Animation Salad - CrazyTalk Animator Contest

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic85994.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Visconti - 13 Years Ago

http://www.reallusion.com/event/11-crazytalkcontest/default.html

Summer is here and so is the Reallusion Filmmaking Competition, but this time around we have the new and amazing CrazyTalk Animator to play with. CrazyTalk Animator is a revolutionary animation engine which allows you animate anything! Create actors from photographs or illustrations, and bring them to life with automatic facial & body fitting editors.

Bring out your toys, puppets, fruits, vegetables or anything you like; snap on a pair of eyes & limbs, and start animating your way to stardom. Create a funny, educational or viral video and get instantly noticed while winning great prizes like iPad2, XBox 360 and others from our branded sponsors!

By thebiz.movies - 13 Years Ago
I was just thinking last night about we need to see more quality CTA clips/movies. Hopefully this will generate some.

Am I crazy or is there no submission date posted as yet?
By kurzal - 13 Years Ago
thebiz.movies (6/24/2011)
... is there no submission date posted as yet?

As stated here:
To submit, all participants should register as a Reallusion member and submit their videos via the Submission Form before 09/30/2011 midnight/Pacific Time.
By studevette - 13 Years Ago
This video is no longer available
I was wondering if someone could clarify the video views/popularity criteria for the entrees. Is it counting total video views from the life of the video or only for a certain time frame? If I don't get my movie posted until September 30th how much time will I have to garner views? Can we upload to multiple sites and combine the views (youtube/vimeo) or just embed it everywhere we can? Clarification on this issue would be helpful. Thanks.
thebiz.movies

Thanks for asking
The video popularity will base on the total video view, and Reallusion will check the view number of each video in one day after the submission closes. Reallusion will only check one video URL in the submission list. It means we won't receive repeated video entries with different links, and we will only judge the view number from one source site. Of course you can publish the same video in different places, but eventually you will select the one with the most views as the video URL for entry.

If people submit the video earlier, they might have better chance to get higher views. But it's not necessary, the video popularity somehow depends on the video quality and how easy people can find it. Since the popularity is just one of the judging criteria in certain awards, you may still evaluate what would best fit your prize expectation.

Good Luck Smile
Visconti

Thanks for the clarification.
Another question (sorry, I'm easily confused). I'm working on an entry. My everyday item is sushi. I have drawn the sushi instead of photographing it. Wolfzone has suggested that a photograph may be necessary.

Must we photograph our subject(or rip a photo from the interweb) or is it o.k. to have created the subject in a more creative way so long as it is a depiction of an everyday type of item?

By Peter (RL) - 13 Years Ago
thebiz.movies (7/19/2011)
Another question (sorry, I'm easily confused). I'm working on an entry. My everyday item is sushi. I have drawn the sushi instead of photographing it. Wolfzone has suggested that a photograph may be necessary.

Must we photograph our subject(or rip a photo from the interweb) or is it o.k. to have created the subject in a more creative way so long as it is a depiction of an everyday type of item?

Using a drawing instead of a photo will be fine. The important criteria is that the subject character should be an everyday item such as foodstuff, toys, household items etc.

By Teviniii - 13 Years Ago
Peter, "everyday" is a relative term. For instance, if the protagonist is a doctor or if the setting is a hospital, a stethoscope would be an everyday item. If the item is inanimate (in real life) and PERTINENT to the storyline, would it meet the criterion for "everyday"?
By Peter (RL) - 13 Years Ago
Teviniii (7/20/2011)
Peter, "everyday" is a relative term. For instance, if the protagonist is a doctor or if the setting is a hospital, a stethoscope would be an everyday item. If the item is inanimate (in real life) and PERTINENT to the storyline, would it meet the criterion for "everyday"?

You make a fair point. Maybe we should have said common everyday objects, or everyday objects that we all use. As you rightly say if a Doctor submits an entry with a stethoscope as his main character we could not really disqualify him on that basis. Wink

Check out this impressive second entry into the contest. Its a transformers parody/retake via Toy Story. Uploaded 2 days ago. Already has 10K views. Even includes a cool side by side comparison after the trailer. Looks like there's a frontrunner already.
I checked out the toyformers animation, and I'm not seeing inanimate objects brought to live. I see a lot of camera panning and mouths of people moving with no word syncing. Maybe I just don't understand what an inanimate object is, and what animation is, but I am a newbe and here to learn. It looks more like Japanese anime. Don't get me wrong I think it is a great video but I don't think it meets your criteria. If the characters in the video where created as a animated object (like in a movie or Saturday morning cartoons) do they qualify? Signed really e-z to confuse .
Hi, Studevette

Thanks for your question and concern
Actually, Reallusion doesn't want to make "inanimate objects" so specific which might limit the possibilities. The characters from the movie "Toy Story 3" and "Transformers 3" can be viewed as toys, like Kenny and Barbie. So, it should quite fit the inanimate object (Foodstuff, Toy, Stuffed Animal, Puppet, Tableware) we are encouraging. Some other people also asked if they can animate their drawn characters, I think they are also allowed since drawing is originally inanimate.

Basically these video entries can be well received since we want to open the flexibility to people, but you can feel free to let us know if we can do any improvement to our rule.

Thanks
Visconti
Thank you for clearing that up for me.
By Magique - 13 Years Ago
There seems to be a serious problem with this contest. One of the categories is Music Video, which requires the filmmaker to use copyrighted music. You also allow commercial video mash-ups, which would also require use of copyrighted material. The first issue is the biggest concern since these videos are being posted on Youtube. For example, one of the entries in the contest has already had their Youtube account terminated due to multiple copyright violations. Here is the link to that entry, which I got from the Content Submissions Page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B49DxftosAY

I see another video in this thread that has had the same issue. My daughter and I want to do a music video as well, but if our Youtube accounts are going to be suspended due to copyright violations and our entries deleted then what's the point?

How is this going to be resolved?

By Cricky - 13 Years Ago
terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement from claimants including:

Kathi McDonald & Marin Records
EMERSONGS, LTD. / EMERSON TOURING, LTD.

YouTube doesn't just terminate on a whim...or least that has been my experience...They will give warning first and you can contact the original author to see i they will allow use of their content (ie Music).

They also have alternative music which can be used...and applied if the user wishes.

I have been given warnings too, but there are limits and I try and use what is available on the sites which offer this, "Freeplay music" is one such site. I either delete the video, fix it using their offerings of music on YouTube, fix it on my system, and/or suffer the consequences.

The problem, as I see it, isn't necessarily trying to find music that Youtube isn't going to complain about or that you can somehow contact the owner and get permission, which is difficult at best, but rather that Reallusion is allowing and encouraging the use of copyrighted material in the submission. This is a big "no-no" and I've never seen it allowed in a contest of this sort. I was rather surprised to see it being "OK," but not surprised at seeing the results of peoples' attempts to do it.

As far as submissions go, Reallusion would get no flack from anyone for allowing it because it isn't them personally violating copyright during the submission process. However, I don't see how they can turn around and use winning entries for promotional purposes. We are talking about copyright law here and I don't believe this sort of contest is exempt from the law.

Magique (8/18/2011)
The problem, as I see it, isn't necessarily trying to find music that Youtube isn't going to complain about or that you can somehow contact the owner and get permission, which is difficult at best, but rather that Reallusion is allowing and encouraging the use of copyrighted material in the submission. This is a big "no-no" and I've never seen it allowed in a contest of this sort. I was rather surprised to see it being "OK," but not surprised at seeing the results of peoples' attempts to do it.

As far as submissions go, Reallusion would get no flack from anyone for allowing it because it isn't them personally violating copyright during the submission process. However, I don't see how they can turn around and use winning entries for promotional purposes. We are talking about copyright law here and I don't believe this sort of contest is exempt from the law.

All three of my contest entries have been musicals. I never felt "encouraged" by Reallusion to use copyrighted music. Additionally, I can't say that I've ever seen a Reallusion promo that contained copyrighted music; that is, music that I recognized as belonging to someone else.
Teviniii (8/18/2011)

All three of my contest entries have been musicals. I never felt "encouraged" by Reallusion to use copyrighted music. Additionally, I can't say that I've ever seen a Reallusion promo that contained copyrighted music; that is, music that I recognized as belonging to someone else.

Here is the info on the Music Video type entry:

Music Video
Dust off your records and polish your directing skills, by creating your very own Music Video entry with song and dance.

The phrase "Dust off your records" clearly promotes breaking out your commercial record/CD collection and using that for your entry. Plus, it doesn't say anywhere in the rules that you can't use copyrighted music. That's a pretty standard clause in all contests I've ever entered.

Also, it states the following:

Submitted videos may incorporate footage from other video games or commercial clips for a media mash-up...

That encourages the use of copyrighted material as well.

I'm not trying to make trouble, just trying to protect myself and to be sure of the rules. It's a great contest and I want to enter.

@Magique

Okay, I clearly understand what you are saying now.
You are part right about Youtube. Youtube did not violate me, it was the copyright holder. It is at their whim whether to allow the material or not. sometimes they block a song, sometimes they notify you that they are posting ads, and once in a while the copyright holder decides to play hardball and violate you. If you get three violations you are suspended, there is no time limit to how long it takes to add up to three. In my case it was close to three years, and the last song was on Youtube for almost eight months before Keith Emerson decided to violate a forty year old song.
By ThorstenMihm - 13 Years Ago
Hello,

I subscribed my video for the Contest 6 days ago but I couldn´t see it on the Contest page.

What shall I do?

Thank you and greetings from Germany

Thorsten
ThorstenMihm (9/7/2011)
Hello,

I subscribed my video for the Contest 6 days ago but I couldn´t see it on the Contest page.

What shall I do?

I am wondering the same thing.  Its coming up on 11 days now and my entree hasnt shown up.  Being that there is a popularity portion of the vote here it seems as if entrees should be posted in a reasonable fashion to ensure fairness and such.  Im assuming I didnt make any mistakes in submitting it...

By Ulli01 - 13 Years Ago
Hello dear RL-Team, Kiss

I subscribed my video for the contest 6 days ago, but it is not on the contest page - and the german contest ends this month.

Please tell me, what can I do?

Thanks a lot for your help and many greetings

Ulli

By Ulli01 - 13 Years Ago
Thank you so much - the video is on the page. BigGrin

Ulli

By Luna - 13 Years Ago
Hi!

I find it absolutely unfair how you deal with this contest. You post the link to some contestant videos on your Reallusion-Facebook-site and in the E-Mail-Newsletter I received today. And you hype up for some videos on the Real-Time-2D-Live-Channel. But some - me included - you don't mention. For this contest it's important how many clicks the video reaches. This is an important criterion, it counts. Yes, I feel overlooked and cheated. Long time I was quite and just observed it. But as I received the Newsletter today with "the German contestant videos" (where I was not mentioned!), where one can start the videos directly from the E-Mail, I had to say it out. I'm not a person who claims all the time and loud - but now I can't understand the world.

Luna

By hushfilm - 13 Years Ago
Hey there,
I submitted 2 videos 2 weeks ago, but they are still not on the contest page. Ermm
Did I something wrong?
By Luna - 13 Years Ago
Hallo!

Concerning my postig above; today Reallusion has inserted on Facebook a link to my video on Youtube, too. Thanks for this honourable reaction! Now I don't feel so excluded.

Greetings

Luna

By Mike Hunt - 13 Years Ago
Just to clarify the rules, it says that, "Submitted videos MUST contain at least one character created from everyday objects. (refer to character suggestions above)"

Is the interpretation of everday objects mean that it must be some object that we take our own personal photo of and then convert (I was initially assuming)?  For example, I think the Toyformers video is cool, but it only seems to use copyrighted photos for every character in the video.  Are copyrighted photos found on google considered everyday objects?  If this is true, it would significantly change the strategy in the type of submission to be worked on.

It would seem more fair that entries should be required to identify the everyday object included in the video? Maybe the person took pictures of their own Toy Story 3 toys??  Some of the entries do not look like they have any everyday objects in them.

Hey there,
Another 10 days has gone and my 2 videos I submitted 4 weeks ago are still not on the contest page. Sad
Neither did I get an answer to my question in this forum.
Hellooo, anybody home?

Everything's solved. Thanks! BigGrin
By Mike Hunt - 13 Years Ago
Mad_Poet (10/13/2011)
Just to clarify the rules, it says that, "Submitted videos MUST contain at least one character created from everyday objects. (refer to character suggestions above)"

Is the interpretation of everday objects mean that it must be some object that we take our own personal photo of and then convert (I was initially assuming)?  For example, I think the Toyformers video is cool, but it only seems to use copyrighted photos for every character in the video.  Are copyrighted photos found on google considered everyday objects?  If this is true, it would significantly change the strategy in the type of submission to be worked on.

It would seem more fair that entries should be required to identify the everyday object included in the video? Maybe the person took pictures of their own Toy Story 3 toys??  Some of the entries do not look like they have any everyday objects in them.

thanks for not answering my question.  great service.

By Bruce (RL) - 13 Years Ago
Mad_Poet (11/2/2011)
[quote]Mad_Poet (10/13/2011)

Dear Mad Poet,

As for the issue of everyday object, we've made a reply in July under this thread (on page 2). Basically, Reallusion doesn't want to make "everyday object" so specific which might limit the possibilities. The characters in "Toyformers" such as Kenny and Barbie can be viewed as toys. So, it can be viewed as everyday object (Foodstuff, Toy, Stuffed Animal, Puppet, Tableware).

For copyright issue, the reason why Reallusion didn't make any regulation is because that we didn't want to limit contestants' creativity in making animation. However, we'll fighure out how to avoid this kind of issue in future events. Thanks for your concern and advices.Smile

Thanks,

Your Reallusion Staff