Rokoko Animation to iClone - Dancing couple

Posted By s.app Last Month
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
s.app
Posted Last Month
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Hello everyone,I have the problem that animation recorded using Rokoko Mocap is not displayed in iClone as it was recorded.

The following information about my software versions:
1) iClone 7.93
2) 3DXChange 7.81
3) Character Creator 3.44

I recorded a dancing couple with the help of Rococo Mocap.The animation was exported and converted using 3DXChange and transferred to iClone.I also created two characters with CC3 (approximate size of the two people) and transferred them to iClone.I then assigned the animation to the characters.

The result, compared to the original animations from Rokoko (FBX simply inserted into iClone via drag & drop --> white dummy characters), looks like this:

Frame 7

Frame 174

Problem:
The step size seems too big. My two CC3 characters are too far apart.
No matter how I resize my characters in CC3, the animation doesn't change. Or the characters don't come closer together.

Can someone tell me how I can make it so that, analogous to the original animations (white dummy characters), I can transfer this to my other CC3 characters.
If possible, describe the route in detail.
Or is there already a tutorial that I couldn't find.

Many thanks in advance

Stephen
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 days ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
First, try to identify where the problem is - retargeting or character scaling.
While exporting a motion from 3DX check "Export Geometry" as well.
Then apply created dummy character, apply exported motion and compare with the dummy prop (from FBX drag/drop).
You may want to zero out location for both - dummy character and dummy prop to make sure they occupy the same space.
If they do not match substantially, then you have a problem with bones re-targeting.

And if they do match, replace dummy with real character and compare proportions while dummy and a character occupy the same space.
You may just need to shorten the legs (to match steps) and extend arms (for hands contact) in CC.

Edited
6 days ago by 4u2ges
s.app
s.app
Posted 6 days ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.6K reputation)

Hello,
thanks for the tipps.
I brought my character and also the dummy (actually a prop) to the same position with Reset (Zero out).

Frame 7 now looks like this

Frame 172 like this.

It looks like the foot positions are correct.

However, the CC3 character seems to have tipped backwards.
Thinking if I could get my CC3 character's tilt forward and maintain the foot position, then that might be the solution.

How can I correct that?

Stephan
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 6 days ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)

With CC character it would always be a mismatch.
But again, you need to identify the source of the problem.

Did you verify the dummy character vs dummy prop match?
If bones are mapped correctly there should be a minimal discrepancy.

Like this one. Red is a dummy prop and white is the dummy character. I consider this a successful re-targeting.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/317c5938-160e-44a3-82c1-5b01.jpg
Do you have the same match?

If it matches, then you probably want to use a Pose Offset in CC to tweak the posture of your characters.
Also in 3DX there a Hip Offset control you may use before hitting "Convert" (not sure if it's going to help much)
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/34254942-12e7-45bc-9216-d34d.jpg

But if dummies upper body do NOT match at all, you need to redo the bone mapping. Maybe you missed one spine bone.

Edited
6 days ago by 4u2ges
s.app
s.app
Posted 5 days ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hello,
I'm sorry, but I don't think I fully understand what I should do exactly (unfortunately I'm still inexperienced with iClone)

Currently I'm using CC3 characters and Rokoko's animation
When exporting from Rokoko, I can choose between the following export options
HumanIK, Mixamo, iClone
However, they all look the same to me.
Which one should I use?

I've now used HumanIK
First I dragged and dropped the animation into iClone.
Then transferred my customized CC3 character and assigned the previously converted animation via 3DXChange (with Export Geometry).
I use this setting. Is that right?

Then I reset both with (Reset Zero Out).
Then it looks like this:

It doesn't match like it did for you.
How do I get that fixed?

But if I understood it correctly, it should look like this:
Correct this manuelly.

Frame 7 looks like that

"However, if the dummy's torso does NOT match at all, you will need to repeat the bone mapping. You may have missed a spinal bone."
What exactly do I have to do? And where exactly can I do that?
Unfortunately I don't know how and where to do the retargeting!

Where do I actually get the dummy character so that it looks exactly like the prop?

Best regards
Stephan

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 5 days ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I've now used HumanIK
First I dragged and dropped the animation into iClone.
Then transferred my customized CC3 character and assigned the previously converted animation via 3DXChange (with Export Geometry).

So this is the key. I understand you just select "Maya Human-IK" profile for conversion (another word for it is retargeting or bones mapping).
There is also Custom - manual bones mapping option which I thought you are using.

But anyway, each time you select "
Export Geometry" a dummy character is created in Custom Avatar content section.
And they usually named the same as a motion clip.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/4cd206a2-b51b-4815-a835-c4fb.jpg
Check it, you probably have quite a few by now. Those I meant to be compared with dummy props.
See if that matches.

Otherwise I'd say it would be a quite a tough job to couple them together precisely.
I've never seen any tutorial about the subject as it might vary greatly from case to case.
In your case it would mostly involve setting a matching posture for upper torso bones (in both IK and FK modes) on first animation staring frame (not T-pose frame).

Edited
5 days ago by 4u2ges
s.app
s.app
Posted 5 days ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Hi,
thanks for the informations.
After I use the Mixamo-Export-Animation, the Prop and the dummy match pretty good.

Frame 7:

Frame 174

Thanks for this important step.

Aber irgendwie klappt's mit dem CC3-Charakter immer noch nicht.
After Reset (Zero Out)

I'll test it further tomorrow.

I would be grateful for further tips.

Thank you once again.

Stephan

Reading This Topic