Profile Picture

What are the video format import limitations?

Posted By gordoTalk 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
gordoTalk
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 12 Years Ago
Animator is described as being able to import .avi, .mov and a number of other video file formats.

What are the limitations on these formats which Animator supports?

For example, resolution, resolution by powers of 2, bit depth, alpha channel, etc. Presumably Animator will import video content generated by Reallusions other products in the *.iWidget and *.popVideo formats. Unfortunately it's looking to me that .mov files with alpha channel are not supported. So I'd like to confirm what is supported first.

Apparantly, there may be a "power of 2" limitation. I had an .avi file that plays fine on XP but Animator would not import it.

Also, how would you have Animator loop the imported video? And can you key a stop, or restart of the video?
Edited
14 Years Ago by gordoTalk
gordoTalk
gordoTalk
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

gordoTalk (12/23/2010)
Animator is described as being able to import .avi, .mov and a number of other video file formats.

What are the limitations on these formats which Animator supports?

For example, resolution, resolution by powers of 2, bit depth, alpha channel, etc. Presumably Animator will import video content generated by Reallusions other products in the *.iWidget and *.popVideo formats. Unfortunately it's looking to me that .mov files with alpha channel are not supported. So I'd like to confirm what is supported first.

Apparantly, there may be a "power of 2" limitation. I had an .avi file that plays fine on XP but Animator would not import it.

Also, how would you have Animator loop the imported video? And can you key a stop, or restart of the video?

Tried the online help, and they list support for a number of video formats. No description of limitations or requirements. Can anyone verify which video specifications work?
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
gordoTalk (12/29/2010)
Tried the online help, and they list support for a number of video formats. No description of limitations or requirements. Can anyone verify which video specifications work?

In general any video that can be played in Windows Media Player should work fine in CTA (As long as it is one of the accepted formats). Personally I don't use .MOV format as this can cause problems without having additional codecs installed. WMV and AVI should cause you no problems and of course you can use popVideos which give excellent results.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

gordoTalk
gordoTalk
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I had a problem with the transparency in a video not importing correctly in CTA.

Does CTA support transparency?

It must for your own product (popvideo is it called). But does it support transparency in
standard videos?
gordoTalk
gordoTalk
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

gordoTalk (1/5/2011)
I had a problem with the transparency in a video not importing correctly in CTA.

Does CTA support transparency?

It must for your own product (popvideo is it called). But does it support transparency in
standard videos?

Any ideas on how to get CTA to support a video clip with transparency?
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (115.8K reputation)

gordoTalk (1/9/2011)Any ideas on how to get CTA to support a video clip with transparency?

If you want to import video with a transparent background into CTA then popVideos are the way to go. Using popVideo Converter will save you so much time and is so easy to use. On top of that the results are excellent. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

gordoTalk
gordoTalk
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Peter (RL) (1/11/2011)
gordoTalk (1/9/2011)Any ideas on how to get CTA to support a video clip with transparency?

If you want to import video with a transparent background into CTA then popVideos are the way to go. Using popVideo Converter will save you so much time and is so easy to use. On top of that the results are excellent. Smile

What if we don't want, or need, to buy popVideos? Like in the circumstance where we already have a video which has alpha channel for transparent background?

Since CTA can import vid with alpha channel via your other product popVideos, surely there must be something I'm doing wrong. How do I get CTA to honor the alpha channel info that is not coming from your other product?
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

gordoTalk (1/24/2011)
Since CTA can import vid with alpha channel via your other product popVideos, surely there must be something I'm doing wrong. How do I get CTA to honor the alpha channel info that is not coming from your other product?

If you want to import video with a transparent background then I'm afraid you will need to use popVideos as this is the only supported format for drag and drop into your scene.

However if you have iClone for example you can export popVideos directly from this which can be opened in CTA without you needing to own popVideo Converter itself.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

dazza.logan
dazza.logan
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)Junior Member (215 reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Hi

What does "power of 2" video mean?

When producing a video from say, Windows Movie Maker or Cyberlink Powerdirector... how do I ensure the output is compatible with CTA?
E.g. what is the movie format/configuration to ensure "power of 2"

There's nothing obvious in the produce settings of either movie software.

Thanks

Regards,
Darren
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi Darren

The "Power of 2" video issue is explained on the thread below (last post). This should help. Smile

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic73666-251-1.aspx

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Reading This Topic