedback to the dev team so they can investigate.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e0ee906d-1e13-4989-a8c1-77da.png
Peter,

Sigh.  When you say something like "look at this screen shot -- it's super large" it makes me doubt, again, what folks you have testing your stuff.  That screenshot you posted is nowhere near as large as 7.21 was, which I would expect most people to notice.  It's not half the size of 7.21, it's about 10-15% smaller, but that should be something you can see.  I'm trying really hard here not to be insulting, Peter.  Some folks "see but do not observe", but it just seems like that's all you have on your beta team.

It's particularly noticeable on things like the info display in the upper left corner, in yellow.  But it's everywhere (everywhere else it might only be about 10% smaller).   But for those of us with old eyes it's a problem.

If necessary, I will install 7.21 on a machine to show you (except... can I?  I don't even know if that's possible anymore).  But I'm not imagining things, I can promise you that (then again, I'm a trained observer in such details, having worked in the industry for many, many decades.  Just forgive me for restating the obvious -- you don't have such folks on your beta team).
Kelleytoons (6/13/2018)
Peter,

I'm trying really hard here not to be insulting, Peter.  Some folks "see but do not observe", but it just seems like that's all you have on your beta team.

Hi KT,

I can only be honest in my opinion. As you may imagine I look at iClone most days and I honestly can't say I noticed a difference after the upgrade. I'm not saying there wasn't one but it was not enough for me to notice it. That may be because I often switch between computers with different resolutions but I will definitely check to see if a change was made and will pass on your feedback. Smile
Thanks.

(I assume they will have 7.21 available to compare, unlike the rest of us.  That should do it).
dogged2003 (6/5/2018)
A lot of questions about the movements of actors.
My series of questions and tickets. Let's make iClone the best!
Let's put the actor in an arbitrary position.
Note:
"Animation >> Motion Setting Options >> Align Actor Motion"
Let us apply the motion.
Modifying and Fixing Motions
The action "Align Actor Motion" was canceled. Error! I did not order this.
Issue 3941

Thank you.

UPDATE: This has been confirmed as a defect in 7.22 and will be fixed in the 7.3 update. 
I know something is in the works with FBX cams from iClone for 7.3, but I wanted to show my findings in case it revealed some additional info.

Basically, it seems that zooming in on a cam in iClone, like if you use the middle mouse button to zoom at some point in the timeline, it will result in a warping of that frame in an exported FBX.  The front-most object will not track the same. 
Meaning, if set a cam and export that frames out, the frames get weird then in the receiving application if you had zoomed in with the iClone cam, to the point where it does not match exactly geo-wise then when rendered 
(...I think...either zoom or pan, or something related to having zoomed in with the camera causes this)
BTW - This occurs in the same frame whether in Max I use 30 FPS, or a matching 60 FPS

Here is an FBX to 3DS Max
(1) Panning, but No zoom action - the same frame matches in 3ds Max
-iClone
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b3b6a2e1-125d-41eb-a390-ad0d.jpg

-3DS Max
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5113409f-1cf3-462a-85d1-de2a.jpg

(2) Panning, and Zoom in iClone - the same frame no longer matches exactly in 3DS Max
-iClone 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/15c790c1-a74b-4379-88f0-2495.jpg

-3DS Max
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ec534c44-5b86-49f0-9b04-6e36.jpg
Peter (RL) (6/11/2018)You should be able to overcome it by turning on "Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode". 

Why should I do this? Other programs do this for me. The proposed settings are not convenient for me.
Thank you.
Kelleytoons (6/13/2018)
Peter,

Sigh.  When you say something like "look at this screen shot -- it's super large" it makes me doubt, again, what folks you have testing your stuff.  That screenshot you posted is nowhere near as large as 7.21 was, which I would expect most people to notice.  It's not half the size of 7.21, it's about 10-15% smaller, but that should be something you can see.  I'm trying really hard here not to be insulting, Peter.  Some folks "see but do not observe", but it just seems like that's all you have on your beta team.

It's particularly noticeable on things like the info display in the upper left corner, in yellow.  But it's everywhere (everywhere else it might only be about 10% smaller).   But for those of us with old eyes it's a problem.

If necessary, I will install 7.21 on a machine to show you (except... can I?  I don't even know if that's possible anymore).  But I'm not imagining things, I can promise you that (then again, I'm a trained observer in such details, having worked in the industry for many, many decades.  Just forgive me for restating the obvious -- you don't have such folks on your beta team).

Hi KT,

I have discussed with the dev team and they confirmed there was no changes made in iClone 7.22 that should have affected the icon and font size. They also like me were also unable to reproduce the problem. Because this remains a mystery, please can you open your Display Settings (right click desktop) and check the "Scale and Layout" settings. Are you perhaps using a custom setting that may be having an adverse affect on the icon and font size in iClone?

Also can you post a full size screenshot showing how the UI looks on your screen at the highest icon and font setting. Thanks.
Yes, as I've mentioned a couple of dozen times, I use 150% scale settings (always have).  So perhaps they can just do this and then they will see the difference (IOW, using these settings is the only way I can see most of what is on my screen but something in iClone changed so that the text got smaller with using custom settings).
TonyDPrime (6/25/2018)
I know something is in the works with FBX cams from iClone for 7.3, but I wanted to show my findings in case it revealed some additional info.

Basically, it seems that zooming in on a cam in iClone, like if you use the middle mouse button to zoom at some point in the timeline, it will result in a warping of that frame in an exported FBX.  The front-most object will not track the same. 
Meaning, if set a cam and export that frames out, the frames get weird then in the receiving application if you had zoomed in with the iClone cam, to the point where it does not match exactly geo-wise then when rendered 
(...I think...either zoom or pan, or something related to having zoomed in with the camera causes this)
BTW - This occurs in the same frame whether in Max I use 30 FPS, or a matching 60 FPS

Here is an FBX to 3DS Max
(1) Panning, but No zoom action - the same frame matches in 3ds Max
-iClone
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b3b6a2e1-125d-41eb-a390-ad0d.jpg

-3DS Max
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5113409f-1cf3-462a-85d1-de2a.jpg

(2) Panning, and Zoom in iClone - the same frame no longer matches exactly in 3DS Max
-iClone 
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/15c790c1-a74b-4379-88f0-2495.jpg

-3DS Max
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ec534c44-5b86-49f0-9b04-6e36.jpg

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the feedback. Could you please let us have the project that you used for your tests. This will allow us to check in 7.3 that the issue is correctly resolved.

You can send me a PM with the download link if you wish to keep the project private. Thanks. Smile
Kelleytoons (6/27/2018)
Yes, as I've mentioned a couple of dozen times, I use 150% scale settings (always have).  So perhaps they can just do this and then they will see the difference (IOW, using these settings is the only way I can see most of what is on my screen but something in iClone changed so that the text got smaller with using custom settings).

Hi KT,

Thank you for supplying more information. As we didn't make any intentional changes that would have caused the icon and font size difference, it appears a local issue due to your scaling settings. We will certainly keep an eye on this for future updates and look to add further options for scaling within iClone itself.
Maybe I'm not quite understanding you, Peter -- yes, you didn't do any "intentional" changes, but whatever changes you made DID have the effect of changing the scaling which I always use.  So it's not "local" to my machine (because no other program changed the sizes).

(And you might have noticed I'm not the only one who mentioned this -- so others *have* this problem as well).

By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
So I finally went ahead and made the video of the "add to perform" bug (where number of static frames are added to the beginning of the clip) with workaround until it fixed (hopefully I am not the only one who is having this problem - or may be vise versa Smile )

FT 3981

Kelleytoons (7/2/2018)
Maybe I'm not quite understanding you, Peter -- yes, you didn't do any "intentional" changes, but whatever changes you made DID have the effect of changing the scaling which I always use.  So it's not "local" to my machine (because no other program changed the sizes).

(And you might have noticed I'm not the only one who mentioned this -- so others *have* this problem as well).

As far as I recall it was only yourself and animagic who mentioned this issue. As we have not been able to reproduce the same issue, and we have not had any widespread reports of the problem, it does not seem to be a bug or change that is affecting everyone. That is why I referred to it as a local issue.
So you're saying the techs can't reproduce the issue even with Windows set to scale at, say 150 or 175%?  At least originally you implied that this was not tested (or why ask if that was what I had my machine set to?).

I will grant you that *most* folks do not rescale their monitors, but I'm guessing that any who do will have this issue (and it's not something that just jumps out at you -- it's more a case of "well, that is smaller than it used to be").  I see it on all three of my machines that had iClone installed (even my laptop, which no longer has it since I moved that particular license over to my new machine).  So, unlikely to be a local issue unless you are saying it's local to my house <g>.
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Spotlight or Shadow Caster with blunt beam angles generate patterned stripes on objects.

Finally took some time to submit to FT (3986) the issue, which was bugging me for some time. Sample project is at FT as well.

Here is a video shows that only Spotlight and Shadow Caster with Soft Shadow on, are causing this problem, while Direct light and Direct shadow do not.
At the end there is some temporary workaround until RL hopefully fix it.

Enjoy instrumental too Smile

4u2ges (7/20/2018)
Spotlight or Shadow Caster with blunt beam angles generate patterned stripes on objects.

Finally took some time to submit to FT (3986) the issue, which was bugging me for some time. Sample project is at FT as well.

Here is a video shows that only Spotlight and Shadow Caster with Soft Shadow on, are causing this problem, while Direct light and Direct shadow do not.

Excellent work!  Thank you.

(Yes, I enjoyed the relaxing music, too.)

By RobertoColombo - 6 Years Ago
Hi all,

before submitting a ticket I wanna check here if the following issue has been already reported.
So, the problem is the following: I create a path and the new path appear in the scene window.
From this point, if I click over the name of the path in the scene window, then the new path simply disappear!
The way to keep it is to press F2 to make its name edit-able, then insert a new name and confirm.
This way the path remains.

Anybody else experienced the same ? Was it already reported ?

Cheers

Roberto
Roberto,

I don't use paths at all, but if I were you I'd hold off on reporting this.  Kai announced that one thing that was improved greatly in the next release was paths.  The way he described it, it sounds like they've been completely reworked.  So at the very least I'd wait for 7.3 (which should be imminent IIRC) and see if you can reproduce your problem.
By illusionLAB - 6 Years Ago

I think you may have uncovered the mystery with your workaround... it's the 'plane' casting a shadow on itself - which explains why the lines are closer together closer to the light (and further apart as the angle increases).
Beware, the "solution" will probably be "if you see these artifacts, just disable the "cast shadows" on the affected object".
By a.misfit.production - 6 Years Ago
 Faceware and iClone are not connecting???
      Has anybody have this problem? I've tried resolving the issue on two different PC's and no luck. Faceware opens  and calibrates  but will say iClone: No connection.  iClone opens and captures body mocap but  it doesn't give me the Face mocap option. I can open the Motion live plugin but it will give an error of no connection with Faceware. All this is wierd since I was able to run Faceware just fine in trial versions on both PC's. I've also tried disarming the computers defenses, I've unistalled  and reinstalled even after repeating the process after cleaning the temp folders and registries.  

ANY IDEAS??? SadSadSad
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
illusionLAB (7/25/2018)

I think you may have uncovered the mystery with your workaround... it's the 'plane' casting a shadow on itself - which explains why the lines are closer together closer to the light (and further apart as the angle increases).
Beware, the "solution" will probably be "if you see these artifacts, just disable the "cast shadows" on the affected object".

That is quite a possibility (about self-casting) illusionLAB. Though I've seen some striped artifacts from adjacent objects intersected (but who knows). Now I certainly hope they fix it and would not refer to my pity solution, which is unacceptable in most cases. The FT status has changed to "Assigned" yesterday. Let us live to see.

One observation while I was making a project. The SpotShadow is nothing else but a SpotLight with Multiplier set to 0.

@RobertoColombo Yes, the path would disappear if you did not create at least 2 points for the path at the scene. I could not make it disappear otherwise. But then as KT mentioned, there are so many problems using current path implementation... better wait to see what RL is cooking for us in the next release.

a.misfit.production (7/26/2018)
      Has anybody have this problem? I've tried resolving the issue on two different PC's and no luck. Faceware opens  and calibrates  but will say iClone: No connection.  iClone opens and captures body mocap but  it doesn't give me the Face mocap option. I can open the Motion live plugin but it will give an error of no connection with Faceware. All this is wierd since I was able to run Faceware just fine in trial versions on both PC's. I've also tried disarming the computers defenses, I've unistalled  and reinstalled even after repeating the process after cleaning the temp folders and registries.  

ANY IDEAS??? SadSadSad

ANY ideas?  Most likely Motion LIVE doesn't have a "trial" version of Faceware (it's a different thing than the Faceware plugin itself).  So I suspect you'll need to make a decision on the basis of the trial outside of LIVE.
RobertoColombo (7/25/2018)
So, the problem is the following: I create a path and the new path appear in the scene window.
From this point, if I click over the name of the path in the scene window, then the new path simply disappear!
The way to keep it is to press F2 to make its name edit-able, then insert a new name and confirm.
This way the path remains.

I've just been working on a project for which I created two paths, and I haven't noticed this problem. Is this for a specific project or for any project?

Did you just create the path, but did not set any "points" ?
You will have to set at least 2 "points" (Start + End) otherwise it is not a path and disappears if you want to enter the name...

By wires - 6 Years Ago
Kelleytoons (7/25/2018)
Roberto,

I don't use paths at all, but if I were you I'd hold off on reporting this.  Kai announced that one thing that was improved greatly in the next release was paths.  The way he described it, it sounds like they've been completely reworked.  So at the very least I'd wait for 7.3 (which should be imminent IIRC) and see if you can reproduce your problem.

Do enlighten us Mike.

Where and when did Kai make the comments regarding Paths? 
a.misfit.production (7/26/2018)

ANY IDEAS??? SadSadSad

Have you installed the Faceware Profile for Motion Live?

If so, with Faceware Realtime selected in the Gear List, go to the Character List and select the Face option (the triangle) and it should show a dropdown. Just select Faceware Realtime and it should connect.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/3981e733-4cd1-492c-9afd-9af0.png
wires (7/26/2018)
Kelleytoons (7/25/2018)
Roberto,

Do enlighten us Mike.

Where and when did Kai make the comments regarding Paths? 

Last Webinar on the Curve Editor (which I'm sure is posted or, if not, soon to be -- took place Sunday evening). 

IIRC (and I'm old so I may not) it was in the question and answer section and someone did ask a question about paths (thus the comments).  If anyone is *really* interested in such tidbits, they also mention a few things about CC3 and even iRay (I don't remember what they said about that because my eyes glaze over whenever that subject comes up, as I am only interested in reasonable animation and thus it's just not something I'll ever use).  All in that final 10 minutes or so after the main topic is over.

It was a pretty great seminar on its own and I try not to ever miss such things live because I might have questions (I didn't this time as it was straightforward -- I now "get" the curve editor in a way I never did thanks to this, so that was very helpful).

toystorylab (7/26/2018)

Did you just create the path, but did not set any "points" ?
You will have to set at least 2 "points" (Start + End) otherwise it is not a path and disappears if you want to enter the name...

Hi,

correct: I did not set any points before clicking the path name in the scene window.
So, if the behavior is known and accepted, no issue (even though to me looks a bit a kind of weird behavior...)

Cheers

Roberto

By mark - 6 Years Ago
I guess I'm missing something, as usual, Wink but I've never been able to create a path, period,  without setting at least two points and hitting "Esc" to finish the path. Ermm
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
I dunno guys. For me it's otherwise would not make sense. The path has to have at least 2 points to become a path. So iClone (at minimum) lets you set the initial (start point) and end point at the desired location (which you can edit further afterwards). Why is it weird? Preset (saved paths) are different story. They already have points with location set at the specific coordinates and can be invoked by just double clicking or dragging like any other prop.
iClone is animation program. So why are Viseme and Expression tracks only among people? I have a talking chair. How to be? Thank you.
mark (7/26/2018)
I guess I'm missing something, as usual, Wink but I've never been able to create a path, period,  without setting at least two points and hitting "Esc" to finish the path. Ermm

Hi Mark, 

yes, that's the case, but I got confused because I could rename a path with F2 before creating any points, but not be able to rename by double-clicking the name.
It's just my way of working: I put a name before I use the asset because this forces me to be more ordered and organized.
Now I will just add the points first... easy Smile
Cheers

Roberto

By Gentlegiant783 - 6 Years Ago
all of a sudden I try to open open anything from the Content Manager, and although I can click on things, nothing is showing up, no preview image or anything
By wires - 6 Years Ago
Gentlegiant783 (7/28/2018)
all of a sudden I try to open open anything from the Content Manager, and although I can click on things, nothing is showing up, no preview image or anything

Could you post a screen shot of the issue to help understand the issue.
wires (7/28/2018)

Could you post a screen shot of the issue to help understand the issue.

I click on something in Content, anything, it shows no preview image, shows no file listing, unable to do anything with it
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/b4f0d1f0-425a-4266-ae5e-5d01.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/cc939e21-c4e0-41be-8e2d-9d50.jpg

Please read the Manuals
or see Video-Tutorials

Greets Postfrosch
Actually, the problem is you haven't got the window large enough to show the content -- just drag it out to the right more like in the above picture from Mr. F and then you'll see your stuff.
Kelleytoons (7/28/2018)
Actually, the problem is you haven't got the window large enough to show the content -- just drag it out to the right more like in the above picture from Mr. F and then you'll see your stuff.

no no no, thats not it, was working fine the other day, I make that thing wider and still nothing shows up, I mean literally, it all of a sudden stopped working correclt and was like that, I made no change in what I was doing, it worked fine before

I already know how to open these things, it's just not doing it
Postfrosch (7/28/2018)

Please read the Manuals
or see Video-Tutorials

Greets Postfrosch

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c7a4133b-999a-4d8a-b1bc-30e9.jpg
I'm not using this software for the first time,   I've been using for quite sometime withouht this problem

I already know how to open these things, it's just not doing it
Postfrosch (7/28/2018)

Please read the Manuals
or see Video-Tutorials

Greets Postfrosch

LOL -- you're not making the right PART wider -- you have to drag over the center divider (in your image it's all the way to the right).

Just grab ahold of that, drag it to the LEFT and you'll see the stuff there (I can make a video if you need one -- but as you've been using the software for a while you OUGHT to understand).
Okay, here's a short video (Can't believe I took the time to do this, but I'm waiting for the wife to finish vacuuming before I do more stuff :>Wink

Kelleytoons (7/28/2018)
Okay, here's a short video (Can't believe I took the time to do this, but I'm waiting for the wife to finish vacuuming before I do more stuff :>Wink

Ok damn, shame on me, seriously,  I didn't know that part slid like that, I must have accidentally slid it and could see nothing,   I'm very sorry for making my self look like a dumb arse,  but yeah, I had never slid that ever, or perhaps it's a detail I forgot with al the life drama in and out of my head, in any case, many thanks.

I mean I feel terrible, because I'v un-installed and re-installed twice sense yesterday trying to make it work
That's okay -- I'm an old man and I can't tell you how many times I've had to learn something I thought I knew already.  But don't panic before you come here and ask, because usually folks here are VERY helpful (I know they help me out a lot when I do something dumb, which is at least once a week).  iClone in general shouldn't have to be reinstalled, almost ever.
4u2ges (7/10/2018)
So I finally went ahead and made the video of the "add to perform" bug (where number of static frames are added to the beginning of the clip) with workaround until it fixed (hopefully I am not the only one who is having this problem - or may be vise versa Smile )

FT 3981

Hi 4u2ges,

The issue has been identified but unfortunately may take a little longer to fix than we would like. Sadly it won't be fixed in the next update which is 7.3 but we hope to get it fixed soon after.
Peter (RL) (8/6/2018)

Hi 4u2ges,

The issue has been identified but unfortunately may take a little longer to fix than we would like. Sadly it won't be fixed in the next update which is 7.3 but we hope to get it fixed soon after.

I hope you will rewrite the whole system (not human, human, non standard human). And you will be number one. Mr. Rampa gave a lot of advice. I'm looking forward to. Can we have access to all the roots? And forget as a terrible dream: 

Synchronizing Pivot and Motion Root

And so on. 
We like to animate, not solve puzzles.
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Peter (RL) (8/6/2018)
Hi 4u2ges,

Thank you for the update, Peter.
By khmerlb - 6 Years Ago
I'm getting an issue with "move' and "perform' command. Cannot find file. Please check whether the file exists. C:\users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\TemplateiClone 7 Template\iClone\Template\Motion\ 

I'm using iClone 7.22. I have tried remove/reinstall the app a few times. please provide me a hotfix.
khmerlb (8/8/2018)
I'm getting an issue with "move' and "perform' command. Cannot find file. Please check whether the file exists. C:\users\Public\Documents\Reallusion\TemplateiClone 7 Template\iClone\Template\Motion\ 

I'm using iClone 7.22. I have tried remove/reinstall the app a few times. please provide me a hotfix.

The error indicates that the motion file required for the action is not where iClone is looking for it.

Please tell us which character/persona is causing this problem so we can check the issue. Thanks.
Just a reminder. It still does not work.
By Stintfang - 6 Years Ago
I have hair issues with an DAZ3D characters too. Now. In previous versions of iClone my character rendered pretty well but in 7.22 my girl suddenly got transparent layers of hair. I already wrote to the feedback tracker and still waiting for a good response. But now, after hundereds of test renders it appears to me that the tick for "Supersampling" is the issue. I used to render in a 2x2 matrix and tried a 3x3 matrix only finding the images more distorted than before. So I removed the tick from the square and -my gosh- her hair is there as it is displayed in the viewport.
I can only imagine that by adding the new DOF clickbox there must have happened something to the super sampling feature.

But there must be more to this issue because yesterday I discovered similar errors in my viewport. I informed Realluson and added this youTube video in which you can see me struggling trying to use several lenses for my camera etc.

I hope Reallusion can sort this out.
contact_20091208152644354 (8/16/2018)
I have hair issues with an DAZ3D characters too. Now. In previous versions of iClone my character rendered pretty well but in 7.22 my girl suddenly got transparent layers of hair. I already wrote to the feedback tracker and still waiting for a good response. But now, after hundereds of test renders it appears to me that the tick for "Supersampling" is the issue. I used to render in a 2x2 matrix and tried a 3x3 matrix only finding the images more distorted than before. So I removed the tick from the square and -my gosh- her hair is there as it is displayed in the viewport.
I can only imagine that by adding the new DOF clickbox there must have happened something to the super sampling feature.

But there must be more to this issue because yesterday I discovered similar errors in my viewport. I informed Realluson and added this youTube video in which you can see me struggling trying to use several lenses for my camera etc.

I hope Reallusion can sort this out.

Have you tried putting a check in the "Alpha Threshold" box on the Materials tab of the Modify Panel? This normally helps with this issue.
Hello RL,
here is a copy of Ticket 4033, which I just submitted.

Bug: any motion (ARANEAE TENERBRAE motions) applied to ARANEAE TENERBRAE character from Protofactor crashes iClone.

Simple test:

1. new project
2. insert ARANEAE TENERBRAE character
3. choose any motion (I choose "walk aggressive") from the motions provided by Protofactor for this character
4. iClone crashes

I haven't checked other characters from Protofactor.
Pls, let me know whether you can fix this issue with a quick patch, before IC 7.3, because I need this character and associated animations for my project.

Thanks
Regards

Roberto

By pinguintje - 6 Years Ago
Hi Roberto,
The same problem here.SadSadSad

Maybe this helps.
The Protofactor animals are also in the prop folder with a perform function.
This works ok here.
Maybe a tempory solution for your project.

Best Regards, 
Arie

By Stintfang - 6 Years Ago
Yes, I checked the alpha treshold box. It results in a weird looking hair. Not the fine hair texture is shown but something blocky. I can use the treshold slider to make more or less hair visible. I also checked on the material wether the transparency color selector can change the appearance by changing contrast or brightness etc. not helping.
My guess is that the z-buffer depth is not strong enough. the hair consists of a cap, side1, side2, bangs2, bangs1, backunder, front2, front1, back. The original "Emiliahair" for a Poserfigure was meant to be styled and had these layers. It usually gives my character a spectacular fine realistic look (and it had worked in previous versions of iClone). Unfortunately I haven't seen a simpler hair with the same look.
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Stintfang (8/19/2018)
Yes, I checked the alpha treshold box. It results in a weird looking hair. Not the fine hair texture is shown but something blocky. I can use the treshold slider to make more or less hair visible. I also checked on the material wether the transparency color selector can change the appearance by changing contrast or brightness etc. not helping.
My guess is that the z-buffer depth is not strong enough. the hair consists of a cap, side1, side2, bangs2, bangs1, backunder, front2, front1, back. The original "Emiliahair" for a Poserfigure was meant to be styled and had these layers. It usually gives my character a spectacular fine realistic look (and it had worked in previous versions of iClone). Unfortunately I haven't seen a simpler hair with the same look.

What OS and DirectX is on your PC?
pinguintje (8/19/2018)
Hi Roberto,
The same problem here.SadSadSad

Maybe this helps.
The Protofactor animals are also in the prop folder with a perform function.
This works ok here.
Maybe a tempory solution for your project.

Best Regards, 
Arie

Hi Arie,

thanks.
I will use the prop version, nevertheless I think RL shall guarantee to fix the crash because this is not due to the 3rd party content developer but to RL itself, because the character version worked in previous versions of IC.
I am looking forward for an official response for RL about this issue.

Cheers

Roberto

Answer from RL to the problem of Protofactor character:

"Feedback Tracker Admin Aug 20, 2018
Hi, Roberto,
Thank you for your feedback.
This issue have been solved during our internal testing, it will be released in next patch.
Reallusion"

Very good news and very fast response time: thumbs up

Who can explain why the keys A S D F J are guided by global coordinates?
Time is running out.

It is necessary to tell programmers about the existence of local coordinates, and that they can determine the direction of the face!
Actually, they are only "guided" by whatever you happen to have selected at the time (IOW, if you select local coordinates for both rotate and move, and then use the shortcut keys, they will switch back and forth and still use local coordinates).

Perhaps your more proper question might be "Is there a shortcut key to change from local to global coordinates"?  The answer to that is no.
By WaferShaf - 6 Years Ago
iClone 7.22, 
I imported two iAvatars to pose them together for rendering purposes, but not animate them.
After posing, I saved the project, but when I try to open that saved project, I get a progress window which gets to "Converting Data.. 19%" and then iClone closes with no error messages.
This happens if I double click the saved project icon, or if I open it through 'recent projects', or if I just use 'open'.

How can I resolve this please?

Windows 10
Intel I7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.5 GHz
32GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M

WaferShaf (8/21/2018)
iClone 7.22, 
I imported two iAvatars to pose them together for rendering purposes, but not animate them.
After posing, I saved the project, but when I try to open that saved project, I get a progress window which gets to "Converting Data.. 19%" and then iClone closes with no error messages.
This happens if I double click the saved project icon, or if I open it through 'recent projects', or if I just use 'open'.

Windows 10
32GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M

Are you able to load other projects successfully such as the sample projects that come with iClone?

If the problem is with just this one project, then it may be that the project file is corrupt in some way. If you have a backup (always advised), try to load that version.

Do also try closing iClone, shutting your computer down completely, and then try to load the project again after a reboot.
Peter (RL) (8/22/2018)
WaferShaf (8/21/2018)
iClone 7.22, 

Windows 10
32GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M

Are you able to load other projects successfully such as the sample projects that come with iClone?

If the problem is with just this one project, then it may be that the project file is corrupt in some way. If you have a backup (always advised), try to load that version.

Do also try closing iClone, shutting your computer down completely, and then try to load the project again after a reboot.

Thanks for your response Peter,
I am able to load sample projects , but still unable to open my saved file after reboot. I appreciate that the file may be corrupt, but this is the second time I am having this issue with separate projects. I am wondering if iClone doesn't like me having two iavatars in the same scene, or should it be able to handle that without issue?

Thanks
WaferShaf (8/23/2018)

Thanks for your response Peter,
I am able to load sample projects , but still unable to open my saved file after reboot. I appreciate that the file may be corrupt, but this is the second time I am having this issue with separate projects. I am wondering if iClone doesn't like me having two iavatars in the same scene, or should it be able to handle that without issue?

Thanks

Thanks for supplying more information. You should definitely be able to open a project that has two avatars in it.

Can you send us your dxdiag.txt file and a download link for the project that won't open. You can use Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive etc. to supply a download link. You can either send the files to Support using the link below or just PM them to me. Thanks.

https://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/UserEx/QForm.html

To generate a system dxdiag.txt file, see below.

a) Type "dxdiag.exe" in the Search box on the Task Bar and click "dxdiag.exe run command" from the search list.
b) It will then check your system for a while, after finishing, click "Save All Information"
c) Save "DxDiag.txt". and send this to us.
Thank you Peter, PM sent.
By SagaStudios - 6 Years Ago
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/349ab794-444e-475d-8114-e6a7.pngEver since the new update.  My iClone 7 locks up and stops animating, sometimes it crashes sometimes it works.  I am doing production work and it is pretty horrible.  I have PopcornFX, I have 3 Effects going and then animating the character itself.  My system is pretty decent I am running 2 GTX 1070's in SLI, I have 32 GB of memory and i7 processor that does 3.8GHZ.  So not real sure why I am having issues and I didn't have these issues before the update.
Just so you know, iClone does not support SLI, so effectively you've only one GTX 1070.

This should still work though, especially since you have the 8 GB version. I have the same in my laptop and can do fairly complicated projects, and the project you show is very modest.
By SagaStudios - 6 Years Ago
So I went into the NVIDIA Control center and assigned a video card.  But still having the same issue.  It locks up and doesn't exit so it creates no log file.
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
This has been bugging me for a while. Not sure what update caused that though.

Motion keys cannot be written to particular frames and it happens randomly on certain frames.

Instead, the key is written to the next frame on the left. Depending on which bones are getting transformed, the outcome is unpredictable.
Slippery feet, jerky motions.. etc.  There is nothing helps to fix the faulty frame, except to move the entire clip by a few frames to the left or right.
It might be OK for a simple project. But as complexity of the project grows (linking objects, reach effectors, paths, etc),
it might not be possible to move a clip even by one frame, without breaking a sync chain with other tracks.
And then again even after moving a clip, a faulty frame might appear somewhere else.

It is also possible just to ignore the faulty frame and delete the key-frame,
but then you might not notice the inconsistency until later on, with whole lot of consequences.

Also selecting frames with Shift grabs extra key-frame from the right.
This happens specifically if the last selected frame is close to the end of the clip or is next to faulty frame as described above.

To replicate, open the project below, go to frame 1557, zoom timeline all the way in and try to transform any bone for the default female.

Download the project

By CtrlZ - 6 Years Ago
I have encountered this same problem! 
By sonic7 - 6 Years Ago

4u2ges ..... I can confirm your findings. Downloaded your project file. Copied every step from your video. Result - identical. This being iClone ver 7.22.1724.1
By 4u2ges - 6 Years Ago
Thank you guys for testing and confirming!

Entered into Feedback Tracker issue 4047