Animation Salad - CrazyTalk Animator Contest

Posted By Visconti 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Teviniii (7/20/2011)
Peter, "everyday" is a relative term. For instance, if the protagonist is a doctor or if the setting is a hospital, a stethoscope would be an everyday item. If the item is inanimate (in real life) and PERTINENT to the storyline, would it meet the criterion for "everyday"?

You make a fair point. Maybe we should have said common everyday objects, or everyday objects that we all use. As you rightly say if a Doctor submits an entry with a stethoscope as his main character we could not really disqualify him on that basis. Wink

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

thebiz.movies
thebiz.movies
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Check out this impressive second entry into the contest. Its a transformers parody/retake via Toy Story. Uploaded 2 days ago. Already has 10K views. Even includes a cool side by side comparison after the trailer. Looks like there's a frontrunner already.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c02c75f8-9ae1-4091-b8e9-2175.gifhttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4c56836b-f19d-4836-8a16-6370.gif

Edited
13 Years Ago by thebiz.movies
studevette
studevette
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I checked out the toyformers animation, and I'm not seeing inanimate objects brought to live. I see a lot of camera panning and mouths of people moving with no word syncing. Maybe I just don't understand what an inanimate object is, and what animation is, but I am a newbe and here to learn. It looks more like Japanese anime. Don't get me wrong I think it is a great video but I don't think it meets your criteria. If the characters in the video where created as a animated object (like in a movie or Saturday morning cartoons) do they qualify? Signed really e-z to confuse .

Studevette
Visconti
Visconti
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (46.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (46.8K reputation)

Hi, Studevette

Thanks for your question and concern
Actually, Reallusion doesn't want to make "inanimate objects" so specific which might limit the possibilities. The characters from the movie "Toy Story 3" and "Transformers 3" can be viewed as toys, like Kenny and Barbie. So, it should quite fit the inanimate object (Foodstuff, Toy, Stuffed Animal, Puppet, Tableware) we are encouraging. Some other people also asked if they can animate their drawn characters, I think they are also allowed since drawing is originally inanimate.

Basically these video entries can be well received since we want to open the flexibility to people, but you can feel free to let us know if we can do any improvement to our rule.

Thanks
Visconti

Visconti
Forum Moderator

Reallusion, Inc.
https://forum.reallusion.com

studevette
studevette
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Studevette
Magique
Magique
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
There seems to be a serious problem with this contest. One of the categories is Music Video, which requires the filmmaker to use copyrighted music. You also allow commercial video mash-ups, which would also require use of copyrighted material. The first issue is the biggest concern since these videos are being posted on Youtube. For example, one of the entries in the contest has already had their Youtube account terminated due to multiple copyright violations. Here is the link to that entry, which I got from the Content Submissions Page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B49DxftosAY

I see another video in this thread that has had the same issue. My daughter and I want to do a music video as well, but if our Youtube accounts are going to be suspended due to copyright violations and our entries deleted then what's the point?

How is this going to be resolved?

Cricky
W00t
Cricky
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement from claimants including:

Kathi McDonald & Marin Records
EMERSONGS, LTD. / EMERSON TOURING, LTD.

YouTube doesn't just terminate on a whim...or least that has been my experience...They will give warning first and you can contact the original author to see i they will allow use of their content (ie Music).

They also have alternative music which can be used...and applied if the user wishes.

I have been given warnings too, but there are limits and I try and use what is available on the sites which offer this, "Freeplay music" is one such site. I either delete the video, fix it using their offerings of music on YouTube, fix it on my system, and/or suffer the consequences.

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "
Magique
Magique
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

The problem, as I see it, isn't necessarily trying to find music that Youtube isn't going to complain about or that you can somehow contact the owner and get permission, which is difficult at best, but rather that Reallusion is allowing and encouraging the use of copyrighted material in the submission. This is a big "no-no" and I've never seen it allowed in a contest of this sort. I was rather surprised to see it being "OK," but not surprised at seeing the results of peoples' attempts to do it.

As far as submissions go, Reallusion would get no flack from anyone for allowing it because it isn't them personally violating copyright during the submission process. However, I don't see how they can turn around and use winning entries for promotional purposes. We are talking about copyright law here and I don't believe this sort of contest is exempt from the law.

Teviniii
Teviniii
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Magique (8/18/2011)
The problem, as I see it, isn't necessarily trying to find music that Youtube isn't going to complain about or that you can somehow contact the owner and get permission, which is difficult at best, but rather that Reallusion is allowing and encouraging the use of copyrighted material in the submission. This is a big "no-no" and I've never seen it allowed in a contest of this sort. I was rather surprised to see it being "OK," but not surprised at seeing the results of peoples' attempts to do it.

As far as submissions go, Reallusion would get no flack from anyone for allowing it because it isn't them personally violating copyright during the submission process. However, I don't see how they can turn around and use winning entries for promotional purposes. We are talking about copyright law here and I don't believe this sort of contest is exempt from the law.

All three of my contest entries have been musicals. I never felt "encouraged" by Reallusion to use copyrighted music. Additionally, I can't say that I've ever seen a Reallusion promo that contained copyrighted music; that is, music that I recognized as belonging to someone else.
Magique
Magique
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Teviniii (8/18/2011)

All three of my contest entries have been musicals. I never felt "encouraged" by Reallusion to use copyrighted music. Additionally, I can't say that I've ever seen a Reallusion promo that contained copyrighted music; that is, music that I recognized as belonging to someone else.

Here is the info on the Music Video type entry:

Music Video
Dust off your records and polish your directing skills, by creating your very own Music Video entry with song and dance.

The phrase "Dust off your records" clearly promotes breaking out your commercial record/CD collection and using that for your entry. Plus, it doesn't say anywhere in the rules that you can't use copyrighted music. That's a pretty standard clause in all contests I've ever entered.

Also, it states the following:

Submitted videos may incorporate footage from other video games or commercial clips for a media mash-up...

That encourages the use of copyrighted material as well.

I'm not trying to make trouble, just trying to protect myself and to be sure of the rules. It's a great contest and I want to enter.

Edited
13 Years Ago by Magique

Reading This Topic